+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mike Green | RIP

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Mike Green | RIP

Glad he was inducted into the Tech HOF before he passed. Certainly didn't seem like that would happen for a long time.

Prayers to his family.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    My freshman year I was privileged to see Mike & Mike (Green & McConathy) and company. It was something to see and I never missed a home game. It was an awesome team! So glad Mike Green is in our Hall of Fame as he certainly earned and deserved the honor. Rest in peace, Mike.
    Yes it was awesome! Showing up at 4:30 pm for seating at a 7 pm Tech game. Wow!

PS. A very minor correction to your gracious comments: The only time Mike McConathy was on the bench for a Tech game being played by Mike Green was the 1972-73 season when Opie was being recruited from Bossier City by Coach Scotty Robertson. Greenie showed an aggravated moment on an officiating call and Scotty called a timeout. In the timeout, Scotty said to Greenie, "Look I know your mad, but you don't look good out there doing what you did. I got this kid behind you I'm trying to come to Tech, so please . . . ."
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

RIP to one of our best Bulldog basketball players ever.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

I was in the 8th - 11 grades when Green was at Tech but I went to many games. Those with USL were especially memorable.
    Go Tech!

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Charlie Bishop 7 foot-- think Leon Barmore was senior and Mike was freshman. what a monster program--we were ranked #1 in nation --- ?division 2?) We would drive to Lafayette to play Southwestern and they had #1 scorer in nation. Games against them were epic-- Our coach was Scotty Robertson who became first coach of New Orleans Jazz and eventually scout for Detroit.

I have trouble remembering things but this was over 50 years ago and I still remember how much I loved watching these guys play --

?john pat Stephenson ?
    Last edited by Dogsince65; 10-03-2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Mike Green

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    Damn Tom...those shoes!
    I was thinking the same thing.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Yes it was awesome! Showing up at 4:30 pm for seating at a 7 pm Tech game. Wow!

PS. A very minor correction to your gracious comments: The only time Mike McConathy was on the bench for a Tech game being played by Mike Green was the 1972-73 season when Opie was being recruited from Bossier City by Coach Scotty Robertson. Greenie showed an aggravated moment on an officiating call and Scotty called a timeout. In the timeout, Scotty said to Greenie, "Look I know your mad, but you don't look good out there doing what you did. I got this kid behind you I'm trying to come to Tech, so please . . . ."
    Given the choice of my failing memory and the facts, I choose my memory.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    Given the choice of my failing memory and the facts, I choose my memory.
    wont be long I will be remembering when Bradshaw thru swing pass to Rattay and Dixon tackles him for a loss. Ken Antee will throw a flag and Henderson decks him. a fight about to start and Amik gets between them and blocks the fight

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

I was blessed to grow up in Ruston and go to the TECH lab school, with a young Daddy who was a TECH fan.

It was great. My Dad was a barber just off of the campus and cut many of the Athletes hair, including Bradshaw and Spinks.

My Best friends’ Daddy was the color commentator for radio broadcasts.

My lab school PE Teachers? Mike Green, Mike Barber, Pat Tilley, Billy Rickman, Roger Carr, Denny Duron, Mike McConathy. The list was endless and they were all great people.

We got to interact with the golden age of TECH athletes as kids. One of them became my basketball coach in high school and one of the greatest influences in my life to this day, Tommy Joe Eagles.

I wouldn’t trade my life for anything and Mike Green was a wonderful influence to a young me.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    I was blessed to grow up in Ruston and go to the TECH lab school, with a young Daddy who was a TECH fan.

It was great. My Dad was a barber just off of the campus and cut many of the Athletes hair, including Bradshaw and Spinks.

My Best friends’ Daddy was the color commentator for radio broadcasts.

My lab school PE Teachers? Mike Green, Mike Barber, Pat Tilley, Billy Rickman, Roger Carr, Denny Duron, Mike McConathy. The list was endless and they were all great people.

We got to interact with the golden age of TECH athletes as kids. One of them became my basketball coach in high school and one of the greatest influences in my life to this day, Tommy Joe Eagles.

I wouldn’t trade my life for anything and Mike Green was a wonderful influence to a young me.
    Thank you for sharing. Very very cool.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    wont be long I will be remembering when Bradshaw thru swing pass to Rattay and Dixon tackles him for a loss. Ken Antee will throw a flag and Henderson decks him. a fight about to start and Amik gets between them and blocks the fight
    Then Fred Dean steps in and throws EVERYONE out of the ring.

Varsity Bulldog dadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Greenie was absolutely the best COLLEGE basketball player I've been around.

6-11 and lean, he could jump out of the gym. Oh and shoot baskets too (dunking was a no-no as per NCAA rules).

I think we all found about his death here at the same time. A perfect example of a sports star outkicking his coverage.

I am forever grateful to the Dr. Guice administration for clearing the way finally for Mike Green's induction into the Tech sports Hall of Fame, several (SEVERAL) years after his induction into the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame.

Here is a picture of a college freshmen wishing him well in 1973 after the conclusion of his senior season. I think it was Easter weekend and I had just eaten lunch with my parents when we spotted him at Hutcheson Dorm and took this pic.
    Attachment 14348
    Tom, I did not know you were a midget when you came to Tech! Thanks for the memories Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by dadawgula View Post
    Tom, I did not know you were a midget when you came to Tech! Thanks for the memories Mike!
    THAT's why I wanted my dad to take that photo.

Rest in peace, Mike Green.
    (1951–2018)

- Tech's all-time leader in points & rebounds
    - AP College Division Player of Year
    - @SouthlandSports Player of Year
    - 1st round, 4th pick in NBA Draft by @SeattleSonics
    - ABA All-Rookie Team
    - ABA All-Star

#LaTech #DunkinDawgs

@TMoPix

His scoring record is even more awesome when you realize his three years at @LATechHoops NCAA rules prohibited the 6-11 center’s team from being the “Dunkin”Dawgs.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

So sorry to hear of Mike Green's passing. I can't believe the local media didn't pick up on this earlier.

Most of us know that MG is still LA Tech's ALL-TIME leading scorer and rebounder. WOW! For a guy that played 46 years ago --and BEFORE the invention of the 3 point shot, and before freshmen were allowed to play-- that's a remarkable achievement. No doubt, Mike Green was the epitome of "the great athlete", and far ahead of his time. Godspeed to Mike Green.

My sympathies to MG's family and friends.

+ Reply to Thread