+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mike Green | RIP

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Re: Mike Green | RIP

I cut out of studying for a final to watch Mike, Andy Knowles, Jenkins, etc. double the score on Auburn. They completely embarrassed that team and was actually playing with them. Mike was the best BB player I have ever seen. Someone once told me he could pick a quarter off of the top of the backboard. Thanks for the many great games Mike. RIP
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    So sorry to hear of Mike Green's passing. I can't believe the local media didn't pick up on this earlier.

Most of us know that MG is still LA Tech's ALL-TIME leading scorer and rebounder. WOW! For a guy that played 46 years ago --and BEFORE the invention of the 3 point shot, and before freshmen were allowed to play-- that's a remarkable achievement. No doubt, Mike Green was the epitome of "the great athlete", and far ahead of his time. Godspeed to Mike Green.

My sympathies to MG's family and friends.
    I was saying he played only 3 years. NOT CORRECT. Keith Prince reminded me he DID play 4.

And remember. NO dunking at the time allowed by the NCAA.
    Louisiana Tech University

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    I was saying he played only 3 years. NOT CORRECT. Keith Prince reminded me he DID play 4.

And remember. NO dunking at the time allowed by the NCAA.
    According to this, the Freshman eligibility rule was implemented for football and basketball in 1972. I believe that was when Mike Green was a junior or senior? Since his freshman year had already passed, I'm not sure how Green got a 4th year of eligibility in unless the NCAA added another year onto the back of his (and other upperclassmen's) playing career.

https://ussporthistory.com/2015/10/2...e-in-the-ncaa/

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Hall of Fame story says 4 year letterman https://latechsports.com/news/2015/1...ike_Green.aspx

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

We were D2 - maybe there were different rules

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

That must be it. Maravich only played 3 and think he was only 2 years older than Green

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    That must be it. Maravich only played 3 and think he was only 2 years older than Green
    That's where I got offtrack. I arrived Green's senior year so I assumed he played Freshmen team . . . .

Greenie's SID at the time corrected me. He would be the one keeping records of the time, so . . . I'm sure he very well remembers the timeframe.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    So sorry to hear of Mike Green's passing. I can't believe the local media didn't pick up on this earlier.

Most of us know that MG is still LA Tech's ALL-TIME leading scorer and rebounder. WOW! For a guy that played 46 years ago --and BEFORE the invention of the 3 point shot, and before freshmen were allowed to play-- that's a remarkable achievement. No doubt, Mike Green was the epitome of "the great athlete", and far ahead of his time. Godspeed to Mike Green.

My sympathies to MG's family and friends.
    It's hard for the local media to pick up a story that Tech's SID ignores.

After all these years, I truly don't get Tech's beef with Mike Green. I thought the administration change and finally getting him in the HOF would've been plenty enough to leave the pettiness in the past and give him his due respect. I guess not.

It's called outkicking your coverage.

Puppy MikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the rough

Re: Mike Green

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Fan View Post
    The funeral is going to be at 4:00 pm Thursday, October 4, 2018 in Denver. He actually died on September 25, 2018 according to the funeral home which misspelled his first name. His obituary is rather bare bones at this point. https://www.pipkinbraswell.com/obitu...reen/_/1815901
    Hi- I’m his daughter and his name is spelled correctly-Micheal. His obituary was purposely bare bones as he didn’t even want a viewing. He wanted to be directly cremated.

Puppy MikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the roughMikeGreen73 is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for your condolences!

Thank you so much for the kind words about my father.

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

All of us who got to watch your father play are very lucky! He was a very gifted athlete . You have my condolences .

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Hear hear. Nice memories in Memorial Gym

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

My sincere condolences.
    Memories of BB games at TECH when he played are my fondest. There are no words to express how truly great a BB player he was. He owned Robert Parish when we played Cetenary. If they had kept blocked shots as a stat then, Mike would have the NCAA record. He would often not just block the shot, but snatch the shot out of the air. And for a big man, he could dribble the court like a guard. Rather than dunk the ball, which was forbidden back then, he would jump up and hold the ball out at chest level and drop it in the basket. I don't think there will ever be a BB player as talented.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!

+ Reply to Thread