+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Offense?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Offense?

His oline excuse is to cover for HIS poor game plan and inability to make real time adjustments. Y'all have got to stop believing that this all boils down to bad oline play

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    His oline excuse is to cover for HIS poor game plan and inability to make real time adjustments. Y'all have got to stop believing that this all boils down to bad oline play
    It can be both. Them not being prepared for whats out there from the beginning of the game will hurt any attempt at an adjustment for the second half. His Oline wasnt up to what he tried to run, thats on him. What he tried to run was also not very good.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Holtz is out-coached just about every game. The notable exceptions are the bowl games. But, in the regular season we get out-coached most of the time, probably 10 out of 12 times, but we have managed to win 6 of those 10 due strictly to superior talent and athleticism.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Gotta scheme to your personnel. It’s true on the line and at QB...and RB.

The biggest “story” is inflexibility and an inability to adapt.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post

The biggest “story” is inflexibility and an inability to adapt.
    The crazy thing is that we as fans can see it from the stands early, but he keeps trying the same thing even after half time.

EVERYBODY was expecting something different on the first drive out in the 3rd quarter, but noooooooo. It was the SOS. You KNOW his OC had to be telling him.

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

Fitch has said about offering plays "what's the use" , not about this game but at another time.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

He basically admitted he was trying to win "10-7". That's a terrible way to try to win imo.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    He basically admitted he was trying to win "10-7". That's a terrible way to try to win imo.
    Sounds great for anybody naive enough to buy it. It's amazing what a guy will say in an attempt cover his DA. Sometimes he just needs to say, "I screwed up" and then be quiet.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Sounds great for anybody naive enough to buy it. It's amazing what a guy will say in an attempt cover his DA. Sometimes he just needs to say, "I screwed up" and then be quiet.

no Dancy-No Tucker after 5 plays -Jr college RB 6 carries 15 yard and 2 fumbles
    my favorite 2 players combined for 3 tackles .

66 wins -4 bowl wins in row and because I met you and like you I will try and be nice about this--- They expect you to interview --got to say something and he took complete blame for game plan and left it 100% his fault for loss --

That said, why are we 13-14 point favorites this weekend when UTSA beat worst 2 teams in conference and "replicates UAB defence " -- All you guys who do not want Holtz put some $$ down on UTSA -- I am leaving this one alone, giving up to many points ....

Big Dog RGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the rough

Sadly, I actually believe that. Each time Tech gets a lead it seems like Holtz goes into turtle shell mode and tries to end the game instead of attempting to score more points; attempts to go into time management offense and prevent defense. After several short offensive series the defense gets winded from being on the field so much the 'bend' breaks, and as we saw with the UAB game it appeared their spirit did as well in the 4th.

Holtz seems to not understand two important things that are mostky intangible, momentum and timing for the offense to run effectively (i.e. don't slow the game down if unnecessary)

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by RGTech98 View Post
    Sadly, I actually believe that. Each time Tech gets a lead it seems like Holtz goes into turtle shell mode and tries to end the game instead of attempting to score more points; attempts to go into time management offense and prevent defense. After several short offensive series the defense gets winded from being on the field so much the 'bend' breaks, and as we saw with the UAB game it appeared their spirit did as well in the 4th.

Holtz seems to not understand two important things that are mostky intangible, momentum and timing for the offense to run effectively (i.e. don't slow the game down if unnecessary)
    I agree. Here's my take:

J'Mar is far from perfect but he can be effective if he gets in a rhythm. I think any QB would have struggled with our offensive strategy against UAB in light of what they were doing. Seemed like Holtz wanted to get a 1st once we were on 3rd down. It's ok to go for the 1st down on 2nd down or even when it's 1st down! Plus, its good to diversify your early down plays just to get the QB (and receivers) rolling. If Skip doesn't realize J'Mar is a rhythm guy, then I don't know what to say.

His mentality of merely wanting to catch a punt is telling. It's obvious Veal is extremely hesitant to run. That's coaching. The fact that Holtz said he trying to win a 10-7 game in the press conference is precisely what was wrong with our offensive scheme. Offense is about scoring. If you aren't intentionally creating the best opportunity for the offense to score, you don't need to be calling plays.

That right there is why I lay it at the feet of Holtz. You can't coach offense not to lose. You coach offense to win. No matter what the defense is or isn't doing. Holtz has done a good job at many things. Last Saturday's loss primarily falls on his play calling imo.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Very good posts RGT and Boxer. You both summed things up pretty accurately.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

If you go back and watch the North Texas game, with around 10 minutes to go in the game and a TWO POINT LEAD, Holtz is trying to run out the clock!! This is nothing new with him. I swear I think his brain is broke

J'Mar was 50% at UNT. Far from being in a "rhythm". Why does he need to be in a rhythm to complete passes to open receivers when not under pressure?

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

I agree. Here's my take:

J'Mar is far from perfect but he can be effective if he gets in a rhythm. I think any QB would have struggled with our offensive strategy against UAB in light of what they were doing. Seemed like Holtz wanted to get a 1st once we were on 3rd down. It's ok to go for the 1st down on 2nd down or even when it's 1st down! Plus, its good to diversify your early down plays just to get the QB (and receivers) rolling. If Skip doesn't realize J'Mar is a rhythm guy, then I don't know what to say.

His mentality of merely wanting to catch a punt is telling. It's obvious Veal is extremely hesitant to run. That's coaching. The fact that Holtz said he trying to win a 10-7 game in the press conference is precisely what was wrong with our offensive scheme. Offense is about scoring. If you aren't intentionally creating the best opportunity for the offense to score, you don't need to be calling plays.

That right there is why I lay it at the feet of Holtz. You can't coach offense not to lose. You coach offense to win. No matter what the defense is or isn't doing. Holtz has done a good job at many things. Last Saturday's loss primarily falls on his play calling imo.
    This is Holtz's fundamental weakness as a play caller. Holtz is way, way too conservative on first and second down. Has to be 70% run or short pass. Especially in redzone. I just watch the games and I know what is coming. Imagine what a coach that has watched and rewatched film knows. It is worse in the redzone. He sets J'Mar up for failure by forcing 3rd and long passes.

+ Reply to Thread