+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach - Try something different the next two weeks!

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Re: Coach - Try something different the next two weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBulldog1962 View Post
    It has nothing to do with one of us being wrong or right.
    Are you new here?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Those are actually opinions, supported by facts.

We all may share them, but they remain opinions nonetheless.
    So? That's just your opinion, supported by facts.

We all may share it, but it remains an opinion nonetheless.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    So? That's just your opinion, supported by facts.

We all may share it, but it remains an opinion nonetheless.
    If you're going to stretch the definition of "fact" to include widely shared opinions … well, then you've probably been hanging out with Dawg80.

Big Dog TrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant future

I just want to know, if you really said the things BWD mentioned below, or not? (Yes, I know sometimes things can get exaggerated or twisted when reported.)

Understand, it's no longer 2014 thru 2016, when Holtz got very, very, lucky and had 3 great QB's in a row drop into his lap. Regardless, those days are over. LA Tech was 6-6 last year before beating up on a one-armed SMU (metaphorically speaking) in the Frisco Bowl. THAT'S A FACT. Furthermore, that LA Tech team found a way to lose 4 games that they shouldn't have lost in 2017. THAT TOO, IS A FACT. And finally, this current team has already found a way to lose one game they shouldn't have lost, at home. THAT'S A FACT.

So, the concern here is that THIS CURRENT TEAM --with J'Mar Smith at QB and Skip Holtz head coaching-- is vastly underachieving, compared to its superior level of talent. It's just not working. This same cast of lead offensive characters underachieved in 2017 and is on its way to the same outcome in 2018, if changes aren't made quickly. They CAN'T SCORE! This culture of underachievement --combined with BORING OFFENSIVE PLAY-- is negatively impacting the game day experience in Ruston. It also hurts attendance. And the program is what most of us care about. But, the worst part is, the coaches don't seem willing to try anything different to fix the problems. Unfortunately, this too is a fact.

Pardon me, if most of us don't want to sit around and dream about the "glory years of 2014-2016", when the reality is, no conference championship was won by the Dogs during that period. It's gotta get better than that.
    In response to BWD’s comments: I would never call any Tech fan a bunch of delusional complainers. So no, I did not say that. I did say that I think the program has been built to a level of sustained success that we have not seen since 1971-1974. Now that’s my personal belief, that happens to be backed up by wins. I get it, wins aren’t everything, but that’s why it’s my opinion. I did not say it’s delusional to expect a CUSA Championship every 5 years. All I said was that we’ve played for 2 in 5 years under Holtz, and the loss to UAB really hurts, but it doesn’t close the door on this season. Now, BWD could be referencing other local shows, I don’t have a chance to listen to them everyday.
    I understand it’s no longer 2014-2016, but if that is the case, then it’s no longer 2017 either. Tech did go 6-6 last year and lost 4 games that they should not have lost. Tech was 1-4 in one possession games last season with one of the 10 youngest teams in the nation. Does that matter? I have no idea, but it’s a point that should be mentioned. Tech is 2-0 in one possession games in 2018 with one of the 10 most experienced team in the nation. Does that matter? Again, I have no idea, but hopefully our guys learned something from last season. I do agree, we should not have lost at home to UAB. Unacceptable, any way you put it.

Looking at this year’s offensive line. South Alabama was a struggle in first half. They obviously played well against Southern and LSU. They struggled at times against NT, and were downright brutal against UAB. They may be without their best OL this week, and will be without one more as well. J’Mar has improved from last season if you ask me, but he must become more consistent. He misses too many throws, and does not do well when he has to play off script. At running back, the offense has been really good with Dancy in there, but we know he’s hurt a lot. Tucker is solid, but he’s banged up. McKnight is understanding his role better, but he allowed two sacks last week. Henderson is talented, but he fumbled once last week, and ran the wrong way on another fumble when the ball was supposed to be handed to him. I like Hardy, Bonnette, and Veal outside at WR but the second most drops in the country won’t cut it.

So when I look at the offense, there is plenty to be cleaned up. I agree with you. But, these issues were a factor far before the UAB game.

In regards to the coaches not tinkering with things, have you been to practice to see if they do? I learned as someone that never played football after middle school that I can’t evaluate with the naked eye. I go to at least one practice a week to see what is being worked on. Just so I am more informed. I’m serious when I say this, please come with me one day. It is extremely enlightening. It gives me a great understanding why certain players don’t play and certain ones do. It’s just like I saw one post that said Tech was barely in pads in the video. They wear helmets, pads, and pants with no pads every single Wednesday. Why is that just now an issue and not every week?
    I don’t want to sit around and dream about 2014-2016 being the “glory years” either. But with what Tech football has been for decades, we are in the best stage we’ve seen since 1971-1974. I choose to cherish that, and relish it. Does that mean I don’t want more? Heck no, I’m a competitor, I never want to lose. Losing sucks. But I also can’t bring myself to believe that the sky is falling after one loss. If we are 3-9 in seven weeks, then the sky will have fallen, and I’ll be in that boat.

Again, I just wanted to clear up what I said because some said things that weren’t said.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

The game last week sucked. I was mad. But we still have a decent chance at a CCG.

I'm willing to call this the annual Skip Holtz WTF Game™.

But Skip dang well better understand that he's used his allotment for the season.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

However, we are no longer in control for a CCG. From here on, its entirely on what happens to others. We had our chance, and predictably blew it.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LATechBanjo View Post
    The game last week sucked. I was mad. But we still have a decent chance at a CCG.

I'm willing to call this the annual Skip Holtz WTF Game™.

But Skip dang well better understand that he's used his allotment for the season.
    It's like clockwork.

That's not to say the criticisms are without merit.

Not sure Holtz will ever be "bad" enough to get canned. Still not convinced that he'll ever be good enough to win a championship. He's great at glad-handing and, by all reports that I've heard, seems to be decent man. It all adds up to this: Holtz will leave only when he wants.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBulldog1962 View Post
    In response to BWD’s comments: I would never call any Tech fan a bunch of delusional complainers. So no, I did not say that. I did say that I think the program has been built to a level of sustained success that we have not seen since 1971-1974. Now that’s my personal belief, that happens to be backed up by wins. I get it, wins aren’t everything, but that’s why it’s my opinion. I did not say it’s delusional to expect a CUSA Championship every 5 years. All I said was that we’ve played for 2 in 5 years under Holtz, and the loss to UAB really hurts, but it doesn’t close the door on this season. Now, BWD could be referencing other local shows, I don’t have a chance to listen to them everyday.
    I understand it’s no longer 2014-2016, but if that is the case, then it’s no longer 2017 either. Tech did go 6-6 last year and lost 4 games that they should not have lost. Tech was 1-4 in one possession games last season with one of the 10 youngest teams in the nation. Does that matter? I have no idea, but it’s a point that should be mentioned. Tech is 2-0 in one possession games in 2018 with one of the 10 most experienced team in the nation. Does that matter? Again, I have no idea, but hopefully our guys learned something from last season. I do agree, we should not have lost at home to UAB. Unacceptable, any way you put it.

Looking at this year’s offensive line. South Alabama was a struggle in first half. They obviously played well against Southern and LSU. They struggled at times against NT, and were downright brutal against UAB. They may be without their best OL this week, and will be without one more as well. J’Mar has improved from last season if you ask me, but he must become more consistent. He misses too many throws, and does not do well when he has to play off script. At running back, the offense has been really good with Dancy in there, but we know he’s hurt a lot. Tucker is solid, but he’s banged up. McKnight is understanding his role better, but he allowed two sacks last week. Henderson is talented, but he fumbled once last week, and ran the wrong way on another fumble when the ball was supposed to be handed to him. I like Hardy, Bonnette, and Veal outside at WR but the second most drops in the country won’t cut it.

So when I look at the offense, there is plenty to be cleaned up. I agree with you. But, these issues were a factor far before the UAB game.

In regards to the coaches not tinkering with things, have you been to practice to see if they do? I learned as someone that never played football after middle school that I can’t evaluate with the naked eye. I go to at least one practice a week to see what is being worked on. Just so I am more informed. I’m serious when I say this, please come with me one day. It is extremely enlightening. It gives me a great understanding why certain players don’t play and certain ones do. It’s just like I saw one post that said Tech was barely in pads in the video. They wear helmets, pads, and pants with no pads every single Wednesday. Why is that just now an issue and not every week?
    I don’t want to sit around and dream about 2014-2016 being the “glory years” either. But with what Tech football has been for decades, we are in the best stage we’ve seen since 1971-1974. I choose to cherish that, and relish it. Does that mean I don’t want more? Heck no, I’m a competitor, I never want to lose. Losing sucks. But I also can’t bring myself to believe that the sky is falling after one loss. If we are 3-9 in seven weeks, then the sky will have fallen, and I’ll be in that boat.

Again, I just wanted to clear up what I said because some said things that weren’t said.
    I appreciate the clarification about what you said on the radio. Thank you. That said, you're wrong about J'Mar improving this year. The stats don't support your claim. Below are J'Mar's 2017 season passing stats after his first 5 games, vs his 2018 season passing stats after his first 5 games. They are remarkably similar. In fact, they are so similar that it proves what some of us have been saying; there's been no noticeable improvement (at least statistically) in J'Mars 2018 performance vs his 2017.

J'Mar Smith's 5-Game Y/Y Passing Stats:

Category:.......................2017 ...........2018

Pass completions............... 97..................99
    Pass attempts...................169................178
    Passing Yards.................1,320.............1,256
    TD Passes...........................7................ ....9
    INT's..................................3.......... ..........5
    Avg QB Rating..............129.7.............129.4

Again, as you can see, J'Mar's passing stats this season are essentially THE SAME as they were after 5 games in 2017. Furthermore, one could easily argue that J'Mar's 2017 "first 5-game" stats were compiled against a tougher schedule than this season's were. The first 5 games in 2017 included road games at SEC South Carolina and CUSA defending champion WKU, as well as a date with SEC Miss State in Ruston.

All this to say, the stats don't lie, and they DO NOT support your statement that J'Mar has improved.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Oh yeah! game, set and match to HogDawg!

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

I appreciate the clarification about what you said on the radio. Thank you. That said, you're wrong about J'Mar improving this year. The stats don't support your claim. Below are J'Mar's 2017 season passing stats after his first 5 games, vs his 2018 season passing stats after his first 5 games. They are remarkably similar. In fact, they are so similar that it proves what some of us have been saying; there's been no noticeable improvement (at least statistically) in J'Mars 2018 performance vs his 2017.

J'Mar Smith's 5-Game Y/Y Passing Stats:

Category:.......................2017 ...........2018

Pass completions............... 97..................99
    Pass attempts...................169................178
    Passing Yards.................1,320.............1,256
    TD Passes...........................7................ ....9
    INT's..................................3.......... ..........5
    Avg QB Rating..............129.7.............129.4

Again, as you can see, J'Mar's passing stats this season are essentially THE SAME as they were after 5 games in 2017. Furthermore, one could easily argue that J'Mar's 2017 "first 5-game" stats were compiled against a tougher schedule than this season's were. The first 5 games in 2017 included road games at SEC South Carolina and CUSA defending champion WKU, as well as a date with SEC Miss State in Ruston.

All this to say, the stats don't lie, and they DO NOT support your statement that J'Mar has improved.
    HD, bringing it, drops the mic and walks off!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    HD, bringing it, drops the mic and walks off!
    Greatest stuff ever!

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Greatest stuff ever!
    Sometimes it's hard to argue. HD put it together.

If our coaches and admin had the passion of our fans...unstoppable!

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Tulsa (1-4) ahead of USF (5-0) 17-10 late 3rd quarter. College football can be a surprising game and upsets happen - good teams have bad games. While typing this, Tulsa has moved the ball from their own 12 to around USFs 5, 1st and goal - and apparently will increase their lead.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    Tulsa (1-4) ahead of USF (5-0) 17-10 late 3rd quarter. College football can be a surprising game and upsets happen - good teams have bad games. While typing this, Tulsa has moved the ball from their own 12 to around USFs 5, 1st and goal - and apparently will increase their lead.
    well this lets Holtz off the hook.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    Wow! 1-4 Tulsa is now leading 5-0 #23 USF 24-10 at the end of the 3rd Qtr. USF's QB is 11 of 25 for 120 yards and an INT.

+ Reply to Thread