+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UTSA's Fake Cannon

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: UTSA's Fake Cannon

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    OMG!

"wadies and gentlewen, the Bannnned of Pride...."

Nancy Bergeron. A total embarrassment! just another in a long line of head scratchers. She must know something about someone of great influence.
    LOL the BAAAAAND OF PRAWWWWWD!!! Why we need that announcement, I have no idea!

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    What happened to our cannon? Didn't it damage some of the bleachers one time?
    Going back to the 2001 delphiforums archive...

Thread: More cops and cannon news

I have it from a reliable source that the cops stopped the cannon from being fired, that was also reported in the Times. Supposedly they have told the KA's they can never fire the cannon again. - macp38

As I understand it and as reported in the Monroe paper, the KA's shot their wad (literally) and it dented a bleacher. The paper was packed too tightly in the cannon and it was aimed at the stands. Duh? Oakes ordered its firing suspended and said he would "deal with it Monday." - Dawgpix

Yes there is a way to keep the cannon and fire it in S'port and Ruston.
    The cannon firing actually falls under the authority of Louisiana Department of Public safety and corrections, Louisiana State Police, Louisiana State Fire Marshalls office, and local authorities. The cannon firing has been addressed before by the State Fire Marshalls' office at another school, I believe it was a High School.

It is not as complicated as it sounds, just time consuming...let me give you a breif rundown of what it entails.

1. The person who is in charge of firing the cannon and overseeing the process must hold a user or blasters license with the State of LA.
    2. There is absolutely no alcohol to be allowed, nor intoxicated persons, in the operations or firing area of the cannon.
    3. This is considered a public event so it must have a permit ($10) from the state F.M.
    4. You must also carry $1M Liability event insurance.
    5. No minors allowed to work in firing area.
    6. NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) codes must be followed.

That is a breif rundown of what could be entailed in the firing of the cannon in either stadium. Usually this is not a big deal, but there has been some publicity and the State Fire Marshall will probably give this last event some attention.

I can tell you this due to my experience..bad experience..with Fireworks and football games.

Tech may have better luck with shooting fireworks after every score from now on, it just depends on how much attention and embaressment this last firing caused.

I am all for the cannon being fired, I felt obligated to respond to this since I started the thread asking what happened to the cannon. I would have felt terrible if something bad would have happened during the firing. I do hold a user and blasters license and would be happy to help whoever is interested in firing the cannon get licensed and make the proper contacts to get the ball rolling on this for next year, the process is time consuming and needs to be started on now.
    - Bhaddawg
    Last edited by qng001; 10-14-2018 at 12:48 PM.

For some wadded up newspaper, it did some damage. Folks can jump and stomp on these bleachers and it doesn't cause dents like this.

Last edited by qng001; 10-14-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    For some wadded up newspaper, it did some damage. Folks can jump and stomp on these bleachers and it doesn't cause dents like this.

Is that Vettewrecker in that photo?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Is that Vettewrecker in that photo?
    Yes

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Thou shalt not covet another Dawg's wife ...

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Wow! the old Delphi board! Vettewrecker? I remember one night at the TAC....never mind. And the cannon firing! Now, there's a blast from the past!

Champ bleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to behold bleudog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Ol' Woodie

Champ bleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to behold bleudog's Avatar

Here was an issue with a real cannon at a game in El Dorado in 2010.

http://www.magnoliareporter.com/news_and_business/local_news/article_21b52dd8-ea02-11df-ae5d-001cc4c002e0.html

I was at that Boomtown Classic game. Here's what I posted on another message board after the game.

"From my perspective:

First firing seemed to go off with out a hitch.

Second firing was an odd sounding and looking dud.

Third firing was huge sound and flash. I'd agree with the theory some of that second charge could have still been in the cannon when they tried the third shot.

Understand pieces of the cannon came apart.

A young man who I guess was one of the firing crew had an injured arm. There was rumor he might lose the arm but I think that was later changed to surgery to repair arterial damage and the arm was saved.

Shrapnel also ended up in the Magnolia visitor stands. There were police officers and EMT personnel providing assistance to a lady. Not sure the extent of her injuries or current status.

Shrapnel also went thru the scoreboard causing a hole in the "Quarter" window. The scoreboard continued to work but the video board never worked after that.

There was damage to the back of an ambulance that was stationed under the scoreboard as well as a golf cart in the same area. I think there was also damage to the track where the cannon was positioned.

I was at the game on the UAM side away from the scoreboard. Saw/heard the explosion, saw the treatment in the visitors stands, and noticed the video board went blank but didn't realize it was all related and the extent of the situation until the game was over.

A very unfortunate and unnecessary situation to an otherwise successful event.

Best wishes for the speedy recovery of the two individuals who were treated."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bleudog View Post
    Ol' Woodie
    "TWSS" - The BG to Champ967.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    That's been embarrassing since I was 12 (I'm now 41)
    I honest can't believe nobody in charge of game production has comprehended how humiliating and anti-inspiring it is to try and make people participate in that. It's like a bad joke to me, just shake my head. (don't do it Champ967)
    Have you considered those Dogs?

We keep the bad stuff and allow an NSU grad to kill off some of what we had been building on for years.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    We keep the bad stuff and allow an NSU grad to kill off some of what we had been building on for years.
    This is your guy's fault, Dr. Guice. TMAC should NEVER have been hired. Many of us said so at the time, warning what would happen with an NSU/SLC guy... Well, water under the bridge....or is it? That same water is flowing under the bridge. Only Guice can do something about it.

EPIC FAIL!

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    "Tech's" cannon is/was the property of Kappa Alpha Order fraternity. That cannon is real, and can do significant damage if loaded with ammo, and aimed at a target. It used to be permanently situated on the hill in front of the KA House. It used to be chained to the flagpole in their front yard. The KA's used to have a small team of "trained" KA's that transported the cannon to various events, and were responsible for firing it. I don't know if any of this has changed in the last 10 years or so.
    HD: Both you and Houston are correct. The cannon used prior to 2002 was the KA cannon. The cannon used from 2005 through 2007 was a different cannon that was fired by a military reenactment group.

There were always issues with the KA cannon. In the FBS era it would appear for a game or two and there would be a problem. It would then go away for years. The incident in 2001 ended the KA cannon for good.

Dooley did away with the next cannon after 2007. Some reason or another was given, but Dooley talked about the real reason at a couple of alumni events in 2009. For every person who loves a cannon or charges shot off after touchdowns (especially older guys) there are parents there with young kids; many female fans; and many older fans who hate it. It's not part of our history like it is at A&M, Texas, or Oklahoma. So why roll something like that out when it has the potential of running people off? Dooley got that feedback, agreed, and ended it.

After Dooley was gone, aound 2011 or 2012, we started using the charges. In the Rice game in 2012 after touchdowns an ESPN camera began focusing on a group of young kids sitting in the west side stands. When a charge would go off several of them would cry. It looked terrible on the broadcast. So the charges went away for 2013.

Then every year to two since someone in the AD thinks it's a good idea and brings back charges or fireworks without knowing the history. And then they go away again. In my opinion for good reason. Dooley was right. Why run anyone off?

I think the same thing could be said for UTSA or North Texas. It's not in the history of either school. Shooting off a cannon or fake cannon will only drive people away.

+ Reply to Thread