+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NCAA Football Attendance

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

NCAA Football Attendance

IMO, easy access to watch games has devalued and watered down the product. The problems are similar for G5 and P5 teams, but I want to focus on G5 and what they might be able to do.

First there are a few attendance exceptions in Boise and maybe a few of the AAC teams, but in general I'd say we are all in the same boat with HORRIBLE TV deals that are sure to only get worse. Spending 100s of dollars to actually attend 5, 6, or 7 home games each year is no longer a priority for fans who once never thought twice about making that investment in the team they love.

I don't expect the AAC teams to be part of any solution, so that leaves the remaining G5s to work together. IMO, making easy access more costly to subscribers/viewers/fans is a possible solution if our over paid commissioners and ADs can get together to find ways to make viewing access for fans produce more revenue. Any revenue at all is better than what they are currently receiving and every G5 school needs to find a way to increase actual attendance and ticket sales.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Re: NCAA Football Attendance

So there are several problems and several solutions.

1. Way, way too many schools playing football has devalued the product. I honestly think that college football should consider a promotion and regulation based system.

2. TV contracts that were unsubstanainble when they were offered. ESPN made some terrible choices. G5’s are paying the price for terrible TV deals.

3. College football isn’t the only show in town anymore, and tech now competes against ULM, NSU, GSU, and LSU for any scraps of coverage by the local media. Radio too. 97.7 is lots of LSU and an hour of tech. I can’t blame the local media. Walmart fans want their purple drank.

So what can Tech do? Blackout the game in north louisiana? Fine. But it’s not going to get the purple and golds off of their couches to actually come to a game. Increasing attendance has more to do with the on the field product and the atmosphere of being at the game. Someone told me today that close to 40,000 people drive to Baton Rouge for home games and never set foot in the stadium. They just want to be around the stadium. Our insane tailgating policies don’t help.

I think G5’s on a whole need to seize control of their product when it comes to streaming/broadcast rights. We were on the right track with getting partnerships outside of ESPN, but this year they went back to ESPN only to be forced into ESPN+ where our games are nothing more than a money maker for ESPN.

Big Dog Heavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really nice Heavyarms's Avatar

What are these insane tailgating policies?

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Well for one having to get there by 8 am for a 6 pm game.

+ Reply to Thread