+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank You Skip--since1990 4 out of 8 bowls were with Holtz and about to be 5 out of 9

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Re: Thank You Skip--since1990 4 out of 8 bowls were with Holtz and about to be 5 out

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    What big game did Sonny win? I can only think of at Nevada in 2011 (#48) off the top of my head. His 3 P5 wins were against #133 Illinois, #84 Virginia (barely), and #110 Ole Miss. 0-7 versus teams in the Top 35 (A$M x 2, Boise St, USM, Houston, Miss St, TCU). That dude's been garbage since he left Tech.
    Are you a troll or just not a knowledgeable football fan? That is a serious question.

Big wins have nothing to do with some computer ranking, nothing at all. A big win is winning a game that is important to your team. To most real Tech fans, of which there are a few of us, another example of a big win any win against a P5/BCS school, regardless of ranking. Those schools have stadiums with 2-3 times the seats our stadium has and their athletic budgets are 3, 4 or 5 times larger than ours. It is a big win anytime we beat one of those teams. Even when Skip beat an Illinois team (that finished with a losing record, by the way) in a bowl game a few years ago -- BIG WIN!

Dykes had no big wins? Follow along with me here......

October 22, 2011 at Utah State. TECH 24, USU 17. Gigantic Win.
    November 19, 2011 at Nevada. TECH 24, Nevada 20. Universally, gigantic win.

I have no idea what your computer tells you to say about the Uthat State win. I am sure your computer is not impressed, so you would be either, but to a knowledgeable, true dyed in blue Tech fan those are two really, big wins!

The Utah State win put us in the driver's seat for a WAC football championship. The Nevada win clinched that WAC championship! We had to go on the road to win those games and Dykes had the team ready to go and we pulled off two really, big wins!

You are right in mentioning the Nevada game as a big win, but you had no idea why it was a big win. You need to spend less time looking up teams computer rankings from different seasons and start watching games, reading magazines, watch talk shows with former coaches and players. Watch, listen, learn and study about the sport. That's how you are going to learn about football. Pulling up computer rankings from the past 20 seasons or how many ever you pulled up will never tell you the full story.

I might have to start you a tuition bill for the football education I'm giving you.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Thank You Skip--since1990 4 out of 8 bowls were with Holtz and about to be 5 out

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    May I have your permission to have the bolded words displayed in a frame on my office wall for all to see? Giving you full credit of course.
    Of course, LOL!

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't enjoy our team bowling, don't go. It's much fun though.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    I agree. Separating the bowls out, isolating them as special events, allowing them to stand on their own merits, the bowls are great. And, for whatever reasons there may be, Holtz has demonstrated a talent for preparing teams for bowls. I've enjoyed all 4 of the recent bowls, and have every intention of going to this year's bowl.

Hopefully, we'll get that 5th one in a row....the defense may have to carry us like they did last year. But, hey! they are capable.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Speaking of team bowling, I see on Twitter that the Tech Bowling team just won the Sugar Bowl Bowling Tournament. Yay!

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses View Post
    Speaking of team bowling, I see on Twitter that the Tech Bowling team just won the Sugar Bowl Bowling Tournament. Yay!
    SERIOUS __ Russdog- Sportsdawg and I sat with a longtime friend who played for Tech in 70s with my brother -- not a Joke--he is a bowling class at Tech, has an ID that gets him into all sports events at Tech

Bulldog jycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the ears

To me, going to a bowl game doesn't have any significance anymore. Any team with 6 wins gets a bowl invite (of course, except La. Tech a few years ago when the AD screwed up), so it's not that special anymore. With that said, was interested to see this morning that USA Today shows La. Tech going to some bowl called First Responders Bowl on Dec 26......... supposedly against Indiana. I have seen lots of talk on this forum about an Hawaii bowl, so this was at least something new.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jycww View Post
    To me, going to a bowl game doesn't have any significance anymore. Any team with 6 wins gets a bowl invite (of course, except La. Tech a few years ago when the AD screwed up), so it's not that special anymore. With that said, was interested to see this morning that USA Today shows La. Tech going to some bowl called First Responders Bowl on Dec 26......... supposedly against Indiana. I have seen lots of talk on this forum about an Hawaii bowl, so this was at least something new.
    Jerry Palm has us in the New Orleans Bowl against ULM. I would rather play Indiana in the First Responders Bowl, which is the old Heart of Dallas Bowl, which is the old Ticket City Bowl. I think the First Responders Bowl sucks less than the New Orleans Bowl.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Its the Heart of Dallas bowl with a new sponsor. Idk why they decided to change the name, the HoD bowl already featured First Responder theme.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

The N.O. Bowl does not suck...it's permanent host is not particularly attractive. This year, the Belch is better than CUSA, and better than the MAC, top to bottom. Three teams especially, Appy State, Ga. Southern, and Troy are all legit good, and any one of them could win CUSA this year. If you can find my post(s) on the topic from years ago, when Appy State and Ga. Southern joined the Belch, before they played their first down in the conference, I said they would be the class of the league. It's taken a few years longer than I thought, but they have risen to the top. Now, Troy is a bit of a surprise. Even when they were Troy State they had their moments...beat Okie State as an FCS program...but that program has risen to a higher level than I thought they would.

All that to say, if any of those 3 are the host team in the N.O. Bowl, their opponent had better get ready for a war. That certainly includes us too. We are not very good. Still, I would prefer to play Indiana in Dallas, even IF any of those three Belchers are better than them. Which, they probably are. I know it's not fair, and it contributes to the bias about ALL P5s being better than any G5. Which we know isn't true.

As for as the extras around the bowl, the activities, the N.O. Bowl > the Dallas Bowl, whatever it's sponsorship name happens to be, year to year. But, as I said, give me Indiana. We can whip them! I'm not so sure we can whip one of those top 3 Belchers. And...Heaven forbid....vs. ulm? No thanks.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    The N.O. Bowl does not suck...it's permanent host is not particularly attractive. This year, the Belch is better than CUSA, and better than the MAC, top to bottom. Three teams especially, Appy State, Ga. Southern, and Troy are all legit good, and any one of them could win CUSA this year. If you can find my post(s) on the topic from years ago, when Appy State and Ga. Southern joined the Belch, before they played their first down in the conference, I said they would be the class of the league. It's taken a few years longer than I thought, but they have risen to the top. Now, Troy is a bit of a surprise. Even when they were Troy State they had their moments...beat Okie State as an FCS program...but that program has risen to a higher level than I thought they would.

All that to say, if any of those 3 are the host team in the N.O. Bowl, their opponent had better get ready for a war. That certainly includes us too. We are not very good. Still, I would prefer to play Indiana in Dallas, even IF any of those three Belchers are better than them. Which, they probably are. I know it's not fair, and it contributes to the bias about ALL P5s being better than any G5. Which we know isn't true.

As for as the extras around the bowl, the activities, the N.O. Bowl > the Dallas Bowl, whatever it's sponsorship name happens to be, year to year. But, as I said, give me Indiana. We can whip them! I'm not so sure we can whip one of those top 3 Belchers. And...Heaven forbid....vs. ulm? No thanks.
    I think you --and all LA Tech fans-- better get ready to play ULM in a bowl game this year. No, it's not what I want to see either......but the college football world seems hell bent on making LA Tech play ULM. They tried it in 2012, and our leaders thought they had a better deal with the Liberty Bowl, only to find out the next day that they didn't. And every time it looks like ULM is about to qualify for a bowl, various media outlets trip over themselves to pair us against ULM in their bowl prognostications.

So we might as well get religion, and meet it head on. Frankly, I'd just as soon beat ULM's arse this year, and get everybody off our back about this issue for a few more years.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I think you --and all LA Tech fans-- better get ready to play ULM in a bowl game this year. No, it's not what I want to see either......but the college football world seems hell bent on making LA Tech play ULM. They tried it in 2012, and our leaders thought they had a better deal with the Liberty Bowl, only to find out the next day that they didn't. And every time it looks like ULM is about to qualify for a bowl, various media outlets trip over themselves to pair us against ULM in their bowl prognostications.

So we might as well get religion, and meet it head on. Frankly, I'd just as soon beat ULM's arse this year, and get everybody off our back about this issue for a few more years.
    Do you think we can beat ulm?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    I'm hoping so, just like you and everyone else. If not, it might be the impetus for Holtz's early exit. That wouldn't be the worst outcome in the world.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

If we played ULM in a bowl I would bet we would go hurry up and slice them up to a huge victory. Every one of our starters would start for them, and holtz would make sure we scored at will.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    If we are relegated to the New Orleans Bowl against ULM and lose Holtz should be fired before getting on the team bus after the game. Let him figure out how to get his own ass back to the hotel and Ruston.

+ Reply to Thread