+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1984 College football season

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

1984 College football season

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...boston-college Fun read. I was only 6 so I don't remember any of this first-hand, but of course we're all pretty familiar with the Doug Flutie Hail Mary at this point. (Meanwhile Tech won 10 games despite losing to three of our least favorite teams to lose to - both ULX twins and USM)

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: 1984 College football season

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Fun read. I was only 6 so I don't remember any of this first-hand, but of course we're all pretty familiar with the Doug Flutie Hail Mary at this point. (Meanwhile Tech won 10 games despite losing to three of our least favorite teams to lose to - both ULX twins and USM)
    Tech's results:

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

1984...remember it well. Kyle Gandy at QB. Jerry Rice's TD just before the half...we all knew he'd be playing on Sundays!

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...boston-college Fun read. I was only 6 so I don't remember any of this first-hand, but of course we're all pretty familiar with the Doug Flutie Hail Mary at this point. (Meanwhile Tech won 10 games despite losing to three of our least favorite teams to lose to - both ULX twins and USM)
    I think that was the year Tech played in the NC game on the campus of The Citadel. We, i.e. fans, flew a charter out of Monroe ($100). We lost the game, however - I think to Montana State.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    1984...remember it well. Kyle Gandy at QB. Jerry Rice's TD just before the half...we all knew he'd be playing on Sundays!
    A point a minute was their mantra. That day, Tech scored a point a minute. I think the final was 61-17, then played the next week at Memorial Stadium in Jackson.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    A point a minute was their mantra. That day, Tech scored a point a minute. I think the final was 61-17, then played the next week at Memorial Stadium in Jackson.
    I attended both playoff games against the SWAC teams. One thing that has always stuck out in my memory is the halftime show in Jackson when Alcorn's version of the Regal Blues came and performed in front of the Tech crowd. They had people in the stands blushing with pretty much the same dance moves that our Regal Blues use these days.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Beat Jerry Rice and Miss Valley State 66-19, and Jackson State 44-21. We led 44-0 then with about 10 mins left we cleared the bench, and JSU got 3 late, garbage time TDs.

The Valley game...I was standing around a group of their fans, about 12 of 'em, all decked out in their school's garb, and running their mouths BIG TIME before the game, and for a good portion of the 1st qtr. And then...they started getting quiet. They did jump around and high five each other, and then looked at we Tech fans with a smug look when Rice made that spectacular catch and run....but that just cut the score to Tech 38 Valley 19 at the half. We outscored 'em 28-0 in the second half. Our defense settled in and got the gist of their no-huddle, hurry-up offense and solved it. Valley was ahead of the times, back in '84, with that high octane offense. Willie Totten was the QB, and he was good. In addition to Rice they had other good players. Lost in all the passing was their huge fullback who had something like 250 yds rushing that day. They would spread out the defense will all those WRs, and then run that big FB right up the middle and the whole pile would move 8-10 yards each time.

Don't remember the exact numbers, but Valley easily had 500+ yards of total offense, and we had 600+ yards. The biggest difference was we finished drives, while their drives stalled in the red zone or they turned it over. It was a fun game! I admit I was nervous going into that one. The numbers Valley had hung up, like 1,000 yds of offense in one game, and often scoring 70+ pts, was enough to make us wonder if Tech could hang with 'em. But looking at their schedule it was all SWAC teams and games against the likes of Oklahoma Panhandle State. Tech was the first, and only, real football team they played.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

You are too young to remember, but in those days USL and USM were I-A/FBS where the scholarship limit was 99. They had 25-30 more scholarship players than Tech which was I-AA after the Southland Conference was forced down after the 1981 season.

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    You are too young to remember, but in those days USL and USM were I-A/FBS where the scholarship limit was 99. They had 25-30 more scholarship players than Tech which was I-AA after the Southland Conference was forced down after the 1981 season.
    Yep! and USL refused to go down and stayed in IA as an independent. One would think by doing that it would have paid off long term, but it didn't help them garner any real advantage over us and some others.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Beat Jerry Rice and Miss Valley State 66-19, and Jackson State 44-21. We led 44-0 then with about 10 mins left we cleared the bench, and JSU got 3 late, garbage time TDs.

The Valley game...I was standing around a group of their fans, about 12 of 'em, all decked out in their school's garb, and running their mouths BIG TIME before the game, and for a good portion of the 1st qtr. And then...they started getting quiet. They did jump around and high five each other, and then looked at we Tech fans with a smug look when Rice made that spectacular catch and run....but that just cut the score to Tech 38 Valley 19 at the half. We outscored 'em 28-0 in the second half. Our defense settled in and got the gist of their no-huddle, hurry-up offense and solved it. Valley was ahead of the times, back in '84, with that high octane offense. Willie Totten was the QB, and he was good. In addition to Rice they had other good players. Lost in all the passing was their huge fullback who had something like 250 yds rushing that day. They would spread out the defense will all those WRs, and then run that big FB right up the middle and the whole pile would move 8-10 yards each time.

Don't remember the exact numbers, but Valley easily had 500+ yards of total offense, and we had 600+ yards. The biggest difference was we finished drives, while their drives stalled in the red zone or they turned it over. It was a fun game! I admit I was nervous going into that one. The numbers Valley had hung up, like 1,000 yds of offense in one game, and often scoring 70+ pts, was enough to make us wonder if Tech could hang with 'em. But looking at their schedule it was all SWAC teams and games against the likes of Oklahoma Panhandle State. Tech was the first, and only, real football team they played.
    I'm pretty sure it was Alcorn St that we played in Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by brtransplant View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was Alcorn St that we played in Jackson.
    Alcorn State, Jackson State...what's the difference?

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

The thing I remember was sitting in the stands surrounded by Grambling, Southern and other SWAC fans who were rooting for Tech. Valley had run the score up on many of thier teams and they wanted and got a Valley take down.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

There was a stretch there of 2-3 years where NLU beat us late in the season then just had to win one more game to make the playoffs, and laid an egg each year. I'm pretty sure they could have made the playoffs in '84 instead of us if they just could have won the game after ours -- and they blew it against a team they should have beaten easily. I always figured it had a lot to do with the fact that they got so high about playing us

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    There was a stretch there of 2-3 years where NLU beat us late in the season then just had to win one more game to make the playoffs, and laid an egg each year. I'm pretty sure they could have made the playoffs in '84 instead of us if they just could have won the game after ours -- and they blew it against a team they should have beaten easily. I always figured it had a lot to do with the fact that they got so high about playing us
    Good point and it would still apply today if we agreed to play them on a regular basis. I'm not saying they would win, but it would breath life into an otherwise dead fan base. Get ready if they win 6. The talk won't be about them going to a bowl game, rather it will be about how they can play Tech in a bowl game. They are pitiful

Go easy on ulm….we're all they have.

+ Reply to Thread