+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: J知ar Smith is not the answer nor a rockstar! Bench him now

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: J知ar Smith is not the answer nor a rockstar! Bench him now

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    Here is the thing when it comes to alumni money.. the days of people giving blindly for the school are gone. That isn’t how the younger generations process, they question “why”, “what’s it going to be used for”, etc. they along with people like myself who are in the ever tightening middle class also want to make sure their money goes as far as it can.

If you want my money then you have to give me something of value for it. At one time that could be as simple as the products we were putting on the field/court. Right now there is nothing of value for my consideration of their offer. There is nothing to entice me to give to LTAC, pay ticket prices, concessions, gas, 4-5 hours of traveling time one way.

My wife and I love Louisiana Tech, we have 4 degrees between the two of us, numerous family members with Tech degrees, and who were employees at Tech. We want to retire to Ruston someday possibly. We would love to work in the athletic department And help better things. All that to say, about a year ago we sat down and decided how best to use the little funds we have each year to give to Tech, and that now goes into the academic mission of the university for scholarships etc.

Until the product on the field from a coaching and athletic administration stand point drastically changes, Nothing will be coming back to athletics, except the occasional single game tickets.

Some people will say if you don’t give we can’t grow, well that’s on the AD now, because he is the prime driver in this car wreck financially.
    Excellent post, DallasDog.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

If I lived out of town, it would be tough to justify attending any sport but baseball. Even living in town, I知 not going to rush out of the deer stand Saturday.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Maybe not thrive, but it you are bound and determined to declare him as your best QB you have to design around him not force him into what he can't do.
    ...which frankly, really makes me disappointed in Tim Rattay, J'Mar's QB coach.

These days I often walk away from LA Tech games saying to myself, "Doesn't Tim Rattay coach J'Mar to throw the ball sooner?....or to throw to the wide open receiver on the shorter route, instead of to the deeper route that's double covered? Doesn't Rattay coach J'Mar to put touch on his passes?.....or to run properly as a QB, instead of doing the electric slide? Does Tim Rattay have any impact on this young man at all?"

If Rattay really is doing these things, then I believe it's a sign that J'Mar may not be coachable.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    ...which frankly, really makes me disappointed in Tim Rattay, J'Mar's QB coach.

These days I often walk away from LA Tech games saying to myself, "Doesn't Tim Rattay tell J'Mar to throw the ball sooner?....or to throw to the wide open receiver on the shorter route, instead of to the deeper route that's double covered? Doesn't Rattay coach J'Mar to put touch on his passes?.....or to run properly as a QB, instead of doing the electric slide? Does Tim Rattay have any impact on this young man at all?"

If Rattay really is doing these things, then I believe it's a sign that J'Mar may not be coachable.
    I've pointed out several times that if you watch the sidelines during a game, you will see Holtz interrupt Rattay while he is coaching up Smith. I saw it again yesterday just watching on TV. Rattay it not the problem.

He has been consistently better when we run fast paced. When we get ahead we start doing the meer cat crap and running for 1 or less on EVERY 1st down.
    Absolute TRUTH.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

He has been consistently better when we run fast paced. When we get ahead we start doing the meer cat crap and running for 1 or less on EVERY 1st down.
    THIS!!! People are finally recognizing the real problem offensively. USF fans told us in 2013 that Holtz is stubbornly conservative and that we would lose a lot of close "1-point" games. It doesn't matter if J'Mar, Drew Brees, or Bozo the Clown is playing QB, once we get a lead Holtz STOMPS ON THE OFFENSIVE BRAKES!!! Holtz won't even call the play for signal by coach Sloan until 15 seconds or less are on the play clock. It clearly frustrates the hell out of J'Mar as you can see him begging for the play to be signaled in! Then it is very often the same exact play that Holtz called on the previous drive's 1st/2nd/3rd down (two of which will be our unproductive, slow-developing draw that results in -3 to +1 yards). Then we punt.

In the very few instances that we have played aggressive, fast-paced offense (ala Sonny Dykes/Seth Lattrell/Gary Crowton) we have been extremely difficult to stop!!! Holtz refuses to stick with this and he certainly isn't signing up loads of TEs and FBs to support this stupid 'run the clock out' prevent offense.

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

If people are posting on this thread and it constantly moves to the top of the forum, then there must be some merit to the title. Essentially, he gets paid to play. Free school, free tutors, free housing, free food, free, free, free, while I, like so many others, had to pay out of my own pocket to attend. I think we have a right to place blame anywhere we feel it needs to be placed. After watching him game in and game out, I have concluded he would be great at hot potato.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

JMar only made a few bad throws yesterday. One if his best games of the year, and Holtz just wastes it in the second half. He also ran without sliding, which was fresh.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

There is something us fans can do if we don’t want to be “mediocre”.
    So Holtz is holding the offense hostage until we give more?

Ok fine. What is the LTAC level at which I can induce the coach to run an exciting, up-tempo offense worthy of my family’s entertainment budget?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    JMar only made a few bad throws yesterday. One if his best games of the year, and Holtz just wastes it in the second half. He also ran without sliding, which was fresh.
    Yep, Smith had a pretty good first half, and overall, he was "okay." But to me, that just shows how far down our expectations have dropped re: QB play. 27 of 43, 265 yds, 1 TD ....very, very pedestrian by Tech QB standards. Bet we wouldn't be singing the praises of one of our good QBs after a loss and a performance like that.

But, as we are forced to extract the good out of Smith's performance, like a dentist pulling a wisdom tooth, yeah, I saw some better things. He ran and dove ahead, that was good, and his throw on that 4th and 1, the floater to the TE, was very nice! But, a Div I QB is expected to make more than a few nice plays.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Holtz is the problem. He knows that this is his last head coaching gig and he's doing nothing more than marking time as he coasts into retirement.

We need a fresh start, complete with a fresh new HC, and for damn sure, a new OC.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I don't think Holtz is the problem....well, he is, but he's also not. (that make any sense to you?)

In 2016 Holtz called the plays and Higgins and the offense did pretty good. The year before, Driskel and the O put up numbers, the year before that Sokol and the O did a good job. Holtz was right there, on the sideline, calling plays. Then along comes 2017 and now 2018 and Holtz is still calling the plays, only the O is anemic. What has changed?

So, it can't be Holtz who obviously knew how to call plays in 2014-2016, must be the other key ingredient....the QB. But, Holtz is the HC, and he's had time....25 starts now and a sluggish 14-11 record... to analyze and make changes. He has failed miserably at it. And that is what is Holtz's fault.

I guarantee if all of a sudden one of those QBs showed up, like looky here! we found more eligibility for Ryan Higgins...this exact same offense, same OL, same WRs, same RBs, same Holtz calling plays would average 14-17 more points per game FOR THE SOLE REASON THAT WE NOW HAD A REAL QB! Period.

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I don't think Holtz is the problem....well, he is, but he's also not. (that make any sense to you?)

In 2016 Holtz called the plays and Higgins and the offense did pretty good. The year before, Driskel and the O put up numbers, the year before that Sokol and the O did a good job. Holtz was right there, on the sideline, calling plays. Then along comes 2017 and now 2018 and Holtz is still calling the plays, only the O is anemic. What has changed?

So, it can't be Holtz who obviously knew how to call plays in 2014-2016, must be the other key ingredient....the QB. But, Holtz is the HC, and he's had time....25 starts now and a sluggish 14-11 record... to analyze and make changes. He has failed miserably at it. And that is what is Holtz's fault.

I guarantee if all of a sudden one of those QBs showed up, like looky here! we found more eligibility for Ryan Higgins...this exact same offense, same OL, same WRs, same RBs, same Holtz calling plays would average 14-17 more points per game FOR THE SOLE REASON THAT WE NOW HAD A REAL QB! Period.
    Just 7 more points would be nice. In the past 4 games, J'Mar scored 3 touchdowns. In the last 7 games, he scored 6 touchdowns.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

True read option utilizing motions and play action passing. Under center for plays other than a wing-T. Pick routes, hi-low concepts where one read is all you need. The freedom to tuck and run. High tempo. Any kind of creativity would help J’Mar.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    Just 7 more points would be nice. In the past 4 games, J'Mar scored 3 touchdowns. In the last 7 games, he scored 6 touchdowns.
    .....he's gotta get this team to score more than 3 points in the 2nd half against ANYBODY!

+ Reply to Thread