+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much more can you take?

2005 Bowl Confidence Contest Champion LaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the rough LaTechRandy's Avatar

Re: How much more can you take?

Here is a prime example of how apathetic I am about 2018 Louisiana Tech football. I live about 3 hours east of Ruston and of course there is nothing in the local media about Louisiana Tech, unless it is the week before we play one of the Mississippi schools, so it is on me to check this board, look at ESPN’s website, whatever to find out when we play, who we are playing, etc.
    This morning, I got up and checked ESPN to see what time we were playing today and to my surprise our game was listed on Friday and what do you know, we won! I just assumed we played Saturday and didn’t care enough to figure out ahead of time that we played on Friday.
    I will be in Starkville next week, I’ve got a daughter at MSU, so it is a good excuse to spend some time with her. However, I am not looking forward to the abuse I will take from all the MSU people the week after the game. The week after our game with them (3rd and 93) was brutal last year and I’m sure this year we will make Nick Fitz look like a potential NFL draft pick again.
    Hopefully the Dawgs prove me wrong and after next week I am fired up about Tech football again.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    I beginning to question the fandom of some our our JMar fans. We all want the guy to do good, but (see title of thread).
    Haha!

Puppy deacon seems to have something between the earsdeacon seems to have something between the earsdeacon seems to have something between the earsdeacon seems to have something between the earsdeacon seems to have something between the earsdeacon seems to have something between the ears

Game management. Exactly. J’Mar has been coached into mediocrity. I think he’s heard “don’t get hurt” and “don’t turn it over” so much that he plays slow and in his head instead of just being the athlete he is. It’s restricter plate racing. It’s gonna create a bottleneck.

The offense SHOULD be simplified for a QB like J’Mar but not for the above mentioned reasons. It should be simpler so he can play FAST. He looks like a different QB at tempo. Holtz should give him 1-2 picks a game knowing that when he plays that way he’ll get 4-5 TD passes. Higgins knew he had J’Mar behind him who is an athletic QB with a big arm. As a consequence Higgins was lights out full speed and aggressive. I know there’s no J’Mar behind J’Mar but Holtz should still have him play as if there were to get the most out of him.

Our receivers have talent. J’Mar is talented. They need to play pedal to the metal. If they did we’d score 40+ instead of 21 on FAU.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by deacon View Post
    Game management. Exactly. J’Mar has been coached into mediocrity. I think he’s heard “don’t get hurt” and “don’t turn it over” so much that he plays slow and in his head instead of just being the athlete he is. It’s restricter plate racing. It’s gonna create a bottleneck.

The offense SHOULD be simplified for a QB like J’Mar but not for the above mentioned reasons. It should be simpler so he can play FAST. He looks like a different QB at tempo. Holtz should give him 1-2 picks a game knowing that when he plays that way he’ll get 4-5 TD passes. Higgins knew he had J’Mar behind him who is an athletic QB with a big arm. As a consequence Higgins was lights out full speed and aggressive. I know there’s no J’Mar behind J’Mar but Holtz should still have him play as if there were to get the most out of him.

Our receivers have talent. J’Mar is talented. They need to play pedal to the metal. If they did we’d score 40+ instead of 21 on FAU.
    I think this is accurate, but Skip would probably ask you what the difference would be in a 40-32 win with 3 picks versus a 21-13 win with 0 picks. It's hard to answer. Potentially more fans at home games? He has his formula and it can drive people mad.

Puppy deacon seems to have something between the earsdeacon seems to have something between the earsdeacon seems to have something between the earsdeacon seems to have something between the earsdeacon seems to have something between the earsdeacon seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    I think this is accurate, but Skip would probably ask you what the difference would be in a 40-32 win with 3 picks versus a 21-13 win with 0 picks. It's hard to answer. Potentially more fans at home games? He has his formula and it can drive people mad.
    Good point. I would counter by asking skip what the difference is between multiple 3 and outs in a row throughout the game vs a pick or two with a more potent offense. I would point out his long history of blowing games when he slows the offense down and plays not to lose.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Amen brother. When we play fast this is an entirely different team! Holtz doesn't believe this though and prefers to delay the next playcall so that it is signaled in with 15 seconds left on the clock. It prevents any rhythm offensively and cost us another delay of game penalty yesterday.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good point. I would counter by asking skip what the difference is between multiple 3 and outs in a row throughout the game vs a pick or two with a more potent offense. I would point out his long history of blowing games when he slows the offense down and plays not to lose.
    Yep, that's Skip.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Holtz has dumbed down the offense for Smith. It's been done gradually over the past year+ so it is not noticeable, unless you're a nerd for football scheming, and note such things. But, after reflecting on it, I now think Holtz has reluctantly made alterations to the game plan because of Smith, and we'll once again see the whole playbook after Smith is gone and we again have a real QB.
    It is for this reason, I mean the dumbing down, that we will see nothing different for the rest of the season. We are winning games in spite of J’Mar. We have not lost entirely because of him. I am holding out hope naively that Holtz doesn’t want to burn Elliot’s red shirt. Scuttle butt is that he is the real deal. From my peon sources anyway.

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by mildawg View Post
    Not sure changing QBs would have any effect on our run game. We do nothing to keep the defense guessing. No misdirection, no nothing. Last night I could count the number of times we ran outside on 3 fingers, and it may not have even been that many. Other than in goal line and short yardage situations, all we--and our opposition--sees from our running game is a slooowww handoff to the lone back who runs right up the middle into virtually the entire defense. Thankfully Dancy was able to make something out of nothing on a few plays.

This running game is as hard to watch as the old delay draw we ran ad nauseum under Dooley/Scelfo. There are a ton of things we could do to inject some life into the offense, such as running the 3-back formation Kam scored on or using our receivers as decoys or on jet sweeps. Lots of things we could be doing to make our offense appear that it wasn't drawn on a postage stamp by a 3rd grader during recess. JMar does not limit that aspect of our offense -- that's all on the coach(es).
    Having a passing attack like we had with Sokol, Driskell & Higgins will definitely help our running game. There were multiple games in that era that our passing game opened up the running game. You could argue we were pass first. Even when Dixon was here our passing game helped softened the line of scrimmage. Now no one fears our passing efficiency so they just scheme to shut down the run & dare Smith to beat them. Last night FAU beat themselves with costly mistakes & still should have beat us with their 3rd string QB.
    We did outplay them in 4th qtr when their D-line was worn down and we were very lucky to still be in the game Any psssing game from FAU we get blown out.
    MsState game will be out of hand by halftime
    I predict we have maybe 225 yds of total offense to their 500. We will lose to USM bcuz they are better than FAU & will not gift us the win. I think we squeak out a win over Rice & WKU in two more ugly wins -finishing
    8-4 beating nobody worth a crap.
    However it will be marketed as the best years in Tech FB history & perhaps on paper it is but the tastebuds say differently.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Holtz has dumbed down the offense for Smith. It's been done gradually over the past year+ so it is not noticeable, unless you're a nerd for football scheming, and note such things. But, after reflecting on it, I now think Holtz has reluctantly made alterations to the game plan because of Smith, and we'll once again see the whole playbook after Smith is gone and we again have a real QB.
    I think you are right. It has become quite noticeable to me that 90% of J'Mar's passes are to a receiver that is standing still. Of the passes J'Mar throws, most are to receivers running a "button hook" pattern (with the receiver essentially standing still), a "comeback" pattern (where the receiver is running back towards the line of scrimmage, but not down field), or that long screen pass down the line of scrimmage, that we're so fond of. All of these are passes to a receiver who is basically stationary at the time of the reception.

I can only attribute this to J'Mar's lack of accuracy on most of his passes to receivers who are moving.

This has got to be by design. Holtz knows that J'Mar has trouble hitting receivers ON THE RUN! Last night, on a couple of SLANT passes, we had receivers open ON THE RUN.....but J'Mar either threw an uncatchable ball behind the receiver or simply under-threw the ball altogether. The lone exception appears to be the "flag" down and out pattern that we scored one TD on. I think Holtz is okay with J'Mar throwing that pass because it's far outside and it's almost impossible to intercept, as long as he overthrows it, when he always does.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mildawg View Post
    Not sure changing QBs would have any effect on our run game. We do nothing to keep the defense guessing. No misdirection, no nothing. Last night I could count the number of times we ran outside on 3 fingers, and it may not have even been that many. Other than in goal line and short yardage situations, all we--and our opposition--sees from our running game is a slooowww handoff to the lone back who runs right up the middle into virtually the entire defense. Thankfully Dancy was able to make something out of nothing on a few plays.

This running game is as hard to watch as the old delay draw we ran ad nauseum under Dooley/Scelfo. There are a ton of things we could do to inject some life into the offense, such as running the 3-back formation Kam scored on or using our receivers as decoys or on jet sweeps. Lots of things we could be doing to make our offense appear that it wasn't drawn on a postage stamp by a 3rd grader during recess. JMar does not limit that aspect of our offense -- that's all on the coach(es).
    See my post on another thread about LA Tech OC Todd Fitch. We hired an OC that was a horrible loser OC at South Florida (w/Holtz, 2010-12) and at Boston College (2015). Now he's delivering exactly what he has always delivered: a horrible offense. Should we really be surprised?

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    How much more of this can I take? Four more wins worth.
    How’d that work out for you?

+ Reply to Thread