+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much more can you take?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: How much more can you take?

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    Did he change schemes for J'Mar? His scheme 2 years ago (with Higgins) was the #2 offense in the country.
    It’s complicated. Skip coaches J’Mar toward game management...which he’s not skilled at. Our OL has struggled and our RB have been banged up. It’s a perfect storm. On top of that, we don’t have much on the bench.

That said, this team is winning games it lost last year. We’ll be favored in 75% of our remaining games.

It hasn’t been “fun”, but we’re winning.

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

Scheme is not the primary issue. We do not have a QB who can make decisions at the line of scrimmage & as the play unfolds. He melts, he shakes his head then he trots over to Rattay to have the same conversation of what he did or didn’t do - yet again.
    Last night most of the sacks were on him not the line. He doesn’t recognize corner blitz & the need to get rid of the ball, he doesn’t run when no one is open & there is nothing but green grass ahead, and some games he’s accurate & some games he misses a lot of easy pitch & catch throws. He just not consistent & there really is no other reason why our offense isn’t scoring 35-40 pts per game. We did with all 3 QBs prior to Smith so no reason to look for other reasons - HE IS the common denominator.
    NOW in spite of his play we are a mediocre bowl eligible team, not pleasant to watch, not entertaining & fan enthusiasm or lack of is the result. Last night when the tall QB came in for one play the color guy mentioned the desire to redshirt Elliot. Maybe that’s why Skip won’t play him - He wants to redshirt both backups - Elliot & Allen.
    SO we got Jmar another yr unless redshirt junior Elliot beats him out next spring.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

If your QB can’t run the scheme and you don’t change it or have a QB who can, you have a scheme issue.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Did he change schemes for J'Mar? His scheme 2 years ago (with Higgins) was the #2 offense in the country.
    Holtz has dumbed down the offense for Smith. It's been done gradually over the past year+ so it is not noticeable, unless you're a nerd for football scheming, and note such things. But, after reflecting on it, I now think Holtz has reluctantly made alterations to the game plan because of Smith, and we'll once again see the whole playbook after Smith is gone and we again have a real QB.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Holtz has dumbed down the offense for Smith. It's been done gradually over the past year+ so it is not noticeable, unless you're a nerd for football scheming, and note such things. But, after reflecting on it, I now think Holtz has reluctantly made alterations to the game plan because of Smith, and we'll once again see the whole playbook after Smith is gone and we again have a real QB.
    I think he has open receivers he's not seeing/hitting in the same scheme as always. I think it's because he is too scared to throw a pick. I think they should change the scheme for him or find a guy who is better in this scheme. A better QB will give the appearance that the coaches know what they are doing again (has the whole playbook).

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I think he has open receivers he's not seeing/hitting in the same scheme as always. I think it's because he is too scared to throw a pick. I think they should change the scheme for him or find a guy who is better in this scheme. A better QB will give the appearance that the coaches know what they are doing again (has the whole playbook).
    Exactly. He looked the same last year and we hoped he would grow out of it. If anything it is worse. Did you notice his reluctance to run last night? After the game winning run vs. UTEP we thought maybe....but nope. He is scared. Can't play this game scared.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Exactly. He looked the same last year and we hoped he would grow out of it. If anything it is worse. Did you notice his reluctance to run last night? After the game winning run vs. UTEP we thought maybe....but nope. He is scared. Can't play this game scared.
    Two negative BSers alert! DON'T READ THIS or you'll stop being a Tech fan.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Two negative BSers alert! DON'T READ THIS or you'll stop being a Tech fan.
    I beginning to question the fandom of some our our JMar fans. We all want the guy to do good, but (see title of thread).

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar

Not sure changing QBs would have any effect on our run game. We do nothing to keep the defense guessing. No misdirection, no nothing. Last night I could count the number of times we ran outside on 3 fingers, and it may not have even been that many. Other than in goal line and short yardage situations, all we--and our opposition--sees from our running game is a slooowww handoff to the lone back who runs right up the middle into virtually the entire defense. Thankfully Dancy was able to make something out of nothing on a few plays.

This running game is as hard to watch as the old delay draw we ran ad nauseum under Dooley/Scelfo. There are a ton of things we could do to inject some life into the offense, such as running the 3-back formation Kam scored on or using our receivers as decoys or on jet sweeps. Lots of things we could be doing to make our offense appear that it wasn't drawn on a postage stamp by a 3rd grader during recess. JMar does not limit that aspect of our offense -- that's all on the coach(es).

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mildawg View Post
    Not sure changing QBs would have any effect on our run game. We do nothing to keep the defense guessing. No misdirection, no nothing. Last night I could count the number of times we ran outside on 3 fingers, and it may not have even been that many. Other than in goal line and short yardage situations, all we--and our opposition--sees from our running game is a slooowww handoff to the lone back who runs right up the middle into virtually the entire defense. Thankfully Dancy was able to make something out of nothing on a few plays.

This running game is as hard to watch as the old delay draw we ran ad nauseum under Dooley/Scelfo. There are a ton of things we could do to inject some life into the offense, such as running the 3-back formation Kam scored on or using our receivers as decoys or on jet sweeps. Lots of things we could be doing to make our offense appear that it wasn't drawn on a postage stamp by a 3rd grader during recess. JMar does not limit that aspect of our offense -- that's all on the coach(es).
    And this post in no way is a defense of Jmar. We will continue to struggle in the passing game with his lack of vision and awareness, and his 18th century musket accuracy.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    It’s complicated. Skip coaches J’Mar toward game management...which he’s not skilled at. Our OL has struggled and our RB have been banged up. It’s a perfect storm. On top of that, we don’t have much on the bench.

That said, this team is winning games it lost last year. We’ll be favored in 75% of our remaining games.

It hasn’t been “fun”, but we’re winning.
    J'Mar no longer confounds me. I think I understand what he is and it defies simplistic explanations. What's interesting to me is how this team turns games into unorthodox brawls--filled with clutches mixed with rabbit jabs and wild haymakers. It's like we intend to make the entire contest ugly and void of rhythm. Almost like the team prefers to brawl even when they don't have to. Some opponents don't mind playing ugly and grapple with us until they can land some punches. Others lose themselves in the chaos. We're going to make it ugly. That's for sure. All of the wins and loses are UGLY. Embrace it.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    J'Mar no longer confounds me. I think I understand what he is and it defies simplistic explanations. What's interesting to me is how this team turns games into unorthodox brawls--filled with clutches mixed with rabbit jabs and wild haymakers. It's like we intend to make the entire contest ugly and void of rhythm. Almost like the team prefers to brawl even when they don't have to. Some opponents don't mind playing ugly and grapple with us until they can land some punches. Others lose themselves in the chaos. We're going to make it ugly. That's for sure. All of the wins and loses are UGLY. Embrace it.
    You are seeing what I am seeing except I don't think we prefer it this way, it's just who this team is. Its just an inconsistent team because the QB is not consistent. It almost feels like a small miracle when we complete a pass.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

How much more of this can I take? Four more wins worth.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

You are seeing what I am seeing except I don't think we prefer it this way, it's just who this team is. Its just an inconsistent team because the QB is not consistent. It almost feels like a small miracle when we complete a pass.
    The way I'm using brawl implies inconsistency. It is an ugly form of combat. There is a strange consistency to the inconsistencies.

In fact, I've gotten some entertainment by reading how people try to describe it. Like the thread title states--it's hard to take. Can't even determine if we're good or bad but the ref keeps lifting our hands up at the end of match. It's perplexing but it's effective. I'm growing accustomed to it. Sorta reminds me of the Jacksonville Jaguars under Bortles a couple of years ago.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Varsity Bulldog Bayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to all Bayou Dawg's Avatar

One play that has been taken out of the playbook is the power T formation. It seemed to always get the short yardage we needed. Probably because we don't have the personnel that we had in year's past.

+ Reply to Thread