+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Westin Elliott - Redshirt?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Westin Elliott - Redshirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    You're right PawDawg according to what Skip said in the radio show today. Did any one listen to the 97.7 radio show today @ 6pmCST? Skip talked about Elliott. Said he has been getting more reps in practice, and alluded that they are grooming him to get series where they can in the last four games. (that's what I took away)

So I think that we will see Elliott come in when necessary in the next four games. If current QB1 is competitive at all, this is a good thing. Competition makes us better in football, business, everything.
    Thanks for pointing out how right I am. I get that a lot.
    The last four games mantra from "Coach Speak" is the norm. He will insert him when it won't make himself or JMar look bad. Remember how Craft would get 10 and Scott would get 110? Holtz was like, "Scott did a great job in mop up duty and Craft is our starter."

Varsity Bulldog Brad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud of

Are the four games limited the regular season or are conference championship, bowl and playoff games included counted in the four games?

I am assuming it is just the regular season and the postseason does not count either way,

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Are the four games limited the regular season or are conference championship, bowl and playoff games included counted in the four games?

I am assuming it is just the regular season and the postseason does not count either way,
    j

Four games period, including post season which is just one for us. The general consensus it that Elliot will see time in the Rice, USM, and WKU games. If we are getting killed as expected this weekend, he will play at Starkville. If no Starkville, then possibly the bowl game.

Varsity Bulldog Brad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud of

Theoretically, this could force some interesting decisions for teams if a starter at a thin position gets hurt and an extremely talented redshirt has already burned his four games. Do you play a redshirt in all four games to get experience or do you limit him to to two or three games depending on the postseason situation?

These questions are not specific to Tech.

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

Why is anyone questioning redshirting Elliot? If he’s not getting significant PT, why not redshirt him??

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Hey. Nate Cox took another snap. That's two for the year I believe. It looked like they were trying to fool FAU into thinking it was going to be a throw back to J'Mar so they could run the counter. It didn't work.
    J’Mar was not on the field when Cox took a snap. J’Mar had to come off the field bc his helmet popped off during the previous play. It actually was ripped off by a defender right in front of the ref.. Not sure why there was no flag thrown.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hambone29 View Post
    J’Mar was not on the field when Cox took a snap. J’Mar had to come off the field bc his helmet popped off during the previous play. It actually was ripped off by a defender right in front of the ref.. Not sure why there was no flag thrown.
    I felt the refs went easy on them. They deserved at least 100 yards in penalties.

Why is anyone questioning redshirting Elliot? If he’s not getting significant PT, why not redshirt him??
    I don't think that is the question now. He has four games to play now and can keep his shirt. If he plays at Miss St he will only have 3 left. If not, he has 4 left, which includes a bowl game.

I don't think that is the question now. He has four games to play now and can keep his shirt. If he plays at Miss St he will only have 3 left. If not, he has 4 left, which includes a bowl game.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

I missed that. I thought he was out there.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoDawg View Post
    I'm pretty confident we will begin to see Elliott on the field beginning with either the Rice or Southern Miss game.
    Not sure I'm buying that right now. Skip just isn't a QB change type of dude. Looks to me as a way to placate the masses whilst hoping J'Mar recovers from his downward spiral. I mean, if Skip thinks Elliot is better but is sitting him for four games (since UAB, when the total cluster started), then he is rolling the dice big time. Think about it: we were in a position to lose the last two games, all to save a year for Westin Elliot? Doesn't make sense.

The only way we see Elliot is if we lose our ass. Skip ain't gonna pull the trigger in a close game no matter how bad the starter plays.

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    Not sure I'm buying that right now. Skip just isn't a QB change type of dude. Looks to me as a way to placate the masses whilst hoping J'Mar recovers from his downward spiral. I mean, if Skip thinks Elliot is better but is sitting him for four games (since UAB, when the total cluster started), then he is rolling the dice big time. Think about it: we were in a position to lose the last two games, all to save a year for Westin Elliot? Doesn't make sense.

The only way we see Elliot is if we lose our ass. Skip ain't gonna pull the trigger in a close game no matter how bad the starter plays.
    He said he was going to play him

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post

Once we lost at home to UAB, it was a moot point who played at QB. Skip knew then we wouldn’t be playing in a Conference Championship, so there’s no reason to burn a red shirt at that point. Holtz was hedging on Smith not making any mistakes and making just enough plays to pull out the win against UTEP and FAU, with the help of the defense of course.

I think the right move is to start Elliot against Rice unless Smith really steps up his game this week. At least for the first 3-4 series to see what he’s capable of doing. He may bomb big time, then again he may light the world on fire. Never know until you try.

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

Just like he has played Cox?

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    Once we lost at home to UAB, it was a moot point who played at QB. Skip knew then we wouldn’t be playing in a Conference Championship, so there’s no reason to burn a red shirt at that point. Holtz was hedging on Smith not making any mistakes and making just enough plays to pull out the win against UTEP and FAU, with the help of the defense of course.

I think the right move is to start Elliot against Rice unless Smith really steps up his game this week. At least for the first 3-4 series to see what he’s capable of doing. He may bomb big time, then again he may light the world on fire. Never know until you try.
    I would be totally shocked if he actually plays Elliot any significant amount of time.

+ Reply to Thread