+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Westin Elliott - Redshirt?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Westin Elliott - Redshirt?

D80 beat me to it.

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

Watch his high school basket video, he can shoot .

Big Dog Rama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant future Rama Jama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWillisDawg View Post
    Holtz quote today in TNS:

“Everyone wants to point to the quarterback, that’s always where it starts in an offense, but I think quarterback’s take way too much blame when they lose and way too much credit when you win. It’s a combination of everybody’s got to take a little bit of ownership of where we are and what we got to do,”

Jmar isn't going anywhere. In spite of his inability to consistently hit open receivers, know when to run - throw it away - or get sacked, recognized the blitz and get rid of the ball quickly and simply be a leader DO NOT MATTER. If I'm a back up QB at Tech and I believe I deserve the opportunity now or next year to play, I might consider transferring. Matter of fact, I would not be surprised if we lose another QB or 2 if Jmar is the starter coming our of spring.

I wonder if we could look back at South Florida forums and see if Holtz was saying the same thing about their QB at the time?

As Saban has said (obviously) the QB is the distributor of the ball. QB1 throws 900 MPH 10 yard screen passes, and consistently throws behind his receivers. I could go on, but it's been hashed and rehashed.. Only one person can make the change and his skull is 3 inches thick.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    I wonder if we could look back at South Florida forums and see if Holtz was saying the same thing about their QB at the time?
    I want to say their stud QB kept getting hurt. I imagine that was a significant factor in their swift decline.

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Bet you wouldn't say that to johnnylightin's face! He'll stomp your big toe with his high heels!

Yeah, Smith sucks! But some can't seem to grasp that concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    You may be surprised some of the things me and ole hambone have discussed over the years. He also hasn't questioned Smith's character. You've met me Jim, I don't think you nor anyone else would have any trouble saying anything to my face. I'm still betting your comments to some of our players would be tempered were they standing in front of you.
    My hands have been in contact with Johnnylightnin's rear end many times... while taking snaps under center that is!
    But you're right, I probably wouldn't say anything to his face. I've seen what he can do when he gets a full head of steam!!

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I have witnessed the same thing you all have throughout the season. I try to grant our coach the benefit of my doubts and can usually understand some reasons he does what he does. For example, J'mar made a few key throws that helped us beat FAU. I get it how he was far from exceptional and missed some plays. I understand why he shouldn't necessarily be displaced for merely experimental purposes with a new starter at this point in the season. Our wins against North Texas and FAU are significant imo.

All that said, I think it would have been constructive to let the backup play entire 4th quarter against Miss State. It is weird to me that Skip didn't allow it. I can't even think of a good reason why he didn't. J'mar didn't need to play anymore and he was obviously struggling. To play someone else seems logical considering the circumstances. It certainly causes me to question the motivation and nobody has asked Skip why he didn't let someone else play. I'm open to any possible explanation but have yet to hear one. Pleas enlighten me if you you have a theory.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I have witnessed the same thing you all have throughout the season. I try to grant our coach the benefit of my doubts and can usually understand some reasons he does what he does. For example, J'mar made a few key throws that helped us beat FAU. I get it how he was far from exceptional and missed some plays. I understand why he shouldn't necessarily be displaced for merely experimental purposes with a new starter at this point in the season. Our wins against North Texas and FAU are significant imo.

All that said, I think it would have been constructive to let the backup play entire 4th quarter against Miss State. It is weird to me that Skip didn't allow it. I can't even think of a good reason why he didn't. J'mar didn't need to play anymore and he was obviously struggling. To play someone else seems logical considering the circumstances. It certainly causes me to question the motivation and nobody has asked Skip why he didn't let someone else play. I'm open to any possible explanation but have yet to hear one. Pleas enlighten me if you you have a theory.
    Holtz doesn’t want to be wrong on Smith. IMO opinion, it’s the same reason an NFL back in Scott was playing behind Craft. Once Holtz makes a decision, it’s gospel. I can’t think of another explanation.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

It is perplexing. No one would have questioned...in fact everyone would have applauded....Holtz inserting a back up QB in the 4th qtr at Moo State. Game was long over, the outcome determined. Usually a starter is pulled in games like that because you don't want your starter getting hurt in a game already decided. That's the usual reason coaches pull starters out.

But, in this case, it does appear Holtz is not concerned about Smith getting hurt. The reasons are/can be:

1. Holtz knows Smith is chickenshit and will never put himself in harm's way
    2. Holtz knows the back-ups are better and he doesn't want the truth getting out

On number 1, if Holtz really, truly thinks Smith is his best QB, then he should have injury concerns. While it is true, and blatantly obvious, Smith is all about self-preservation and the needs of the team be damned, anything can happen. He could get rolled up by one of his own OL....friendly fire....and injure a knee or ankle and be done for the year.

As for number 2, given Holtz's inexplicable favoritism of Craft over Scott as the #1 RB, have to think it's more of the same. Only, now, we're not even seeing the other QBs.

Oh well...it is what it is....I'm just counting down to bowl game 2019, which WILL BE SMITH'S LAST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!! Yippee!

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

As for Scott and Craft, I don't think it really mattered about who started. Boston got the majority of carries and was, ultimately, drafted.

This QB issue isn't malicious imo. I think Holtz may be trying to protect Smith. But it's not helpful for someone to shield them from consequences. If, instead, Holtz is trying to protect himself, that's problematic on many levels.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

As an aside....I hate having to post things that appear to be negative toward Jared Craft. He was a good RB for Tech....a 1,000-yard rusher, and at times ran hard and I was like, Man! awesome! At other times he was just too slow to hit the hole and got stuffed at the LOS when he should have popped for 8-10 yards. That was the only complaint I had about Craft....just a little too slow. Otherwise he was a good back.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

I honestly think Holtz wants to win, and for the most part he beats the teams that he is supposed to beat.

That being said decisions with the QB are perplexing. He knows smith makes some bad throws. Like everyone they are plain to see. Smith also makes great throws. Its up/down. On one down, he may be the best QB on the team. On the next down, he can be the worst.

I dont understand holding a redshirt for a backup who will never start at Tech. Elliot/Allen/Cox should have come in in the 4th quarter of MSU, but stubborness or misguided protection or something gets in his way of making that call.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    I honestly think Holtz wants to win, and for the most part he beats the teams that he is supposed to beat.
    I do too, but it appears that Holtz is more concerned with his game plan working than making adjustments when the other team has him figured out. We've seen this SO MANY times over the years and we were told when he came here that he coached that way. When you are in no danger of losing your job, you can do whatever you want to do with no concern of what our 9000 fans think.

9,000? doubt all of us will show up Saturday. Boring team, lousy QB vs. an even worse opponent....and horrible weather to boot! 5,000....maybe?

Ya know, tis a shame too. Remember 2001 our first year in the WAC and Rice the visitor. We easily had 23,000 butts in the seats (announced 25K+ as I recall). We jumped out 35-0 and then had to win in OT!!! Whew! talk about avoiding a total meltdown. Anyway, it was a good day for college football in Ruston. Nice crowd....a loud crowd! the MOB was there teasing us about '"which shade of blue we should use." Nice contingent of Rice fans, about 1,000+ mostly sitting together on the east side. Man! I thought we had arrived. That being in the WAC would be awesome...which it mostly was.

Now...look at this mess.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    9,000? doubt all of us will show up Saturday. Boring team, lousy QB vs. an even worse opponent....and horrible weather to boot! 5,000....maybe?

Ya know, tis a shame too. Remember 2001 our first year in the WAC and Rice the visitor. We easily had 23,000 butts in the seats (announced 25K+ as I recall). We jumped out 35-0 and then had to win in OT!!! Whew! talk about avoiding a total meltdown. Anyway, it was a good day for college football in Ruston. Nice crowd....a loud crowd! the MOB was there teasing us about '"which shade of blue we should use." Nice contingent of Rice fans, about 1,000+ mostly sitting together on the east side. Man! I thought we had arrived. That being in the WAC would be awesome...which it mostly was.

Now...look at this mess.
    And if I remember correctly, it was a day game and hot as hell.

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

I hope our president is taking note of the consistent decline in attendance this year and last year. With the new stadium upgrades and repeat bowl eligibility the program is losing its appeal. No other explanation than the product on the field is boring and frustrating. Tech has always struggled to consistently break 22-23k in attendance but this year especially its a 10k swing in the wrong direction.

ULMNLU sold $8 tics last week. Not saying we need to do that but 2k @ $10 is better than O @ $0.

+ Reply to Thread