+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Westin Elliott - Redshirt?

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Re: Westin Elliott - Redshirt?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Would there be a good reason if UAB were to drop one unexpectedly and still have MTSU on their schedule?
    That would definitely change the game for sure. I don’t see that happening though.

Big Dog Rama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant future Rama Jama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    Once we lost at home to UAB, it was a moot point who played at QB. Skip knew then we wouldn’t be playing in a Conference Championship, so there’s no reason to burn a red shirt at that point. Holtz was hedging on Smith not making any mistakes and making just enough plays to pull out the win against UTEP and FAU, with the help of the defense of course.

I think the right move is to start Elliot against Rice unless Smith really steps up his game this week. At least for the first 3-4 series to see what he’s capable of doing. He may bomb big time, then again he may light the world on fire. Never know until you try.
    I agree with starting Elliot against Rice. We always give the opponent a TD or two, don't panic, and come back, so no harm. After watching Arron Allen's high school highlights, I think he is the true dual threat, but then again we are not at practice watching QBs.

A comment made by JMar's uncle/father/guardian (not sure as he has a different last name than JMar) still sticks with me. When people on FB were coming down on JMar after UAB, the comment was made that Tech "would be getting a new QB next year for sure, if not sooner". Don't know what that means, and you file it in the rumor mill, but when a person who has the influence level of a parent is speaking about a key player, you tend to listen.

(Sunshine Alert): Other comment that stuck with me from Monday's radio show on 97.7: Skip made the comment that JMar has done well at protecting the ball this year and "that's a big deal" to Skip. He went on to say its not always the play you MAKE, but the play you DONT MAKE (as in INT), and Skip has a good point there.

This weekend: 24-21 Tech pulls off the upset. I think we will do it. They guys "circle the wagons" and play pissed when they are on the road.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    I agree with starting Elliot against Rice. We always give the opponent a TD or two, don't panic, and come back, so no harm. After watching Arron Allen's high school highlights, I think he is the true dual threat, but then again we are not at practice watching QBs.

A comment made by JMar's uncle/father/guardian (not sure as he has a different last name than JMar) still sticks with me. When people on FB were coming down on JMar after UAB, the comment was made that Tech "would be getting a new QB next year for sure, if not sooner". Don't know what that means, and you file it in the rumor mill, but when a person who has the influence level of a parent is speaking about a key player, you tend to listen.

(Sunshine Alert): Other comment that stuck with me from Monday's radio show on 97.7: Skip made the comment that JMar has done well at protecting the ball this year and "that's a big deal" to Skip. He went on to say its not always the play you MAKE, but the play you DONT MAKE (as in INT), and Skip has a good point there.

This weekend: 24-21 Tech pulls off the upset. I think we will do it. They guys "circle the wagons" and play pissed when they are on the road.
    I don’t hate Smith. I think he has potential, but something has happened to him. He isn’t the same player he was in 2016, not by a long shot. I think he has the talent to play the position, but he’s to uptight and indecisive, and I think that’s a coaching problem. Multiple times this year he’s had opportunities to run for a first down and beyond and he doesn’t. It’s like his legs won’t work, or he’s been specifically told not to do so. If I’m Holtz, 4-5 times a game I’m calling a designed run for him. Like a 3 step drop, tuck it and run. I think it would help keep the defense honest. And yes, he has been excellent protecting the ball, but he’s so uptight about it, he can’t make the routine play for fear of throwing an INT. That’s why half of his deep balls are underthrown IMO.

Champ JDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant future JDubyadawg's Avatar

Someone mentioned that Allen is possibly a true dual threat QB?
    For the record and nothing against Allen or any young man given that label but I hate Dual Threat quarterbacks and I really hate them at La Tech.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by JDubyadawg View Post
    Someone mentioned that Allen is possibly a true dual threat QB?
    For the record and nothing against Allen or any young man given that label but I hate Dual Threat quarterbacks and I really hate them at La Tech.
    I agree.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Me too

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

But isn’t that what most people agree on? If smith was allowed to be a true dual threat guy, it would open our offense more and we would be better? Driskel, Luke, Maybe even Higgins were more dual threat than J’Mar has been.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure how to get an accurate read on J'Mar's ypc because the sacks confound the data. He's not a dynamic runner but he is more than adequate for 4-5 designed runs (not rpo's) per game imo. Our offense simply isn't good enough without that wrinkle. We can keep getting mad but it ain't going to change without an schematic change. That seems obvious to me.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

J'Mar had a rush for 58 against UAB and a rush for 43 against UTEP. Might consider using him more because our offense struggled in both of those games.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

I don’t get why we don’t. He isn’t a bad runner when he is determined to run.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

He's a afraid to get hit. A wuss. He "runs on eggshells" as the old saying goes. Horrible, because he's chickenshit. And yes, this offense needs a QB who will tuck and run, both in called plays, and when a play breaks down and the field opens up. Smith won't do either.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    But isn’t that what most people agree on? If smith was allowed to be a true dual threat guy, it would open our offense more and we would be better? Driskel, Luke, Maybe even Higgins were more dual threat than J’Mar has been.
    That's what I've been saying - He was much better last year. I'm not sure if these numbers include sacks - but Driskel, Higgisn & J'mar (2017) had a better average than he does this year.

J'Mar Smith 59 122 2.1 58 2

J'Mar Smith 120 378 3.2 22 6

Ryan Higgins 88 277 3.1 71 (TD) 4

Jeff Driskel 92 323 3.5 37 5

Cody Sokol 53 46 0.9 32 (TD) 2

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    I don’t get why we don’t. He isn’t a bad runner when he is determined to run.
    He is not a good runner. He would run more if he was capable of making the right reads.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    He's a afraid to get hit. A wuss. He "runs on eggshells" as the old saying goes. Horrible, because he's chickenshit. And yes, this offense needs a QB who will tuck and run, both in called plays, and when a play breaks down and the field opens up. Smith won't do either.
    A little stronger description than I had in mind, but he does not run like a football player. Some of that is probably due to Holtz coaching it out of him.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    A little stronger description than I had in mind
    A little?

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    He is not a good runner. He would run more if he was capable of making the right reads.
    This is exactly correct. Guy has no vision at all when he does decide to run. One of the best examples was the first drive of the bowl game last year after the fumble recovery. He decided to tuck and run and had a ton of space right in the middle of the field, but instead made a hard left toward the sideline where there were 2 or 3 defenders waiting on him. Turned a 15-yard gain into 3 yards. Have seen the same happen several times this year as well.

+ Reply to Thread