+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: +20.5 at Miss State

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

Re: +20.5 at Miss State

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    Perhaps Navy in 2016 (neutral site... with an asterisk since the Top 25 wasn't re-populated after their loss in their last game). Stretch, I know.
    And #22 Fresno in 2005. Looking through the schedules we've had, we haven't played very many ranked opponents.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    And #22 Fresno in 2005. Looking through the schedules we've had, we haven't played very many ranked opponents.
    We have usually played one or two ranked opponents every year. That usually being a road game at some P5. This year we have that scenario twice, at LSU and at Moo State.

Beating Bama in '99 is the only win in such a game we have. Yes, we beat a ranked Fresno at home. We have battled some ranked teams, on the road, before. Took Auburn into OT, lost to a ranked Auburn 16-14 on a last second FG, but we have also been plastered by ranked teams too.

The bigger point is, in the past, we have felt we've had a chance going in to games like this. But, I don't think anyone but a delusional Sunshine Pumper realistically gives us a chance. However....I always hold out that one in 300 million chance, same odds as winning the lottery, that we can pull one out. ODU beat Vah Tech! Appy State beat Michigan! So, who knows? Just show up, do the best you can, and maybe the football gods will have a sense of humor and we'll shock the world!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

We'll play loose. We play way better when we play loose. Their O is about as inconsistent as us...if they sputter, we could certainly cover a 20.5 point spread. If you wanna bet on Tech, do it now. I think the line will move our direction.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

I would be pleasantly surprised if we were still in the game at halftime. Our offense will get smothered all game. JMar will melt and eventually the score gets ugly. Fitzgerald has been very inconsistent but I'm guessing they will have a run/pass balance for about 450-500 yds of total offense to our
    250 yds.

Based on the way MSU has played this year, there is no reason we shouldn't be able to make this a game, but based on how we have played I just dont see it. I think State covers 41-13

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    We have usually played one or two ranked opponents every year. That usually being a road game at some P5. This year we have that scenario twice, at LSU and at Moo State.
    4 of the last 6 seasons have had 0 top 25 opponents (unless you count post play against Navy which would make it 3 of the last 6).

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    4 of the last 6 seasons have had 0 top 25 opponents (unless you count post play against Navy which would make it 3 of the last 6).
    Excuse D80. He looks at polls that are insignificant

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

Beating Bama in '99 is the only win in such a game we have. Yes, we beat a ranked Fresno at home. We have battled some ranked teams, on the road, before. Took Auburn into OT, lost to a ranked Auburn 16-14 on a last second FG, but we have also been plastered by ranked teams too.

The bigger point is, in the past, we have felt we've had a chance going in to games like this. But, I don't think anyone but a delusional Sunshine Pumper realistically gives us a chance. However....I always hold out that one in 300 million chance, same odds as winning the lottery, that we can pull one out. ODU beat Vah Tech! Appy State beat Michigan! So, who knows? Just show up, do the best you can, and maybe the football gods will have a sense of humor and we'll shock the world!
    we beat Miles his last year before moving to LSU ---- call me a REALISTIC sunshine pumper -- I knew from day one that we were desparate for money so we would play 4 $$$ games --Dooley insisted on 2- no more than that -- I assume an SEC team will wear us out with depth -- as a sun shiner I expect to lose some games and move on. I was in Florida when the beat us about 77-0 and they threw 50 yard TD on last play. At game in Huston dome when their QB set passin TD record - sportsdawg and my other sons were on field -disaster BUT we had a heck of a season and tied Maryland in I Bowl.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    we beat Miles his last year before moving to LSU ---- call me a REALISTIC sunshine pumper -- I knew from day one that we were desparate for money so we would play 4 $$$ games --Dooley insisted on 2- no more than that -- I assume an SEC team will wear us out with depth -- as a sun shiner I expect to lose some games and move on. I was in Florida when the beat us about 77-0 and they threw 50 yard TD on last play. At game in Huston dome when their QB set passin TD record - sportsdawg and my other sons were on field -disaster BUT we had a heck of a season and tied Maryland in I Bowl.
    I am with you on this. I don't think our chances are very good at MState, unless we just catch fire on offense. If we lose, though, we will be 6-3 and I will expect to keep winning after that! Don't take my "sunshine" post as believing we will lose. No matter how bad we have been playing, I ALWAYS expect to win!

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

I can only recall the Alabama win in 99. Did Tech beat more Top 25 teams on the road that I'm forgetting about?
    I wasn't really thinking only in terms of "Top 25 teams on the road". I was thinking more about BCS/P5 teams. We have won several of those games over the years. Under Skip we do not fair well in those games only one win early in his tenure against a team who finished with a losing record. But we lost some very winnable games against P5 opponents.

But I understand your line of thinking, "we suck and we have always sucked." We are having another nice season this year, but with a couple of tweaks we could be mentioned with the UCF's, USF's and Houston's of the college football world.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    I wasn't really thinking only in terms of "Top 25 teams on the road". I was thinking more about BCS/P5 teams. We have won several of those games over the years. Under Skip we do not fair well in those games only one win early in his tenure against a team who finished with a losing record. But we lost some very winnable games against P5 opponents.

But I understand your line of thinking, "we suck and we have always sucked." We are having another nice season this year, but with a couple of tweaks we could be mentioned with the UCF's, USF's and Houston's of the college football world.
    That's not my line of thinking. I was just stating the facts that Tech doesn't do well against Top 25 teams. We can hold our own against pretty good P5 teams (as has Skip), with the occasional win (like Skip), but we've only beat 1 ranked P5 team (Alabama in 1999).

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

That's not my line of thinking. I was just stating the facts that Tech doesn't do well against Top 25 teams. We can hold our own against pretty good P5 teams (as has Skip), with the occasional win (like Skip), but we've only beat 1 ranked P5 team (Alabama in 1999).
    We can hold our own against pretty good P5 teams (as has Skip) You mean the 2016 game against 7-6 Arkansas? And, the 2017 game against South Carolina? Any other games where we "held our own against" good P5 teams.

with the occasional win (like Skip) You must mean the win against 6-7 Illinois. I think that's his only win against a P5 team. His record is 1-10 against the P5. This includes losing to 4 loses to teams that finished with losing records, including a blow-out loss to a 3-9 NC State team. I suppose when your record is 1-10 you dress it up anyway you can.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    We can hold our own against pretty good P5 teams (as has Skip) You mean the 2016 game against 7-6 Arkansas? And, the 2017 game against South Carolina? Any other games where we "held our own against" good P5 teams.

with the occasional win (like Skip) You must mean the win against 6-7 Illinois. I think that's his only win against a P5 team. His record is 1-10 against the P5. This includes losing to 4 loses to teams that finished with losing records, including a blow-out loss to a 3-9 NC State team. I suppose when your record is 1-10 you dress it up anyway you can.
    Double OT loss at Kansas State (6-7). Skip won several games over Top 25 teams when he was at ECU. He beat Notre Dame on the road when he was at USF. He's proven to be a decent coach in his career. Not great, but not bad either.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Are we getting a paycheck to go to Starkville? How much?

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

7-6 Arkansas with a backup QB.
    South Carolina. Kansas State. All pretty mid-level, all held our own.

Most of the worst came in the first year. We havent played a BAD P5 team since that year. 2012 and 2013 were full of BAD P5 teams.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Skip’s win over the Illini is far better than any P5 win Dykes got in 2011 or 2012. If you want those wins, lets schedule more trash P5s.

+ Reply to Thread