+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No miracles in Minny Soda this time!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

No miracles in Minny Soda this time!

Saints 30 Vikes 20

Buried that mess.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: No miracles in Minny Soda this time!

Hmm. They dude that gave them the miracle gave much more last night. It reminded me of Joe Montana picking on Dave Waymer.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

That's all we've heard for the past year, "The miracle in Minneapolis." Have seen that play replayed a million times. Saints fans have to live with that stupid play, and relive it over and over. Well, the Saints exorcised that demon last night. Beat dem bastards. It is done.

Now, we Tech fans have had to live with that goofy 90 yard fumble mess for a year. It's been forever enshrined in a video on YouTube now, "The craziest plays in college football history." Actually we're in there twice...both on the wrong end of the deal. Now the Dawgs have a chance to make people forget that play. We can beat Moo State, on their home field. Smith, who fumbled and then bumbled his way, started that whole fumble mess last year. Now, Smith can walk in there and make Moo State pay...um....he can torch 'em….ah....he can sparkle with a great night...chit!

Well, at least the Saints have exorcised their demon.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

The Saints are cruising right now. Not perfect but a steady climb to the Top at #2 in the NFL as I type. Next week against the #1 Rams will show if they should be #1 or at the #2 -#3 range.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Our demons will probably get plenty of EXERCISE too.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    Hmm. They dude that gave them the miracle gave much more last night. It reminded me of Joe Montana picking on Dave Waymer.
    RD: I think you are thinking of the wrong Williams. The DB who gave up the play last year was Marcus Williams. The guy who the Vikings picked on last night was a CB - PJ Williams. At the same time it was PJ Williams who had the last laugh. He forced the fumble just before the half that set up a Saints touchdown and then came back in the third quarter with a pick 6.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    That's all we've heard for the past year, "The miracle in Minneapolis." Have seen that play replayed a million times. Saints fans have to live with that stupid play, and relive it over and over. Well, the Saints exorcised that demon last night. Beat dem bastards. It is done.
    The truth is I don't think it's been a demon that the Saints have needed to exorcise. I think that's a creation of the national media. In New Orleans, Marcus Williams didn't get any kind of real backlash about that play.

As was mentioned during the telecast last night the Saints fanbase has been really good to Marcus Williams since that night in January. Other than that play, he's been good on and off the field. He's put a lot into the community in a short period of time. And I think he largely got a pass for several reasons other reasons.

The Saints already have a Lombardi Trophy. For 99% of the fanbase the fact you can walk into the public lobby of the Saints facility near the ticket area and often see that trophy takes the sting off a lot of bad losses. Second, the Vikings were blown out the following week. Had they gone on to win a SuperBowl off that play, it would have stung much worse.

I know Who Dat Nation has been forgiving and kind to Marcus Williams. It was a stupid, bonehead play, no other way to describe it. I cringe every time I have seen it, like a million times. But, while Saints Nation has collectively been understanding, there is no way, NO WAY, that play didn't leave an emotional scar on Marcus Williams and on his teammates. After the game last night, on the CST post game show, you could see Diggs speaking to Marcus Williams, and several other Saints' DBs. At the end Diggs and Marcus hugged it out. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but I know exactly what it was. They talked it through together. Diggs was showing respect for Williams. Diggs knows that while that play made him a hero, and he is forever remembered for "the miracle in Minneapolis," there was a flipside to it. I didn't like Diggs before, but after watching that exchange, I have enormous respect for him. He knows his fame came with a price, paid for by Marcus Williams.

Did you listen to Chris C. almost break down emotionally when he related his game-losing fumble in that Super Bowl? Al Michaels asked him about it, and CC was very reluctant to have to relive that moment.

OH yeah! there was a demon alright. No doubt about it.

Enough of the negative stuff...here's the greatest play in football history!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sDdlJbBPLc

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Historian, I was confused

Did you listen to Chris C. almost break down emotionally when he related his game-losing fumble in that Super Bowl? Al Michaels asked him about it, and CC was very reluctant to have to relive that moment.

OH yeah! there was a demon alright. No doubt about it.
    Yes. I heard it. But Collins' play happened in the SuperBowl. Had Williams made that mistake to lose the SuperBowl it might be the defining moment of his life much less his football career. But it didn't.

A decade or more from now, it will be a big play in NFL history where Williams' role will slowly be forgotten. It will be a lot like the Immaculate Reception where a particular Raider defender - I believe it was Lester Hayes - took a lot of heat for being out of position. The same for The Catch, where Everson Walls caught heat for many years for his role in it.

I also think much if the sting is taken off by the money that now exists in the NFL. When it comes down to it, Marcus Williams is s 7 figure a year player. If he keeps playing at this level he might end up being one of the highest paid safeties in the league. Under the new CBA that might make him high 7 figures a season. That money will go a long way in helping him sleep well at night, Miny Miracle or not.

To illustrate my last point about how the money that's now in pro sports takes the sting off of things, check out this scene from the movie Fever Pitch. The setting is after a Red Sox loss in the ALCS. I think it's a very accurate depiction of what actually happened within the team. They money has made it easy for the players to "move on".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82wWSd28Zs8

Nah! competitors don't think about their paychecks in such matters. If they did, they would be even MORE upset over blowing a playoff game, since they don't get the next round of bonuses. While the money makes it easier to cope, no way are players not upset about losing a game. That is just plain stupid to even think that.

Speaking of the Saints....Happy Birthday! They are 52 today. Founded November 1, 1966, All Saints Day.

Enough of the negative stuff...here's the greatest play in football history!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sDdlJbBPLc
    Another "BTW" the Saints secondary was in "blown" coverage on that play. It worked out, yes, because Tracy Porter had been coached-up to look for just such an opportunity to make a play. But, the 4 DBs were in different coverages. One, Sharpner, was in one-deep coverage, the other safety went up in press coverage, on Harris, and the two corners, including Porter, were in Cover 2, expecting safety help over the top. Watch the replay again, note there is no Saints' safety behind Porter on that side of the field. If Porter missed it, Wayne walks in with the tying TD. I had the occasion to speak with a former Saints assistant coach who pointed that out to me. Whoa! Glad it worked out...

Nah! competitors don't think about their paychecks in such matters. If they did, they would be even MORE upset over blowing a playoff game, since they don't get the next round of bonuses. While the money makes it easier to cope, no way are players not upset about losing a game. That is just plain stupid to even think that.
    I didn't say they weren't upset about losing the game. But if you think they view this the way NFL players or teams would have viewed something like this 30, 40, or 50 years ago you are mistaken. For the most part everyone on that team, including Marcus Williams, moved in the months after the season ended.

Don't cloud the way you would have viewed this if you were on that field at their age or when you played as a youth impact the today's reality. It's a different world.

+ Reply to Thread