+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Head Football Coach Vacancies

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Head Football Coach Vacancies

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Dykes burned bridges when he left.

He's not is not welcome back for tea and crumpets at the club.
    LOL. I agree!

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Given all of their off the field issues over the past decade, Skip would be a good hire at UNC. He's an experienced head coach with a lot connections in that part of the country. He could bring stability in a short period of time to a bad situation.

I've spent time on business in both North Carolina and South Carolina over the past few months, and when I've mentioned Tech Skip's name comes up every time. He and Lou took over a bad situation at USC and turned things around in just a few years. And Skip is really well thought of in North Carolina for his run at ECU. It's going to be interesting to see where they go in a search.
    If we were at 9 wins right now, I could see this.

The national rep on Holtz seems to be that he's an experienced coach that can stabilize a program and level things off. Louisville has their guy in mind, NC will be scared off by the last couple of seasons (and they're apparently looking at Mack Brown). But I've heard that those kind of situations are the types that would be interested in Skip (but again, probably not this season).

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post

The national rep on Holtz seems to be that he's an experienced coach that can stabilize a program and level things off. Louisville has their guy in mind, NC will be scared off by the last couple of seasons (and they're apparently looking at Mack Brown). But I've heard that those kind of situations are the types that would be interested in Skip (but again, probably not this season).
    Unless they believe he could do more with their resources. Remember when Dooley was hired away? I was shocked on that one - didn't work out for him, but Tenn. wanted him because they believed he could work with their resources.

Varsity Bulldog ETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of light ETxBullDawg's Avatar

Article on SB Nation about current coaching searches including two in our conference.
    https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...yland-colorado

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

The more I think about Holtz this season, and last: Here is his strategy.....slow the game down by running the ball straight up the ass of the guard twice, then have his rockstar bail us out with a pass that is hopefully enough for a first down. Rinse and repeat. A couple of first downs is the goal, then punt. The defense only has to be good enough to keep the other team from scoring quickly. It's OK to give up yards from the 20 to the 20.

Every once in a while, have the rockstar hit a hail mary that is hauled in with a miraculous catch. A TD is preferred, but not really necessary since scoring too quickly will eat up less time on the clock. Open up holes in the middle of our own defense to allow third down and long conversions. Rinse and repeat.

Keep within reach in the third quarter, but it's not really necessary to score a TD....a FG is just fine. We are now in perfect shape....it's a close game that we HOPE we can somehow eat up the clock and win the game. Heck, it worked against Rice and UTEP!!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    SD's offense that was at Tech is at Middle Tennessee right now (Tony Franklin). He does have a knack for hiring a good OC though... not sure what he could afford at Tech (or if Franklin would come back with him). Dykes' resume is worse than Holtz's though. (3 winning seasons in 8 years).
    So, is it a just a coincidence that another Tony Franklin offense is now --this week-- on the verge of winning another conference championship?

I think not.

You guys have it backwards. Defenses don't win championships at the G5 level, OFFENSES do!

- 2013: Franklin was LA Tech's OC when we won the WAC title in 2011. Tech averaged 31 pts per game (turn around year). QB's Colby Cameron and Nick Isham combined to pass for 3,124 yds.
    - 2012: Franklin was once again LA Tech's OC when LA Tech averaged 51.5 pts per game, and QB Colby Cameron passed for 4,147 yds.
    - 2014: Marshall's CUSA title and 13-1 record was led by senior QB Rakeem Cato, and a great, wide open passing offense. The Herd averaged 46 pts per game and Cato threw for 3,903 yds.
    - 2015: WKU's CUSA title and 12-2 record was led by senior QB Brandon Doughty, and a great, wide open passing offense. WKU averaged 44.4 pts per game, and Doughty threw for 5,055 yds.
    - 2016: WKU repeats to win back to back CUSA titles, was led by junior QB Mike White and a great, wide open offense. WKU averaged 45.5 pts per game & White passed for 4,363 yds.
    - 2017: FAU wins CUSA title, on the back of OC Kendall Briles' wide open offense. FAU averaged 41 pts per game, and Jason Driskel passed for 2,247 yds.
    - 2018: MTSU will likely win the 2018 CUSA title, based upon their 27-3 defeat of UAB last Saturday. With 2 games remaining, Franklin's offense is averaging 30 pts per game, and 3,000 yds passing.

There's the blueprint guys. OFFENSE wins championships in CUSA, not defense.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

It takes both (and special teams). MT is the 5th best offense in CUSA behind North Texas, ODU, FIU, and UAB. Tech won the WAC championship in 2011 with a good defense (and special teams) and came in 3rd in the conference with the best offense in the country (and worst defense). Our offense was as good as that WKU offense in 2016, but their defense was much better than ours.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I'm telling you how to fix the problem. And sell tickets. USM has had some great defenses over the past few years, but no CUSA championships. MTSU is the 5th best offense in CUSA for a number of reasons; most notably injuries that have been sustained by their 5th yr starting QB Brent Stockstill earlier this season. Also, the reality is, the rest of the league has caught on to this "blueprint for success", and the fact that you need to pass for about 3,500 yds in this league to be a champion. Everybody but you understands that now.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

UNT and ODU were the only teams to pass for over 3500 yards this year. It takes more than just doing that obviously.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I like offense as much as the next guy, and I really enjoyed our Air Raid teams (and the Crowton years, which were cutting edge at the time).

But if/when we are looking for a new coach, my first call would be Manny Diaz.

After that, yeah - I'd be going down the Air Raid coaching tree.

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    Holtz is perfectly capable of winning a bunch of games here as a head coach. A perfect scenario for us would be Holtz hiring an up and coming OC and turning the offense completely over to him. I doubt he would be willing to do that though.
    OC is irrelevant when Holtz calls the plays. He AINT Shawn Peyton!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWillisDawg View Post
    OC is irrelevant when Holtz calls the plays. He AINT Shawn Peyton!
    Agree... I mean he should give up play-calling, fire Fitch, and bring in someone to run the offense as the OC (and not meddle with them). I have no idea if we can afford a really good OC, but it's worth a try.... our offense is too vanilla. I can't explain why the 14, 15, and 16 offenses were so good with the same plays though... maybe we require NFL talent to make a Holtz offense work?

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

If NFL talent were what it took, we'd have 3 CUSA championships, instead of the number we have now, which is, again, ZERO.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    If NFL talent were what it took, we'd have 3 CUSA championships, instead of the number we have now, which is, again, ZERO.
    I meant for the offense.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post

It's looking more and more like this is the type of direction North Carolina wants to go. They are close to a deal with Mack Brown, who can bring stability to a bad situation. You are right about 9 wins. I think Skip would be a viable candidate for that job if we were sitting with 9 wins right now. That's something you can sell to boosters.

It will be interesting to see if they can finalize a deal with Mack Brown.

+ Reply to Thread