+ Reply to Thread
Page 156 of 197 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 2947

Thread: Presidential Election 2020

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Re: Presidential Election 2020

Trump from the debate: “I know more about wind than you do.”

No truer words have ever been spoken by Trump.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Ironically, the Supreme Court basically legislated from the bench in Marbury to find that they have the power to strike down laws as unconstitutional. The constitution doesn’t actually say they have that power.

So if you really want to follow originalism to the logical extreme, there shouldn’t even be originalism.

How about that?
    Now, you're gonna cause me to spend time researching Constitutional history and law...

I am reading a wonderful three-volume set on the life of Napoleon. And usually spend my reading time on that. BTW, when he was just 16 and a lieutenant in the French revolutionary army, he was heading back to the barracks on a cold, rainy night and saw a woman on the street corner "plying her trade." After a brief conversation he learned she was only doing this to feed her family. He got them a hotel room, bought dinner, and spent the evening just talking with her. She was 21 and the oldest sibling. He paid her equal to a full night's "work" and sent her on her way the next morning. Years later, when he was Emperor, in 1814, and things were looking very bleak as the allies were invading France, a woman appeared at his headquarters with a dish of Chicken Marengo (a dish named for him). He recognized her and she merely said, "Merci." He knew what she meant.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Now, you're gonna cause me to spend time researching Constitutional history and law...

I am reading a wonderful three-volume set on the life of Napoleon. And usually spend my reading time on that. BTW, when he was just 16 and a lieutenant in the French revolutionary army, he was heading back to the barracks on a cold, rainy night and saw a woman on the street corner "plying her trade." After a brief conversation he learned she was only doing this to feed her family. He got them a hotel room, bought dinner, and spent the evening just talking with her. She was 21 and the oldest sibling. He paid her equal to a full night's "work" and sent her on her way the next morning. Years later, when he was Emperor, in 1814, and things were looking very bleak as the allies were invading France, a woman appeared at his headquarters with a dish of Chicken Marengo (a dish named for him). He recognized her and she merely said, "Merci." He knew what she meant.
    Good story.

Champ FriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond repute FriscoDog's Avatar

This is why people are upset about voter fraud and with mail in ballots..

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...ts-signatures/

Pennsylvania’s Supreme Court on Friday prohibited counties from rejecting ballots if the voter’s signature doesn’t match the signature on their voter registration.

What could possibly go wrong with this??

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Signatures never match. It's lie to say they do. In fact, matching signatures are an indicator of potential fraud.

They can only be similar, and even that is not a guarantee.

Oh, and the only real way to signatures can match is if the signature was a stamp. But then you have to initial that or do some other secondary action.

Champ FriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond repute FriscoDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    Signatures never match. It's lie to say they do. In fact, matching signatures are an indicator of potential fraud.

They can only be similar, and even that is not a guarantee.

Oh, and the only real way to signatures can match is if the signature was a stamp. But then you have to initial that or do some other secondary action.
    I agree about them being similar.. But I could sign your name and it would pass. I think common sense went out the door on this one.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Trump from the debate: “I know more about wind than you do.”

No truer words have ever been spoken by Trump.
    Trump knows more than Biden about air, soil, and whole bunch of other things. What's your point? And even if Biden ever knew it, he's forgotten it.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

this anti-originalist stuff is too much to argue with because i don't check in often enough to keep up with the discussion, but let me just say i find the complaints weak.

for example, i'm pretty sure the brown vs. board of education decision hinged on the fact that "separate educational facilities are inherently unequal" which, it seems obvious, violates the actual text of the 14th amendment. it also seems obvious that states making laws abridging freedoms guaranteed by the bill of rights would also run afoul of the 14th.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

All judges agree with the rule of law.
    in that case all judges do not agree on the definition of the rule of law. if i make laws without the legal authority to do so, then the law is not king.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

I should have added, "pretty." She's a pretty little reporterette. And, she did a good job.
    Pretty is a compliment. The rest seems odd.

Senatorette? Physicianette? Virologistette?Engineerette? Diplomatette? Vice Presidentette? Weird for this day and age, and a bit personal for me.

I agree, though, the moderator did a very good job. Way better than Matthews (but he probably got a tad blindsided by the ridiculousness)

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    LOL, projecting again.

Race is tightening up. Better hold on to your vagina.
    Grab em by the vagina!

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    this anti-originalist stuff is too much to argue with because i don't check in often enough to keep up with the discussion, but let me just say i find the complaints weak.

for example, i'm pretty sure the brown vs. board of education decision hinged on the fact that "separate educational facilities are inherently unequal" which, it seems obvious, violates the actual text of the 14th amendment. it also seems obvious that states making laws abridging freedoms guaranteed by the bill of rights would also run afoul of the 14th.
    That is in fact how the SC ruled in those cases, but those were not originalist decisions.

The 14th amendment was not understood to prohibit segregation or apply the restrictions against congress in the bill of rights to the state AT THE TIME the 14th amendment was passed. Plessy was decided much earlier than Brown and it reflects the contemporary understanding of what the 14th amendment meant. It was a century later that the courts concluded that segregation can not be consistent with equal protection. In reality, there had been and continues to be an expansion of what we understand “equal protection” means under the 14th amendment.

The incorporation doctrine is also not explicit in the 14th amendment, nor was it clearly intended.

My point is “originalism” and “not legislating from the bench” are fallacies as absolute principles. Period. In fact, as I pointed out earlier, they actually are self contradictory, when applied absolutely, because the SC legislated from the bench to give itself the power of striking down laws on the basis of constitutionality in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    in that case all judges do not agree on the definition of the rule of law. if i make laws without the legal authority to do so, then the law is not king.
    Ever heard of common law? The form of law that exists in 49 of the US states? The entire premise of that body of law is that law is created by precedent.

That is in fact how the SC ruled in those cases, but those were not originalist decisions.

The 14th amendment was not understood to prohibit segregation or apply the restrictions against congress in the bill of rights to the state AT THE TIME the 14th amendment was passed. Plessy was decided much earlier than Brown and it reflects the contemporary understanding of what the 14th amendment meant. It was a century later that the courts concluded that segregation can not be consistent with equal protection. In reality, there had been and continues to be an expansion of what we understand “equal protection” means under the 14th amendment.

The incorporation doctrine is also not explicit in the 14th amendment, nor was it clearly intended.

My point is “originalism” and “not legislating from the bench” are fallacies as absolute principles. Period. In fact, as I pointed out earlier, they actually are self contradictory, when applied absolutely, because the SC legislated from the bench to give itself the power of striking down laws on the basis of constitutionality in the first place.
    This is the most interesting part of your comments, to me. Do you have any links that summarize the history of this, the date(s) it happened, etc...?

Admittedly, I am perplexed. On the one hand, I don't favor judges (justices) "making law from the bench." I think most intelligent/informed people support a "separation of powers" and recognize the function of the three branches of government. Yeah, it is true, liberals tend to lean on the judicial to change laws when they can't get the legislative bodies to do so. And, I think that is wrong. But, setting that aside...

The Constitution is the law of the land, we are a Republic, thankfully. There has to be an arbiter that will weigh legislative actions against the ultimate law, the Constitution, and the US Supreme Court is the most obvious body to do that. So, on the other hand...yeah, I lean to supporting the SC performing that task. Even if they violated that edict at some point granting themselves that power. It was like they...whoever the justices were who actually did it...recognized the need for it and took up the mantle. This casts me into the category of being hypocritical...well, yeah...but if this is allowed to be the only time in our history and the SC faithfully denies all other courts from legislating from the bench, then IMO it can be overlooked.

This is the most interesting part of your comments, to me. Do you have any links that summarize the history of this, the date(s) it happened, etc...?

Admittedly, I am perplexed. On the one hand, I don't favor judges (justices) "making law from the bench." I think most intelligent/informed people support a "separation of powers" and recognize the function of the three branches of government. Yeah, it is true, liberals tend to lean on the judicial to change laws when they can't get the legislative bodies to do so. And, I think that is wrong. But, setting that aside...

The Constitution is the law of the land, we are a Republic, thankfully. There has to be an arbiter that will weigh legislative actions against the ultimate law, the Constitution, and the US Supreme Court is the most obvious body to do that. So, on the other hand...yeah, I lean to supporting the SC performing that task. Even if they violated that edict at some point granting themselves that power. It was like they...whoever the justices were who actually did it...recognized the need for it and took up the mantle. This casts me into the category of being hypocritical...well, yeah...but if this is allowed to be the only time in our history and the SC faithfully denies all other courts from legislating from the bench, then IMO it can be overlooked.
    It is actually a very complex topic, but it centers around the history of Marbury vs. Madison.

My point is all of this has to be seen in the greater context of history, both preceding the Constitution (going back to the Magna Carta) and after the adoption of the Constitution. These evolutions in Constitutional law are things some take for granted, but most people appreciate that the evolution in the application of the 14th amendment have had profound positive impact on the United States, except for perhaps in the narrow case for how conservatives view Roe.

“Originalism” as an absolute principle is popular in conservative circles because (1) it is conceptually similar in some respects to biblical inerrancy, so it is a comfortable absolutist principle to apply, and (2) It is generally consistent with conservative goals of not seeing new equal protection rights created.

It is either deceitful of demonstrating a profound lack of self-awareness for a judge to promote themselves as an absolute originalist.

The counter view to the SC being the ultimate arbiter of constitutionality (the result of Marbury), is that all branches are equally bound and responsible for interpreting the constitution and holding the other branches to account. The result of the SC power grab in Marbury has undoubtedly been less focus by the executive and legislative branches in comporting their conduct with the constitution and relying on the SC to be the judge.

The Framers could have specified that the judicial branch be the ultimate determiner on the issue of constitutionality or even that they wanted the judicial branch to stop the common law tradition of creating law by judicial precedent and adopt originalism as the sole interpretative paradigm if they wanted. They didn’t.

As a history buff, the history of the Magna Carta, Marbury, and then cases developing the 14th amendment are fundamental to the rule of law and Constitutionality.

+ Reply to Thread