+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Playoff Picture

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Re: NFL Playoff Picture

Newton has been playing hurt and apparently is slated for shoulder surgery in the offseason. They should shut him down now.

I am encouraged by the Saints D right now. The run D is top flight ... We are in every game because of them. Defenses seem to be coming around league-wide. This past week was the lowest scoring week in the past 2 years in the NFL. Someone posted this on SaintsReport about the run defense and the secondary has gotten better now that Apple has his feet under him.

Sept 30th - Saquon Barkley 10 carries/44 yds
    Nov.4th - Todd Gurley 13 carries/68 yds
    Nov.29 - Ezekiel Elliot 23 carries/75 yds
    Dec.17 - Christian McCaffrey 15 carries/53 yds

If Ginn could come back and we could get some health back on the O-Line we would be set up for a Super Bowl run. Having home field will help and sitting players week 17 would be a bonus.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    Newton has been playing hurt and apparently is slated for shoulder surgery in the offseason. They should shut him down now.

I am encouraged by the Saints D right now. The run D is top flight ... We are in every game because of them. Defenses seem to be coming around league-wide. This past week was the lowest scoring week in the past 2 years in the NFL. Someone posted this on SaintsReport about the run defense and the secondary has gotten better now that Apple has his feet under him.

Sept 30th - Saquon Barkley 10 carries/44 yds
    Nov.4th - Todd Gurley 13 carries/68 yds
    Nov.29 - Ezekiel Elliot 23 carries/75 yds
    Dec.17 - Christian McCaffrey 15 carries/53 yds

If Ginn could come back and we could get some health back on the O-Line we would be set up for a Super Bowl run. Having home field will help and sitting players week 17 would be a bonus.
    Our defense has played amazing the last 7 games. We need WR Ginn back ASAP. And Cam Newton showcased his fool of a self, lack of maturity and poor decision making skills once again Monday night.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

To say I LOVE the way our defense is playing...well, do I really have to post something pro-defense? Y'all know me.

We should all have reason to be concerned about the offense. Yeah, like most of you, I trust Payton/Brees to right the ship. But right it! they must. As good as the Saints' D is playing, the road to the Super Bowl goes thru some really, really stout defenses. And those teams, for the most part, are not wallowing on offense like we are. If we make it there, we might face the Chargers, who statistically, right now (and these things tend to change) is the BEST team in the NFL, overall. I'm not worried about the Chargers, yet, because just getting to the SB is still a rough road.

It starts with a "better-not-overlook-'em" Steelers team. I expect another tough tussle, one decided by 7 pts or less. Right now, given it's in the Dome, I'll say Saints 20 Steelers 16. Something like that.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

This thread is not just a Saints' thread, so...

I think Dallas will beat TB and secure the NFC East. The Eagles and even the Skins are still alive for a wildcard berth. They both have very tough games this week, the Texans and the Titans, respectively. The Vikes should beat the Lions, garnering one of the two WC slots. The Seasickhawks can lock up one too, with a win, but they have the Chiefs, so...if the Eagles, or the Skins can snatch a W, they're right there.

The AFC is also clouded. The Steelers and Ravens are battling for the AFC North division title, the other is very much in the WC hunt. As are the Titans, Dolphins, Colts for that second WC spot, as either the Chiefs or Chargers will be the #5 seed for sure.

Saturday has two HUGE games in this playoff hunt: Skins at Titans, and Ravens at Chargers. Actually, over the weekend, there are only a handful of games with no impact on the playoffs. That includes Dirty Birds at Dirty Kats....and nothing pleases me more than that. Their game is irrelevant for 2018, ya gotta love it!

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Current Picture http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

NFC
    1) Saints
    2) Rams
    3) Bears vs. 6) Vikings
    4) Cowboys vs. 5) Seahawks

AFC
    1) Chiefs
    2) Texans
    3) Patriots vs. 6) Ravens
    4) Steelers vs. 5) Chargers

Big game for the Saints today...but even bigger for Pitt. They have to win to stay alive for the playoffs. At least, that's what I think I just heard said. If that's true, this is a playoff game for Pitt. That scares me even more.

The reason this is so, is because the Ravens upset the Chargers last night, 22-10. I was flipping over to it, watching it. Kenneth Dixon had 28 yds rushing, and 2 catches for 20 yards. I did see him make a couple of really nice runs.

Whew!

If Pitt makes the playoffs, I wouldn't want to play 'em. As I recall the year they beat the Az Cardinals in that great SB, Pitt was a wildcard team.

Saints got out-played, out-coached, out-QBed...but found a way.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Whew!

If Pitt makes the playoffs, I wouldn't want to play 'em. As I recall the year they beat the Az Cardinals in that great SB, Pitt was a wildcard team.

Saints got out-played, out-coached, out-QBed...but found a way.
    Nah!!

Ah, yah! and the stats for the game show it. Glad I don't live in Lah-lah land like others do. I live in the real world....reality, baby! Big Ben had a great game! He was incredible. Why is it so hard for some fans to acknowledge that the other team played well, had a great game?

Good to see Ted Ginn back, and looking like he hasn't missed 9 weeks. But Ginn needs more reps, with Brees and the 1st string, and I hope Payton is smart enough to make sure that happens...some vs. the Dirty Kats this week. Use it like a pre-season game. But, YES! our OL is terribly banged up and getting healed-up is critical for a playoff run.

Pitt had a great game plan. On offense they didn't even try to run the ball. In the 3rd qtr Pitt had two long, TD drives, and 100% of the plays were passes. Saints are #1 against the rush, and around 20th or so, maybe 25thish, against the pass. At one time the Saints were dead last in pass defense, but have gotten a little better. On defense Pitt employed the wrong approach, at first, and Brees tore 'em up. When they went to the "Dallas" formula...the pundits have been calling it... Brees struggled more.

Anyway, last night was like the "playoffs." If you think the Saints will cake-walk to the SB "just because" you want it to be so....wake up! The NFC tourney will have nothing but salty teams in it. Saints will have to win twice to reach the SB. Glad we are at home...which gives us our best chance...but I am under no delusions about how easy it'll be.

2018 is looking a LOT like 2009. If we lose to Carolina, which will probably happen, then the Saints will finish 13-3, with the three losses to the exact same teams as in '09. The more important similarity is the way the defense gets it done....take-aways.

In other games...

Philly stayed alive...barely. The Seasickhawks are starting to get their act together. Big win over Mahomes and KC last night. More than likely the 'hawks will play at Dallas in the opening round. That should be a good one.

In the AFC...how can it be so? The Pats are a win...over the lowly Jets....away from sealing the #2 seed and a first-round bye. Everyone has been blowing them off, focusing on the Chargers, Chiefs, and the Steelers, with an occasional mention of the Texans. But no one has been touting the Pats as a serious SB contender this year. Do so at your own peril.

BTW, Boston Scott had a very nice kickoff return for the Eagles. Took a short kick around the 7 and scooted out to midfield, a 40+ yard return.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

BTW, Boston Scott had a very nice kickoff return for the Eagles. Took a short kick around the 7 and scooted out to midfield, a 40+ yard return.
    He also had a pretty big screwup. Boston made the decision to return the last kickoff, and only made it to the 10-yd line. The announcers raked him over pretty good for that decision. But, because they won, the Eagles media went easier on him:

· Kickoff returner Boston Scott, making his NFL debut, earlier had churned out a 35-yarder, but Scott got no blocking on this one and he only made it to the 11. He explained afterward that as he waited at the goal line, he couldn’t tell if the ball was going in the end zone or would hit short and bounce back toward the 5. “It was too close,” Scott said. So, 89 yards from the Texans’ end zone, the Eagles took over.
    http://www.philly.com/eagles/philade...-20181224.html

Nick Foles > Carson Wentz

But, that's a Philly problem.

NFC:

Home teams will win next weekend, setting up two rematches:

Bears at Rams
    Cowboys at Saints

AFC:

Who cares? Just battling to see who will lose in the Super Bowl. Okay....anything can happen, true.

I'm taking both road teams next weekend in my predictions, Colts over Texans, Chargers over Ravens. Although I am rooting for KD and the Ravens!

Setting up:

Colts at Chiefs
    Chargers at Pats

NFC:

Home teams will win next weekend, setting up two rematches:

Bears at Rams
    Cowboys at Saints

AFC:

Who cares? Just battling to see who will lose in the Super Bowl. Okay....anything can happen, true.

I'm taking both road teams next weekend in my predictions, Colts over Texans, Chargers over Ravens. Although I am rooting for KD and the Ravens!

Setting up:

Colts at Chiefs
    Chargers at Pats
    I want the cowgirls in Da Dome against our Saints! Dan will totally collapse under the noise and pressure of Da Dome and our fan noise.

And I would like, in the perfect world, for the Saints to face KC in the Super Bowl.

I'm not particular, I just want/hope the Saints win it. I know we have homefield, but truthfully, anything can happen. The Pitt game was like a playoff game and we barely escaped that one. I think this is the deepest the NFC bracket has ever been. Nothing but either seasoned-experienced teams, or very, very, very talented younger teams. And DEFENSE is prominent across the board.

I'm not really knocking the AFC, it's just I don't think it is nearly as strong, top to bottom, as the NFC.

+ Reply to Thread