+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video Board

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Video Board

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb019 View Post
    I was one of the first people trained on the video board when it was built. I loved getting the crowd pumped and dancing during games. As far as the production of the game, it was outsourced. I don't know how its done now. On replays, we had rules as far as what was allowed to be shown and how many times it could be shown for penalties, injuries, turnovers, ect. I don't remember if those rules were from the WAC or NCAA. . I haven't been to a game in a couple years but some issues could be resolved by training a couple full time people instead of trying to retrain workers every year or 2 to do the job. I left because I was an intern and there was no budget for another full time worker.
    The replay rules are Tech rules. Rule 1. Don't replay any plays because it is too much trouble.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    My wife and I observed that the crowd energy deflates drastically when we play Wagon Wheel. It's really bad especially right before a crucial 3rd down and the operators throw up the "Make Some Noise" graphic. The crowd intensity is gone.

It's like the feeling in this DJ trolling video, the song is getting faster/louder and about to "drop the beat" but doesn't.

The videoboard operator is like a DJ at a night club, you can really control the energy of the game. Example if there is a questionable call under-review, play the replay over-and-over to rile up the fans. It's not the time to play a Ruston ad or dance cam. That deflates the energy in the stadium (which we've done many times). I've seen us play away and their operator runs the replay over again in these situation to get the fans loud on the next play.

Big Dog Rama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant future Rama Jama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb019 View Post
    I was one of the first people trained on the video board when it was built. I loved getting the crowd pumped and dancing during games. As far as the production of the game, it was outsourced. I don't know how its done now. On replays, we had rules as far as what was allowed to be shown and how many times it could be shown for penalties, injuries, turnovers, ect. I don't remember if those rules were from the WAC or NCAA. . I haven't been to a game in a couple years but some issues could be resolved by training a couple full time people instead of trying to retrain workers every year or 2 to do the job. I left because I was an intern and there was no budget for another full time worker.
    Idea: In order to build in some continuity, is there a Ruston area audio/visual store/company, or an A/V production company that could run the controls of the video board during games? I'm thinking someone from there could be the techie/geek to work the controls and maybe have someone from Tech working as "director", sort of steering the content. The local Ruston company could do some sort of trade on on advertising with Tech, even run a 15/20 second spot on their company in exchange for providing their expertise with the board controls.

As for music, I think the Dawgs should enter the field of play with the theme from "Remember The Titans" playing. If that does not make you want to level every opponent in front of you, I don't know what will. Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkAeSl3CXfs

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    Idea: In order to build in some continuity, is there a Ruston area audio/visual store/company, or an A/V production company that could run the controls of the video board during games? I'm thinking someone from there could be the techie/geek to work the controls and maybe have someone from Tech working as "director", sort of steering the content. The local Ruston company could do some sort of trade on on advertising with Tech, even run a 15/20 second spot on their company in exchange for providing their expertise with the board controls.

As for music, I think the Dawgs should enter the field of play with the theme from "Remember The Titans" playing. If that does not make you want to level every opponent in front of you, I don't know what will. Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkAeSl3CXfs
    It's time for a replacement by Learfield. Who negotiates on Tech's behalf with Learfield? Well there ya go...

Part of the game day experience is having a professional presentation of REPLAYS, advertising, music, and entertainment on the video board. Who is responsible for making this happen? Well there ya go...

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by rama jama View Post

as for music, i think the dawgs should enter the field of play with the theme from "remember the titans" playing. If that does not make you want to level every opponent in front of you, i don't know what will. here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkaesl3cxfs
    nope nope nope.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    The Ruston/Local A/V company did not get the Tech video board bid.

Daktronics did.

The Ruston/Local A/V company, very qualified, got the bid for the audio part of the video board. Same for the TAC setup.

The Daktronics quality is hard to argue about. Other than that, yes, the lights are dimming with age. However, when it comes to local support, yes, a local phone call can help quicker than a long distance call.

Caveat--> One of the principles of the Ruston/Local A/V company is a personal friend and very, very helpful.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

The TAC sound system is great. The videoboard sound is not good. Time to place speakers throughout the stadium than trying to push all the sound from one location (which is why it sounds distorted at times).

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

The TAC sound system is great. The videoboard sound is not good. Time to place speakers throughout the stadium than trying to push all the sound from one location (which is why it sounds distorted at times).
    I attend a Cal game every year and their sound system has speakers circling the stadium nearly creating a surround sound feeling. They have a video board at each end of the stadium, both are barely adequate but small. The California architectural goons won't allow larger screens because it would interfere with the design and architectural features of the stadium.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    I attend a Cal game every year and their sound system has speakers circling the stadium nearly creating a surround sound feeling. They have a video board at each end of the stadium, both are barely adequate but small. The California architectural goons won't allow larger screens because it would interfere with the design and architectural features of the stadium.
    Yup, i watched a YouTube video on it about Cal's new sound system. A lot of other stadiums are doing the same. They place them around the venue on light poles, stadium overhang, etc. The sound is a lot cleaner.

It would cost money, but our current set up does not sound good.

Yup, i watched a YouTube video on it about Cal's new sound system. A lot of other stadiums are doing the same. They place them around the venue on light poles, stadium overhang, etc. The sound is a lot cleaner.

It would cost money, but our current set up does not sound good.
    They should put these up when they are putting the speakers up. This is how you keep the students in the stadium...

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/soluti...dium-wifi.html

Utah in 2016 replaced their 12 year old videoboard and updated their sound. Pretty nice set up.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y4S4ibVKOt8

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    They should put these up when they are putting the speakers up. This is how you keep the students in the stadium...

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/soluti...dium-wifi.html
    Fans not only benefit, but our game day operation like Point of Sale, ticket scanner, communication, etc would be better.

Fans not only benefit, but our game day operation like Point of Sale, ticket scanner, communication, etc would be better.
    Extremely easy fix to find a sponsor/sponsors to pay for this. Just another screw up by a guy who is in over his head.

Big Dog Rama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant future Rama Jama's Avatar

Utah in 2016 replaced their 12 year old videoboard and updated their sound. Pretty nice set up.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y4S4ibVKOt8
    That's really impressive, especially the surround sound within the stadium. And the $13.5M cost was paid for by ticket sales. Even better.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Extremely easy fix to find a sponsor/sponsors to pay for this. Just another screw up by a guy who is in over his head.
    Much easier to fix than a new board. I could forgive much of the video FUBAR if the rest of the experience were up-to-date. Fix the easy stuff while you prepare to fix the hard stuff.

+ Reply to Thread