+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SB Nation Ranks All 130 FBS Schools for 2018

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: SB Nation Ranks All 130 FBS Schools for 2018

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    It's helpful to remember that it's meant to be predictive and it's a formula based on certain things that he's determined are most predictive. So actual wins and losses don't factor at all, which makes it less useful as a "ranking" per se. It's very much not a "who's most deserving" list. In theory (not in practice) you could be 0-12 (not very deserving) but the formula could say you were better than a 12-0 team who won every game by getting lucky turnovers late (SOS would be a factor too). That doesn't really happen, but it's why the records don't always match the ratings.
    I also really like multiple rankings, because together they form a more coherent picture. Like the Massey Composite.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    We've had different experiences. I'm a fan. Longtime listener to his podcast, too.

He loves Willie Fritz, for one thing. I think his countdown write-ups have been really informative (for Tech and everyone else).

And the SP+ ranking is a formula, it's not like he's doing his rankings the way an AP voter would. I think you can disagree with the results or the factors that make up the formula, but it's all objective. And I think it does ok (probably better than a human could) from a predictive standpoint.
    I was the one that wanted us to interview Willie Fritz for HC before we latched onto Skip. He had a pretty good run with smaller universities before the Tulane job.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    I was the one that wanted us to interview Willie Fritz for HC before we latched onto Skip. He had a pretty good run with smaller universities before the Tulane job.
    Air Raid to an Option attack (even a Pistol-Spread Option) would have been a big shift.

But I agree that he seems to be a good coach.

Big Dog RGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    Bill Connelly, the "journalist" who wrote the article and created S&P+, is a gimpy troll. He hates Louisiana schools. I've never read anything positive written by him regarding Louisiana.
    Haven't you heard the saying that they all live by up there?

"Arkansas sucks! Which is the only thing that keeps Louisiana from slipping to into the Gulf of Mexico."

Their only enjoyment is being better than Louisiana in something, or anything (at least in their own mind)...

Big Dog SundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to behold SundayJam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I wonder if a team ranked this low (#95) has ever gone bowling before?
    I tell you, Hawaii never gets any respect. It's why we created the Hawaii Bowl in the first place. We're ranked below ULM and Old Dominion. C'mon, MAN!!!! Well...I guess you guys are gonna win. Congratulations.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by SundayJam View Post
    I tell you, Hawaii never gets any respect. It's why we created the Hawaii Bowl in the first place. We're ranked below ULM and Old Dominion. C'mon, MAN!!!! Well...I guess you guys are gonna win. Congratulations.
    I assume you're better than 2-9 (oh wait, 3-9) WKU, so I'm not so confident

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back! Long time no see.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

.....I was referring to Louisiana Tech being ranked #95...

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Sunday Jam reminds me, boy there used to be a lot of smack talk here on the board. That seems to dwindled away after leaving the WAC, heck even OOC foes came on joined in, remember Super Purple Cat, that was always a lot of fun. There is just not a lot of that on CUSA, mostly we all complain about how bad our teams are.

Sunday Jam, how about the MWC, do the teams there get a lot of talk going back and forth like we did in the WAC?

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

I remember when we were in the WAC and begging to be in CUSA. We didn't know what we had until it was gone.

Big Dog SundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to behold SundayJam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BhadDawg View Post
    Sunday Jam reminds me, boy there used to be a lot of smack talk here on the board. That seems to dwindled away after leaving the WAC, heck even OOC foes came on joined in, remember Super Purple Cat, that was always a lot of fun. There is just not a lot of that on CUSA, mostly we all complain about how bad our teams are.

Sunday Jam, how about the MWC, do the teams there get a lot of talk going back and forth like we did in the WAC?
    IDK, I only ever bantered with the likes of BB&B. Your smack is just hilarious. Shoot, you guys had me married to Dawg the Bounty Hunter's wife on one thread. I miss the WAC. The tie in with ESPN was terrific. I could watch a lot more games that way and be much more up-to[-date on our opponents.

Our coach has been around the other MWC coaches for some time now so we have a pretty good rapport with most of the opposition. I'm a member of the SportsHawaii forum and they're all fairly mello and informed. I'm sure there must be some boards that get into it pretty good with the opposition.

Personally, I'm happy with this match up. We're full of inexperienced starters running new schemes on both offense and defense. The question is: will we show up with experienced players for the bowl? I liked what I saw in the final game against a formidable nemesis in San Diego State. I know La Tech will always be up for a game with Hawaii. If memory serves me correctly you always played us tight even when you lost.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Your memory is fading...or has faded, Jam. Tech is 0-5 on the Island, the closest game was in 2004, 34-23. Some were blowouts. UH leads the all-time series 8-2, and it will most likely be 9-2 before the end of this calendar year.

Skip Holtz can't get out of his own way, and because of that, our talented teams under-achieve. Tech routinely puts players into the NFL, way more than most G5s, and more than many, many P5s. Holtz has done well, thus far, in 4 bowl games he has coached here. But this is not really a "bowl" game, it is a road game.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    I remember when we were in the WAC and begging to be in CUSA. We didn't know what we had until it was gone.
    That was a different CUSA - SMU, Tulane, Houston, etc

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    That was a different CUSA - SMU, Tulane, Houston, etc
    Don't forget UTEP and Rice.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Don't forget UTEP and Rice.
    Here is the C-USA we wanted to be a part of

This would have been better (being in it from the beginning).
    Football:

Non-Football:
    DePaul
    Marquette
    Saint Louis
    Charlotte

+ Reply to Thread