+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Should Ferguson Play?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: Should Ferguson Play?

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    The local tourism boards and chambers of commerce who work all year long to host a bowl game dont do it so ESPN can have cheap programming. Nor do they do it to promote some liberal snowflake trophy agenda.
    Yep. About a third of bowls are run the the local tourism bureaus to fill hotel rooms during a slow time of the year. About another third are owned and operated by ESPN for cheap live TV programming. And about the oldest third are run by private foundations. All three types of bowls have different goals.

Independence Bowl -- private foundation
    Poinsettia Bowl -- tourism bureau
    Heart of Dallas Bowl -- ESPN
    New Orleans Bowl -- tourism bureau
    Armed Forces Bowl -- ESPN
    Frisco Bowl -- ESPN
    Hawaii Bowl -- ESPN

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Yep. About a third of bowls are run the the local tourism bureaus to fill hotel rooms during a slow time of the year. About another third are owned and operated by ESPN for cheap live TV programming. And about the oldest third are run by private foundations. All three types of bowls have different goals.

Independence Bowl -- private foundation
    Poinsettia Bowl -- tourism bureau
    Heart of Dallas Bowl -- ESPN
    New Orleans Bowl -- tourism bureau
    Armed Forces Bowl -- ESPN
    Frisco Bowl -- ESPN
    Hawaii Bowl -- ESPN
    A list of bowls Tech played in? If so, you missed the Boazy Human Bowl.

….although given the final score, I can see where you might have purposely left it out.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    A list of bowls Tech played in? If so, you missed the Boazy Human Bowl.

….although given the final score, I can see where you might have purposely left it out.
    I left it off because the Potato Bowl is an ESPN bowl now, but I doubt it was back then. Honestly don't know who was behind the bowl in 2001.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    The local tourism boards and chambers of commerce who work all year long to host a bowl game dont do it so ESPN can have cheap programming. Nor do they do it to promote some liberal snowflake trophy agenda.
    I agree it does help with some additional local tourism, perhaps very beneficial in some locales. But it is naive to think that cheap, live programming for ESPN isn't a giant motivating factor in the number of games played.

Let me ask, do you think it is possible some programs (coaches, AD's, boosters & administrations) might be content to win 6-7 games and play in whatever bowl comes calling? Where if there were not so many bowl games a greater emphasis on winning every game possible might occur? I think it is very possible some programs might just be contect to win six games and go play a bowl game.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    I left it off because the Potato Bowl is an ESPN bowl now, but I doubt it was back then. Honestly don't know who was behind the bowl in 2001.
    We had to find a location that had the sat feed. I don't think it was an ESPN station. We ( in West Monroe) went to Logans to watch.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    In 1980 there were 15 bowl games. By 1990 the number was up to 19 games. This year I think there are 40 bowl games. Today's standard to make a game is a joke. Have a 6-6 record and you are almost assured of making a bowl. Sure this system makes the liberal, snowflakes happy as everyone gets a trophy. But you get some really unappealing games and are awarding "historically speaking" undeserving teams. Not too mention many of the best players skip the games because to them and their schools the games are indeed no truly meaningless. Also give notice to how many people are in the stands at some of these games, not the announced attendance, but actual people in stands. A lot of these kids played before bigger crowds during high school then they will at their bowl game!

Make no mistake bowl games are not played for the hell of it. Bowl games are played to provide cheap, live programming for the ESPN networks. By the way 3 or 4 teams who won 6 games did not go bowling this year so there will be new bowl games pop up to accommodate them and to keep the trophy for everyone snowflakes happy.
    I have a solution for you.

You get Lifetime in your tv?

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    We had to find a location that had the sat feed. I don't think it was an ESPN station. We ( in West Monroe) went to Logans to watch.
    It was definitely televised by ESPN. Upon further investigation, ESPN purchased the bowl from Humanitarian Bowl, Inc. in 2013. Looks like the Humanitarian Bowl had similar beginnings to the Independence Bowl. It was created so that the Big West could have a bowl game to send its champion to.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Saw the game live. Left early and drove up the mountain to ski with my family. Game sucked but the week was great.

+ Reply to Thread