+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AAC media rights

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Conf American AAC media rights

American Athletic considers grant-of-rights for schools to sweeten next media rights deal

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...leges/AAC.aspx
    Last edited by Dawg06; 12-11-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: AAC media rights

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    American Athletic considers grant-of-rights for schools to sweeten next media rights deal

I sure wish LA Tech could get out of CUSA and join the AAC. We're perfectly situated geographically, and of course 4 of our old WAC/CUSA conference mates are already there (Tulsa, SMU, Tulane & ECU). Unfortunately, I not aware of any plan or long term strategy that our leadership is pursuing to achieve such a goal. Our leadership just seems happy to be in CUSA.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute tenacious_dog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I sure wish LA Tech could get out of CUSA and join the AAC. We're perfectly situated geographically, and of course 4 of our old WAC/CUSA conference mates are already there (Tulsa, SMU, Tulane & ECU). Unfortunately, I not aware of any plan or long term strategy that our leadership is pursuing to achieve such a goal. Our leadership just seems happy to be in CUSA.
    It would the BEST situation that might have a chance of happening. I hope the powers realize they need to be working on this now with a continuing protracted effort.

Champ tigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to beholdtigtoo30 is a splendid one to behold tigtoo30's Avatar

I think our biggest hurdles are USM and Marshall. It would have to be a BIG realignment to get there.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tigtoo30 View Post
    I think our biggest hurdles are USM and Marshall. It would have to be a BIG realignment to get there.
    USM has really poor leadership right now, and is not a real threat. However, it doesn't help our cause when USM's obviously inferior football teams beat us 4 years in a row. That's on Skip Holtz.

Marshall probably has one of the inside tracks to the AAC.

Probably the first CUSA team the AAC will admit will be newbie ODU. The Monarchs have a great location, great academics and a huge athletic budget. I suspect ODU will be invited to join the AAC within the next 5 years.

LA Tech's best shot will come when the AAC needs to add someone in the west. Preferably two or more adds at one time. For example, two adds may include ODU in the east, and LA Tech in the west. Or 4 adds might include ODU & Marshall in the east, along with LA Tech and USM in the west.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post

The story has a lot of holes in it, to say the least. The Big 12 Grant of Rights expire on June 30, 2025. I don't think any of the AAC schools is going to sign a Grant of Rights deal that goes past the 2024-25 academic year for that reason alone.

Realignment may not happen at all if FAANG gets involved. Why would any of the Power 5 leagues make any changes/expand if each has a corporate partner that rains down outrageous amounts of cash into the situation and doesn't push for expanded content?

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I think there is a better understanding of the situation today than when we received the CUSA invitation in 2012.

The question of future AAC membership came up in the days and weeks following that announcement. There were individuals within our athletic department and on the Athletics Council answering that question by saying "why would we want to be in a conference with schools who have athletic budgets that are as much as triple our own"? That statement was made on campus time and time again. It was obvious that's the picture they wanted to paint at the time.

It was a combination of the old Ruston problem that's always present. "As long as we're ahead of ULM everything is ok" along with the real fact that most of the leadership on campus has no business experience. Very few on campus understand that realignment is a business situation in which Tech is either going to keep moving forward or die on the vine. They can't see what all this could look like 20 years from now.

As I said I think there is a better understanding today under Guice. But does Guice even understand what needs to be done to just keep us where we are now? I'm just not sure of the answer to that.

+ Reply to Thread