+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott to Join Eagles?

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Re: Scott to Join Eagles?

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    it hurts to get beat down as bad as you have doesn't it? Hey dumb ass defend your weak position instead of insulting true Tech fans!
    Beat down? Weak position? Lol!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    Beat down? Weak position? Lol!
    you are defending losing home games against bad teams...lol

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

No, haven’t defended any home losses. We definitely have problems with our football program... Firing everyone except Rattay probably isn’t a solution.

you are defending losing home games against bad teams...lol
    We lost games for multiple reasons. You blame Holtz and J’mar for all of it. We have an OC and QB coach, according to you they are just warm bodies making 350 k or better between both of them. I’d like to apply for those positions, good money and zero responsibility.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    He is dead to me now....
    Me too...ANYBODY but the Eagles. Or Redskins...oh yeah, and the Giants.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

insulting true Tech fans!
    Who would do such a thing!

Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    PawDawg for next HC,OC, or any other coaching position open. He has all the answers, it’s all instinct. It absolutely doesn’t matter how a player performs in practice. La Tech would be undefeated if they would listen to PawDawg.
    Hmm.....you don't know that that's not actually true. Skip coaches football today because its all he's ever known. PD on the other hand, is a man of many, diversified, talents. We've seen a lot of poor coaches in college football that many of us could "out coach".

Frankly, based on what I saw the last 4 games of this season, I like PD's chances to win in Hawaii much better than Skip's. However, if you want to see us really embarrass Hawaii, we'll send in D80.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Hmm.....you don't know that that's not actually true. Skip coaches football today because its all he's ever known. PD on the other hand, is a man of many, diversified, talents. We've seen a lot of poor coaches in college football that many of us could "out coach".
    This is funny to me. Coaching is one of the few professions (as well as teacher, being a journalist and refereeing -- I seem to have an attraction to these types of jobs) where everybody thinks they can do regardless of their education or experience. I was guilty of this at one time. It's easy to say I could coach better than so and so, but the fact of the matter is if you ask the average college football fan to draw up a single play to beat a 4-2-5 Man Free scheme, they simply can't do it. If you ask someone to draw up a man defense and a zone defense to line up against a trips formation, they simply can't do it. And that's one play, not taking into account calling play after play in a stressful game-day environment. I've been fortunate to be around some really smart minds at the high school level. I've learned a lot, and learned how much I didn't know. I still don't know everything, but I'm much more educated today than I was three years ago, when I was ignorant. There are some coaches who have a job at the college level who aren't great at the X's and O's but are fabulous recruiters, but the fact of the matter is it's extremely difficult to become a head coach in college football and not know a whole lot more football than fans do.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Yet out of the really die hard posters on here, we have several people who played, coached, administrated programs, etc. at various levels and most of us agree that what's going on from the athletic admin down to some of the coaching is anywhere from bad decision making to flat out poor job performance. There are some that don't see it that way and that is their right, but that group has gotten smaller the longer we keep the AD/HC duo we have right now.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    This is funny to me. Coaching is one of the few professions (as well as teacher, being a journalist and refereeing -- I seem to have an attraction to these types of jobs) where everybody thinks they can do regardless of their education or experience. I was guilty of this at one time. It's easy to say I could coach better than so and so, but the fact of the matter is if you ask the average college football fan to draw up a single play to beat a 4-2-5 Man Free scheme, they simply can't do it. If you ask someone to draw up a man defense and a zone defense to line up against a trips formation, they simply can't do it. And that's one play, not taking into account calling play after play in a stressful game-day environment. I've been fortunate to be around some really smart minds at the high school level. I've learned a lot, and learned how much I didn't know. I still don't know everything, but I'm much more educated today than I was three years ago, when I was ignorant. There are some coaches who have a job at the college level who aren't great at the X's and O's but are fabulous recruiters, but the fact of the matter is it's extremely difficult to become a head coach in college football and not know a whole lot more football than fans do.
    Coaching is not difficult. Most people don't pursue coaching simply because they don't want to starve to death for the first 15 to 20 years of their career. This is EXACTLY the reason I didn't pursue a career in Journalism. It doesn't mean those people are too stupid, or afraid to coach the game.

For the most part, coaching is just like any other profession....it's an acquired skill. Some of these events you cite in your post are certainly substantiated proof of that. As you stated, you learned a lot in the last 3 years. The difference is, most of us didn't practice law in the 7th grade, or put braces on kids teeth in middle school. BUT....many of us DID play football in middle school, high school, college, etc ...and most of us have been exposed to football on at least a weekly basis (in some form) ever since. Furthermore, today's technology has given us more opportunities to study the game, witness good and bad football --as well as football coaching-- at the mere push of a button. We know more about football coaching today than we do about being a dentist or a lawyer, etc...because its exciting, and it's more available to us on a daily basis. Say what you will, but the coaching profession gets a lot of exposure.

As a legacy football coach, Skip Holtz never had to worry about starving to death. He didn't pay the same dues you described in your post above. He never had to teach 7th grade history classes or a 9th grade Civics class while simultaneously serving 5 to 10 years as a 35K per year assistant football coach at a Class A school in Podunk, La. Skip just didn't have to pay the same dues that the son of a barber, or a factory worker or a small town business owner would have had to pay to start a football coaching career. To the contrary, Skip started out on top, and has always been on top. Pardon the pun, but he got to "skip" the hard stuff. Sklp went to Notre Dame, because his father coached there. He started his coaching career at the college level (very unusual), and has always been there. In fact, as far as I know, Skip never coached a down off high school football. He mostly worked for his father off and on, and was able to capitalize on many of his fathers contacts over the years to get good jobs at schools like Notre Dame, Florida St, South Carolina, etc...

Perhaps Skip would be a better coach today, if he had started where you did.

To be clear, I don't begrudge Skip for being born on 3rd base. But let's don't ever forget that he didn't get there the same way most, including his daddy, did. As I stated in my previous post, it's all he's ever known. But it doesn't mean he's the messiah of coaching. His teams weren't prepared for at least the last 4 games of this season.

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Good post HogDawg!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Coaching? I'll tell ya about coaching! Like:

*sweeping the bus out, topping off the tank...all at midnight in sub-30 degree temps, just so that bus would be ready for its normal run in the morning.

*mowing the field, under the lights, with a push-mower because the tractor was in the shop.

*throwing $30 on the counter at a Burger King just so a few of your players could eat after a game.

*supplying medical and other supplies for your kids, because the AD failed to include your program in his budget...oops!

* so on, and so forth....

But, I loved my kids(players), so it was all worth it.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Coaching is not difficult. Most people don't pursue coaching simply because they don't want to starve to death for the first 15 to 20 years of their career. This is EXACTLY the reason I didn't pursue a career in Journalism. It doesn't mean those people are too stupid, or afraid to coach the game.

For the most part, coaching is just like any other profession....it's an acquired skill. Some of these events you cite in your post are certainly substantiated proof of that. As you stated, you learned a lot in the last 3 years. The difference is, most of us didn't practice law in the 7th grade, or put braces on kids teeth in middle school. BUT....many of us DID play football in middle school, high school, college, etc ...and most of us have been exposed to football on at least a weekly basis (in some form) ever since. Furthermore, today's technology has given us more opportunities to study the game, witness good and bad football --as well as football coaching-- at the mere push of a button. We know more about football coaching today than we do about being a dentist or a lawyer, etc...because its exciting, and it's more available to us on a daily basis. Say what you will, but the coaching profession gets a lot of exposure.

As a legacy football coach, Skip Holtz never had to worry about starving to death. He didn't pay the same dues you described in your post above. He never had to teach 7th grade history classes or a 9th grade Civics class while simultaneously serving 5 to 10 years as a 35K per year assistant football coach at a Class A school in Podunk, La. Skip just didn't have to pay the same dues that the son of a barber, or a factory worker or a small town business owner would have had to pay to start a football coaching career. To the contrary, Skip started out on top, and has always been on top. Pardon the pun, but he got to "skip" the hard stuff. Sklp went to Notre Dame, because his father coached there. He started his coaching career at the college level (very unusual), and has always been there. In fact, as far as I know, Skip never coached a down off high school football. He mostly worked for his father off and on, and was able to capitalize on many of his fathers contacts over the years to get good jobs at schools like Notre Dame, Florida St, South Carolina, etc...

Perhaps Skip would be a better coach today, if he had started where you did.

To be clear, I don't begrudge Skip for being born on 3rd base. But let's don't ever forget that he didn't get there the same way most, including his daddy, did. As I stated in my previous post, it's all he's ever known. But it doesn't mean he's the messiah of coaching. His teams weren't prepared for at least the last 4 games of this season.
    You actually believe that just because Skip Holtz had a leg up on the competition, he didn't have to pay his dues? He was a GA for two years. He was a position coach for three years. Yes, he got an early shot at being an OC most likely because of who his father is, but it wasn't like he walked out of the college classroom into a role as an offensive coordinator. He has spent 13 years of his career as a college assistant. Everybody who gets to the position he's in has to earn that position. Yes, he had more advantages than the average college coach, but he's won everywhere he's been except for South Florida.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Coaching? I'll tell ya about coaching! Like:

*sweeping the bus out, topping off the tank...all at midnight in sub-30 degree temps, just so that bus would be ready for its normal run in the morning.

*mowing the field, under the lights, with a push-mower because the tractor was in the shop.

*throwing $30 on the counter at a Burger King just so a few of your players could eat after a game.

*supplying medical and other supplies for your kids, because the AD failed to include your program in his budget...oops!

* so on, and so forth....

But, I loved my kids(players), so it was all worth it.
    You also forgot painting the field till mid-night the day before the game (every home game)....

Spreading (15) fifteen 8yd dump trucks of sand over the field in 90+ degree heat at night with just little help from a few boosters that have the equipment to not make it a wheelbarrow job (every year)

Cleaning the concession stands

Cleaning the bathrooms

Doing laundry till 2 am and then breaking down game film so you can meet with your kids at 10:00 am the next morning

Having to call big Johnny into your office and tell him that his grandmother died of a heart attack and we have to go FIND your mom

Letting big Johnny sleep on your couch after for a month after his grandmother died of a heart attack and his mom went on a bad bender and trashed where you live

Being at the hospital with Marcus till the next morning after Marcus blew his knee or shoulder out because you are the closest thing that Marcus has to a father in this world

That's just a few things

This is what REAL coaches do - and they are not making $100k a year plus and being supplemented by a booster club and provided a vehicle and country club membership
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    You actually believe that just because Skip Holtz had a leg up on the competition, he didn't have to pay his dues? He was a GA for two years. He was a position coach for three years. Yes, he got an early shot at being an OC most likely because of who his father is, but it wasn't like he walked out of the college classroom into a role as an offensive coordinator. He has spent 13 years of his career as a college assistant. Everybody who gets to the position he's in has to earn that position. Yes, he had more advantages than the average college coach, but he's won everywhere he's been except for South Florida.
    He was Lou's son - he had a silver ticket into the coaching fraternity that very few are lucky enough to have

He was ran off at Notre Dame while on Lou's staff, he was FIRED from South Carolina while on Lou's staff and Lou was basically asked to move on because he insisted Skip be named coach in waiting
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

+ Reply to Thread