+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: HC speaks on QB1 Performance

Big Dog Rama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant future Rama Jama's Avatar

Article: HC speaks on QB1 Performance

Here is a recent article of HC speaking about QB1. Link: https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sp...th/2326539002/

Content:

Louisiana Tech head football coach Skip Holtz discusses quarterback play and the offense's lack of efficiency. Cory Diaz, bdiaz@thenewsstar.com

Buy Photo

(Photo: Nicolas Galindo/The News-Star)

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

RUSTON – The confidence Skip Holtz has in J’Mar Smith hasn’t diminished, but with the opportunity Louisiana Tech has in winning its program-record fifth straight bowl game, the head coach needs to see more out of the quarterback.
    Defeating Hawaii, the home team, in the Hawaii Bowl next Saturday is going to take a total team effort and that means, when the Tech offense has the ball, Smith and the passing game will have to find the proper level of efficiency and execution. It’s the “elephant in the room” but Holtz knows the offense didn’t close out the regular season how it must run to beat the Rainbow Warriors.
    “When you watch him do it out here on the practice field, I have confidence in J’Mar,” Holtz said after the team’s practice inside Joe Aillet Stadium Saturday afternoon. “It’s not so much doing it in practice, it’s the consistency on gameday. Out here, he’s throwing the ball very accurately, throwing it down the field. Now, when everything breaks down, put a line in front of him, he can’t set his feet, it’s a little bit of a different story.
    MORE | Season's end pushes LA Tech in Hawaii Bowl prep
    “That’s why it’s hard to put all of it just on a throw. We got to create clean pockets for the quarterback, be able to read defenses and we got to be able to throw the ball accurately. Do I have confidence in him to do it? I do because I’ve seen him do it. We have not done it going down the stretch. We all got to take a look at what we need to do better to do that.”
    With a full season starting under his belt coming in, Holtz said expected to see a jump in production from Smith at quarterback in 2018. As it stands, the redshirt junior quarterback’s numbers this year are nearly identical to his year starting, his completion percentage up from 56 to 56.9 percent, while touchdown passes are down 16 to 14 and interceptions are up from five in 2017 to nine this season.
    Smith threw for 2,974 yards last year and currently has 2,875 yards on 21 more pass attempts this year. He threw for 562 yards in Louisiana Tech’s final two regular season games, but Holtz cited several missed big-play opportunities and the offense didn’t execute efficiently in the back-to-back defeats as the team stumbled to a 7-5 record.
    “When you look at the last couple of weeks of the season, we have not executed at a very high level to put up the points. We’ve been scoring a lot the last couple of years, it doesn’t happen by accident. You’ve got to go out, execute and we haven’t done that as well as we need to,” Holtz said. “Everybody understands the elephant in the room in that you can’t win this game just on defense, it’s takes a total team effort.”
    Holtz and his offensive staff navigated the season and afforded both backup junior quarterback Westin Elliott and freshman Aaron Allen another year of eligibility, appearing in one and two games, respectively, and both short of the four-game limit with the new redshirt rule.
    MORE | LA Tech accepts invitation to Hawaii Bowl
    When asked if he would hesitate to play Elliott or Allen if the inconsistencies continue during the Hawaii Bowl, Holtz said he would take the necessary steps to put the Bulldogs in the best chance to win.
    “It’s going to be predicated on the production and where we are. It’s something – it’s the elephant in the room – we haven’t been as productive as we need to be. I think part of it as an offensive unit can be put on the quarterback, part of it can be put on offensive line, the coaches, the receivers,” Holtz said.
    “We’re going to try and put the people out there that give us the best chance to be an explosive offense and put points up. I’ve said this all along, J’Mar has incredible knowledge of this offense, has done a really good job of protecting the ball, but we got to be more efficient in our passing game, especially in balls downfield. If that means we have to play another quarterback to do that, then we’ll do that.”
    Follow Cory Diaz on Twitter @CoryDiaz_TNS and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/CoryDiazTNS/

Varsity Bulldog aggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud of aggiedawg's Avatar

Re: Article: HC speaks on QB1 Performance

"Elephant in the room" gives the impression that something is obvious, but no one wants to talk about. The fans have been very vocal. On social media, amongst friends, and most notably at the games. Why hasn't something been done to kill the elephant?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    Here is a recent article of HC speaking about QB1. Link: https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sp...th/2326539002/

Content:

Louisiana Tech head football coach Skip Holtz discusses quarterback play and the offense's lack of efficiency. Cory Diaz, bdiaz@thenewsstar.com

Buy Photo

(Photo: Nicolas Galindo/The News-Star)

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

RUSTON – The confidence Skip Holtz has in J’Mar Smith hasn’t diminished, but with the opportunity Louisiana Tech has in winning its program-record fifth straight bowl game, the head coach needs to see more out of the quarterback.
    Defeating Hawaii, the home team, in the Hawaii Bowl next Saturday is going to take a total team effort and that means, when the Tech offense has the ball, Smith and the passing game will have to find the proper level of efficiency and execution. It’s the “elephant in the room” but Holtz knows the offense didn’t close out the regular season how it must run to beat the Rainbow Warriors.
    “When you watch him do it out here on the practice field, I have confidence in J’Mar,” Holtz said after the team’s practice inside Joe Aillet Stadium Saturday afternoon. “It’s not so much doing it in practice, it’s the consistency on gameday. Out here, he’s throwing the ball very accurately, throwing it down the field. Now, when everything breaks down, put a line in front of him, he can’t set his feet, it’s a little bit of a different story.
    MORE | Season's end pushes LA Tech in Hawaii Bowl prep
    “That’s why it’s hard to put all of it just on a throw. We got to create clean pockets for the quarterback, be able to read defenses and we got to be able to throw the ball accurately. Do I have confidence in him to do it? I do because I’ve seen him do it. We have not done it going down the stretch. We all got to take a look at what we need to do better to do that.”
    With a full season starting under his belt coming in, Holtz said expected to see a jump in production from Smith at quarterback in 2018. As it stands, the redshirt junior quarterback’s numbers this year are nearly identical to his year starting, his completion percentage up from 56 to 56.9 percent, while touchdown passes are down 16 to 14 and interceptions are up from five in 2017 to nine this season.
    Smith threw for 2,974 yards last year and currently has 2,875 yards on 21 more pass attempts this year. He threw for 562 yards in Louisiana Tech’s final two regular season games, but Holtz cited several missed big-play opportunities and the offense didn’t execute efficiently in the back-to-back defeats as the team stumbled to a 7-5 record.

“When you look at the last couple of weeks of the season, we have not executed at a very high level to put up the points. We’ve been scoring a lot the last couple of years, it doesn’t happen by accident. You’ve got to go out, execute and we haven’t done that as well as we need to,” Holtz said. “Everybody understands the elephant in the room in that you can’t win this game just on defense, it’s takes a total team effort.”
    Holtz and his offensive staff navigated the season and afforded both backup junior quarterback Westin Elliott and freshman Aaron Allen another year of eligibility, appearing in one and two games, respectively, and both short of the four-game limit with the new redshirt rule.
    MORE | LA Tech accepts invitation to Hawaii Bowl

When asked if he would hesitate to play Elliott or Allen if the inconsistencies continue during the Hawaii Bowl, Holtz said he would take the necessary steps to put the Bulldogs in the best chance to win.

“It’s going to be predicated on the production and where we are. It’s something – it’s the elephant in the room – we haven’t been as productive as we need to be. I think part of it as an offensive unit can be put on the quarterback, part of it can be put on offensive line, the coaches, the receivers,” Holtz said.
    “We’re going to try and put the people out there that give us the best chance to be an explosive offense and put points up. I’ve said this all along, J’Mar has incredible knowledge of this offense, has done a really good job of protecting the ball, but we got to be more efficient in our passing game, especially in balls downfield. If that means we have to play another quarterback to do that, then we’ll do that.”
    Follow Cory Diaz on Twitter @CoryDiaz_TNS and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/CoryDiazTNS/
    This story tells me Skip is finally feeling the heat from somebody at LA Tech.

In this article, Holtz makes two separate references to an "elephant in the room", which is absurd. Many of our fans have already quit coming to JAS, and vowed not to return until J'Mar is gone. Where has Holtz been hiding? Is he the last to know? Is he implying he had no idea J'Mar sucked at QB until the last 2 games (which he references)? LOL!

The only good thing to come from this article is in the very last sentence. Holtz finally acknowledges that if he needs to play another QB to make our passing game more efficient, he'll do it. That sounds like a alcoholic finally admitting he has a problem.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    This story tells me Skip is finally feeling the heat from somebody at LA Tech.

In this article, Holtz makes two separate references to an "elephant in the room", which is absurd. Many of our fans have already quit coming to JAS, and vowed not to return until J'Mar is gone. Where has Holtz been hiding? Is he the last to know? Is he implying he had no idea J'Mar sucked at QB until the last 2 games (which he references)? LOL!

The only good thing to come from this article is in the very last sentence. Holtz finally acknowledges that if he needs to play another QB to make our passing game more efficient, he'll do it. That sounds like a alcoholic finally admitting he has a problem.
    What's absurd is he was talking to a reporter and that the QB situation has been an elephant in the room between the press and skip all season. Totally ridiculous that that article was run for the first time after game 12 - just now being publicly discussed. Unbelievable.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

At first I stopped listening to his BS on the radio and anytime he was interviewed because he was so bogus whenever he was spoke to the media. Now I don't even read articles that include his interviews. It's quite obvious he does not want to speak to the fans. He wants to speak to his peers.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    What's absurd is he was talking to a reporter.
    This is false. Diaz wrote that article.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    This is false. Diaz wrote that article.
    Alleged

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Alleged
    Ill allow it

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

I’m having a really hard time believing that Holtz will actually sideline J’Mar IF things don’t go well for the offense. By not going well I think he means done by 21 points at which point what does it matter who’s in at QB. Holtz has a tendency to always react slowly to the tide in the game. While the other coach dictates what’s happening on the field Holtz is the one trying to react. I’d be very surprised that any second QB would go into the game until well after the game is already lost.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

The elephant is in the mirror when Skippy gets up in the morning...

Big Dog b00mer1 is a glorious beacon of lightb00mer1 is a glorious beacon of lightb00mer1 is a glorious beacon of lightb00mer1 is a glorious beacon of lightb00mer1 is a glorious beacon of lightb00mer1 is a glorious beacon of lightb00mer1 is a glorious beacon of lightb00mer1 is a glorious beacon of lightb00mer1 is a glorious beacon of lightb00mer1 is a glorious beacon of lightb00mer1 is a glorious beacon of light

Elephant(s) in the room. Interesting comment. Is he talking about Jmar? Himself? Our horrible AD? Holtz gets a 300k+ bonus for a bowl win so I think he wants to win this game. I just hope our players want it as bad as our losers up top. I love whatching my Dawgs and I’ve seen coaches/horrible ads come and go so with that, can’t wait to see my Dawgs play!

I’ll have to take a nap before the game, 9:30???

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

The elephant in the room is that the offense is costing them wins. The defense and special teams are good. A coach doesn't want to divide the team (offense vs defense), but they all know what the problem is. Then he goes on to blame everyone for the offensive problems, not just J'Mar.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    The elephant in the room is that the offense is costing them wins. The defense and special teams are good. A coach doesn't want to divide the team (offense vs defense), but they all know what the problem is. Then he goes on to blame everyone for the offensive problems, not just J'Mar.
    Special teams good? Maybe better, but still bad.

Punting has been inconsistent at best and has hurt us in several games. We act like 30 something yard punt from our own territory is good. Kicking team has been better this year. Kick receiving has been as bad as ever. We still don't know about the new fair catch rule. Punt receiving has been the "fair catch team". We've left tons of yards on the field due to our HC insisting on "always fair catch the ball". FG and xtra point team has performed as expected.

At best they get a C. Certainly not good.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

What's absurd is he was talking to a reporter and that the QB situation has been an elephant in the room between the press and skip all season. Totally ridiculous that that article was run for the first time after game 12 - just now being publicly discussed. Unbelievable.
    Totally agree with this. There isn’t any media on the Tech beat interested in asking tough questions.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by b00mer1 View Post
    Elephant(s) in the room. Interesting comment. Is he talking about Jmar? Himself? Our horrible AD? Holtz gets a 300k+ bonus for a bowl win so I think he wants to win this game. I just hope our players want it as bad as our losers up top. I love whatching my Dawgs and I’ve seen coaches/horrible ads come and go so with that, can’t wait to see my Dawgs play!

I’ll have to take a nap before the game, 9:30???
    I hope you’re joking about the $300K?

+ Reply to Thread