+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 81

Thread: Coaching Changes Needed

  1. #1
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    49,132

    Coaching Changes Needed

    These two need to be changed asap, but when it happens we are likely to have them replaced with more old friends of Holtz who are part of the coaching establishment.

    https://latechsports.com/coaches.asp...&path=football

    https://latechsports.com/coaches.asp...&path=football

    If Holtz does not make changes in this staff he is saying that what we saw this year is as good as we can do. Also, look for Blake Baker to be hired away soon and for Holtz to become more involved in the defense again.
    "eye fo an eye and toof fo a toof" - Idiot in Missouri

  2. #2
    Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East of the mighty Ouachita
    Posts
    6,234

    Re: Coaching Changes Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    These two need to be changed asap, but when it happens we are likely to have them replaced with more old friends of Holtz who are part of the coaching establishment.

    https://latechsports.com/coaches.asp...&path=football

    https://latechsports.com/coaches.asp...&path=football

    If Holtz does not make changes in this staff he is saying that what we saw this year is as good as we can do. Also, look for Blake Baker to be hired away soon and for Holtz to become more involved in the defense again.
    Agree about Baker. If he stays, next years D will be salty.

  3. #3
    Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    29,770

    Re: Coaching Changes Needed

    Aren't you also critical of Rattay as QB coach? Get rid of him too, then.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    49,132

    Re: Coaching Changes Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Aren't you also critical of Rattay as QB coach? Get rid of him too, then.
    Not me. Only people who don't understand the game think Rattay is the problem with our QB.
    "eye fo an eye and toof fo a toof" - Idiot in Missouri

  5. #5
    Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,076

    Re: Coaching Changes Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Not me. Only people who don't understand the game think Rattay is the problem with our QB.
    How confident are you that the OL are being held back by the coach and not their talent level? And if J'Mar's talent is an issue, why are you throwing Fitch under the bus but not Rattay?

  6. #6
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    49,132

    Re: Coaching Changes Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    How confident are you that the OL are being held back by the coach and not their talent level? And if J'Mar's talent is an issue, why are you throwing Fitch under the bus but not Rattay?
    The Oline is a problem. They have been for three years. Logic says the coach is the problem.

    I'm not throwing Fitch under the bus because of our QB. Our offense is horrible. I know our HC is not taking the blame so logic says it is the OC.

    Rattay knows the position. He was an over achiever who learned proper technique. Our QB is gifted as an athlete, but has no natural technique and is apparently unable to learn the basics that most QBs are either gifted with or learn by or during high school. Nobody, including Fitch or Rattay can teach instinct.
    "eye fo an eye and toof fo a toof" - Idiot in Missouri

  7. #7
    Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,076

    Re: Coaching Changes Needed

    It doesn't make sense to me to fire the WR coach if the QB has poor technique though. The HC is saying the OL, QB, and coaches are to blame for the horrible offense. Logic would indicate if the QB sucks, his coach is to blame... just like the OL. Unless you are willing to cut McFarland the slack you are cutting Rattay and say the OL are unable to learn from the coach too?

  8. #8
    Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Dogtown, AR
    Posts
    12,236

    Re: Coaching Changes Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    D will be salty.
    twss

  9. #9
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    49,132

    Re: Coaching Changes Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    It doesn't make sense to me to fire the WR coach if the QB has poor technique though. The HC is saying the OL, QB, and coaches are to blame for the horrible offense. Logic would indicate if the QB sucks, his coach is to blame... just like the OL. Unless you are willing to cut McFarland the slack you are cutting Rattay and say the OL are unable to learn from the coach too?
    You know as well as I do that our QB was not "game manager" material when he got here. He plays by the seat of his pants which is fine if the HEAD COACH will allow him to do that. I've never blamed our OC for anything. Our HC won't take responsibility so his OC has to take the blame. Our HC has NEVER blamed his QB coach for Smith's lack of accuracy or basic instincts.
    "eye fo an eye and toof fo a toof" - Idiot in Missouri

  10. #10
    Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    47,672

    Re: Coaching Changes Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    These two need to be changed asap, but when it happens we are likely to have them replaced with more old friends of Holtz who are part of the coaching establishment.

    https://latechsports.com/coaches.asp...&path=football

    https://latechsports.com/coaches.asp...&path=football

    If Holtz does not make changes in this staff he is saying that what we saw this year is as good as we can do. Also, look for Blake Baker to be hired away soon and for Holtz to become more involved in the defense again.
    Oh brother....here we go again.

  11. #11
    Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    47,672

    Re: Coaching Changes Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    You know as well as I do that our QB was not "game manager" material when he got here. He plays by the seat of his pants which is fine if the HEAD COACH will allow him to do that. I've never blamed our OC for anything. Our HC won't take responsibility so his OC has to take the blame. Our HC has NEVER blamed his QB coach for Smith's lack of accuracy or basic instincts.
    Dude! We are all sorry you are in a pissy mood again but won on Saturday. Even the announcers mentioned his poor QB techniques that needed work on live TV in the first half if you were watching the game at all.

  12. #12
    Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Posts
    6,581

    Re: Coaching Changes Needed

    it’s amazing how many folks are willing to throw Rattay under the bus.

  13. #13
    Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute tenacious_dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Minden / Homer
    Posts
    3,933

    Re: Coaching Changes Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    You know as well as I do that our QB was not "game manager" material when he got here. He plays by the seat of his pants which is fine if the HEAD COACH will allow him to do that. I've never blamed our OC for anything. Our HC won't take responsibility so his OC has to take the blame. Our HC has NEVER blamed his QB coach for Smith's lack of accuracy or basic instincts.
    PD, Rattay can't go on the field and throw the ball for the kid. If he can make the plays and throws in practice, as Holtz said recently, but gets on the field in a game and struggles.....that's not on the QB coach.
    Graduate of Louisiana Tech University - Flagship of the University of Louisiana System, Lifetime Alumnus, LTAC, Season Tickets: 8 Football, 5 MBB, 5 Baseball. Go Dawgs!

  14. #14
    Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    29,770

    Re: Coaching Changes Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    PD, Rattay can't go on the field and throw the ball for the kid. If he can make the plays and throws in practice, as Holtz said recently, but gets on the field in a game and struggles.....that's not on the QB coach.
    But it is on the HC to make a change.

    It's absolutely amazing how every TV analyst says the exact same thing. They have no dog in this fight and have every reason to take the easy road and just say, "Smith is a good QB." But they don't. Every one of them is critical of Smith. And they pick up on that with just minimal film review preparing for the telecast.

    If 20 people tell you are drunk, please give your car keys to a friend. In this case, 20 people are telling Holtz "your QB sucks."

    I hope we get something different next year. But if Smith is back as the starter I will, at first, HOPE he suddenly acts like other senior QBs do and has a great year. If not, I will hope we manage to get to 7 wins and then win bowl #6 in a row. Hope springs eternal!

  15. #15
    Big Dog Saint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant future
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    852

    Re: Coaching Changes Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    But it is on the HC to make a change.

    It's absolutely amazing how every TV analyst says the exact same thing. They have no dog in this fight and have every reason to take the easy road and just say, "Smith is a good QB." But they don't. Every one of them is critical of Smith. And they pick up on that with just minimal film review preparing for the telecast.

    If 20 people tell you are drunk, please give your car keys to a friend. In this case, 20 people are telling Holtz "your QB sucks."

    I hope we get something different next year. But if Smith is back as the starter I will, at first, HOPE he suddenly acts like other senior QBs do and has a great year. If not, I will hope we manage to get to 7 wins and then win bowl #6 in a row. Hope springs eternal!
    The TV guy for the bowl game said the overthrows were mechanics...which goes back to QB coaching.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts