+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Changes Needed

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Coaching Changes Needed

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Huh? You believe the HC is to blame, but he won't accept it, so LOGIC says to fire the OC? That doesn't sound like logic at all. As 77 has said, what difference will a new OC make if he can't run things as he sees fit?
    You're terrible about saying "no" to every change recommended. You just love gunning down other people's ideas, without ever recommending any of your own.

KNOWING that our offense must improve in 2019, what exactly do YOU suggest to improve it? Let's hear it......

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    You're terrible about saying "no" to every change recommended. You just love gunning down other people's ideas, without ever recommending any of your own.

KNOWING that our offense must improve in 2019, what exactly do YOU suggest to improve it? Let's hear it......
    I believe the only way this offense improves is for us to have an AD that will sit down with our HC and state that he HAS to put an offense in place that will excite the fans. It is his choice on if that is hiring a new OC, promoting Tim, or staying with what he has. In any case, it need to be clear to him that if he doesn't produce an offense that will get the fans to the games and win, then his job is in question - no matter how many bowls we win. SD needs to see the urgency of this situation. I LOVE that our defense is playing so well, but we are losing our casual fan base in big chunks right now due to an unexciting product on the field. Ultimately, this needs to come from our President down to the AD down to the HC and down from there. Each person under Dr. Guice needs to be held accountable and make something happen quickly or that person's job is on the line. That is the only way this will work.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I said no to the logic, not to the change.

The only way that PD's suggestion is logical is if he's playing a long game by trying to show that no OC's can be successful here, thus showing that the problem lies higher up the food chain.

My suggestion has been noted numerous times here...play looser and faster. If J'Mar is going to be the QB, that's the only way he'll be successful. If Skip refuses to do that, I would suggest he go out and find a QB who can play the game Skip wants to play. Maybe a grad transfer or Allen if he fits that mold. Our OL has underperformed for several years...if the OL can't block, we can't run or pass.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Huh? You believe the HC is to blame, but he won't accept it, so LOGIC says to fire the OC? That doesn't sound like logic at all. As 77 has said, what difference will a new OC make if he can't run things as he sees fit?
    You know I've always said the same about Holtz micro management.

I should have been more clear. Holtz logic says the OC and the OLine coach need to be changed. We know the QB and the HC won't be changed.

You good with things staying the same?

Edit: I agree that looser and faster will work, but Holtz has said he does not like to do that.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Our OL has underperformed for several years...if the OL can't block, we can't run or pass.
    Agree. But our running game was much worse than our passing game this year. I think Holtz should find a way to get more creative with the run game... I liked the reverse to Tarzan against Hawaii. I liked J'Mar keeping the ball more. We don't do well with the RPO overall. I think we could use a better back too though. Dancy was pretty limited this year. The backups were marginal at best. If we can't run the ball, it puts that much more pressure on J'Mar to move the ball and score our points. I don't think that's his game.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

"...J'Mar to move the ball and score our points. I don't think that's his game."

I agree, moving the ball and scoring points is definitely NOT Smith's strength!

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    "...J'Mar to move the ball and score our points. I don't think that's his game."

I agree, moving the ball and scoring points is definitely NOT Smith's strength!

I mean he's a game manager, not a Johnny Manziel kind of player. If a team takes away our run game and forces J'Mar to beat us by himself, we are in trouble. That's not who he is. He's perfectly capable of winning a bunch of games in a balanced (run and pass) offense though.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    Agree. But our running game was much worse than our passing game this year. I think Holtz should find a way to get more creative with the run game... I liked the reverse to Tarzan against Hawaii. I liked J'Mar keeping the ball more. We don't do well with the RPO overall. I think we could use a better back too though. Dancy was pretty limited this year. The backups were marginal at best. If we can't run the ball, it puts that much more pressure on J'Mar to move the ball and score our points. I don't think that's his game.
    See that’s the catch 22. Everyone sees our offense and knows that our RPO is anemic, but no one knows what to do. Some blame the OLine, some the QB, some the HC, some the assistant coaches, some the WR, some the RBs.

What I have said consistently is ultimately this falls on the HC to change. He has often said that nothing is wrong. The last game of the season after get shellacked by WKU with a lame duck HC, he finally said something was wrong.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I said no to the logic, not to the change.

The only way that PD's suggestion is logical is if he's playing a long game by trying to show that no OC's can be successful here, thus showing that the problem lies higher up the food chain.

My suggestion has been noted numerous times here...play looser and faster. If J'Mar is going to be the QB, that's the only way he'll be successful. If Skip refuses to do that, I would suggest he go out and find a QB who can play the game Skip wants to play. Maybe a grad transfer or Allen if he fits that mold. Our OL has underperformed for several years...if the OL can't block, we can't run or pass.

So....no personnel changes are recommended by YOU? YOU think we've got all the right people. So as long as we produce "looser and faster 3 and outs", you're happy. Got it.

If you want to play "looser and faster", don't we need a new head coach? That's just not Holtz's style. Just saying......

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    You good with things staying the same?
    If Holtz is micromanaging the offense and he stays, everything stays the same anyway right? What does canning Fitch help?

So....no personnel changes are recommended by YOU? YOU think we've got all the right people. So as long as we produce "looser and faster 3 and outs", you're happy. Got it.

If you want to play "looser and faster", don't we need a new head coach? That's just not Holtz's style. Just saying......
    Do you actually read my posts or just respond to what you think I think?

Do you care?

I'm sorry.....did you say something?

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Looser and faster isn’t going to make Jmar more accurate. He already has terrible mechanics according to some.

Do you care?
    Depends on how you define care I suppose. I just wondered given the fact that the last sentence of the post you responded to concurred that the OL was a problem and had been for years. Perhaps I wasn't explicit enough for you. I agree with Monty that the OL issues need to be addressed.

Further, I've NEVER said I was satisfied with the offense. I just don't think firing Fitch is going to change much (as I believe PD has already said himself...more or less).

+ Reply to Thread