+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Baker to Miami

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Re: Baker to Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    So are gay mongolian bank robbers..

But I wouldn’t want them making Techs football schedules.
    I thought that was who was making ours out?

Sure seems that way with our pay-outs lately
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    I'm gonna say Tech might have the longest streak in the nation without firing a single football coach (head coach or assistant coach).When was the last time Tech ever fired a football coach? Bicknell in 2006? Maybe you can count Dooley demoting Ed Jackson from an assistant coach to a staffer after the 2007 season, but he wasn't fired. I don't think you can seriously count assistants who weren't retained during our head coach transitions after our former HCs got hired away and new HCs brought in their own staffs. That's expected everywhere.
    Some within our athletic department say that Skip told Dameron to look for another job after the 2013 season and then helped him land where he did. For Dameron that game against Army where he had our defense lined up incorrectly to stop the option was too much to overcome.

If I remember correctly, Rick Smith, our DC in 2002 and 2003, was told the same thing after the 2003 season when Jack was trying to save his own job. Smith's system didn't fit our players. Dan Werner was let go as OC right after the 1994 season, a decision that was made the night of the Centennial game loss to USL. Crowton replaced him.

Also, Dooley let Conroy go right after the 2009 season.

I'm sure I'm missing a few since the mid 90s, but you are correct in that it's a very short list.
    Last edited by The Historian; 01-14-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Some within our athletic department say that Skip told Dameron to look for another job after the 2013 season and then helped him land where he did. For Dameron that game against Army where he had our defense lined up incorrectly to stop the option was too much to overcome.

If I remember correctly, Rick Smith, our DC in 2002 and 2003, was told the same thing after the 2003 season when Jack was trying to save his own job. Smith's system didn't fit our players. Dan Werner was let go as OC right after the 1994 season, a decision that was made the night of the Centennial game loss to USL. Crowton replaced him.

Also, Dooley let Conroy go right after the 2009 season.

I'm sure I'm missing a few since the mid 90s, but you are correct in that it's a very short list.
    Thanks. Conroy was the first person to come to mind because I thought Dooley let him go, but when I went back to check, he was on staff throughout Dooley's entire tenure. Now I remember. Dooley fired Conroy late, and then Dooley took the Tennessee job like a week later because that domino didn't fall until after the NFL season with Pete Carroll and then Lane Kiffin. Conroy probably would not have been retained by Sonny anyway.

If that's true about Dameron, he did great considering he landed an FCS head coaching gig.

This is one of the reasons I think assistant contracts are not a big deal at Tech. I've never understood the fuss. Skip/Tech isn't firing any assistant after two games leaving them without income for a couple months. That's really the only thing a 1-year contract would do for an assistant, and it's totally unnecessary at Tech because they aren't getting fired midseason or at all for that matter.

+ Reply to Thread