+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Baker to Miami

Big Dog Rama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant future Rama Jama's Avatar

Re: Baker to Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    We were just lucky with Manny. He was thrown under the bus at Texas and needed a place to revive his career.
    Manny, Driskell, and on. I would love for Tech to be the place where extraordinarily talented players/coaches who otherwise went off the rails come to restart the upward journey.

Redemption U.

ESPN would be all over that as a story. PR department needs to sell this like they are selling the "won 5 straight bowl games" .

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    Manny, Driskell, and on. I would love for Tech to be the place where extraordinarily talented players/coaches who otherwise went off the rails come to restart the upward journey.

Redemption U.

ESPN would be all over that as a story. PR department needs to sell this like they are selling the "won 5 straight bowl games" .
    Our "PR Dept" is run by SLC hacks who don't understand the great points you made above. They certainly don't know how to sell it.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Skip used to call them "the land of misfit toys." Those days are gone.

Bulldog DD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her game

Id Like to see John Thompson return to Tech. He was our DC in 1992 when LA Tech had the number 2 ranked defense in the nation. He has coached all over college football and usually had great success at each spot. He was often in the middle of HC coaching changes that caused him to move onward. Not saying he could bring us back to #2 again but he would be a great addition.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

I think Baker will do really well at Miami with Diaz running the defense. Definitely a chance for a major upgrade for us.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    Definitely a chance for a major upgrade for us.
    I thought Baker was really really good for us...

I look for us to take a big step back on that side of the ball next fall
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post

I look for us to take a big step back on that side of the ball next fall
    With Skippy at the helm, I'd agree that we probably won't see much improvement (if any).

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    With Skippy at the helm, I'd agree that we probably won't see much improvement (if any).
    My gut tells me that our next DC will be some old pal of Skip’s that has been fired from their last job or been out of coaching for awhile.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Skip hired Baker as DC. Should attribute it to dumb luck?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    Skip hired Baker as DC. Should attribute it to dumb luck?
    He was already on staff. IMO, it was more a promotion than a hire.

The next guy will be a 50 something has been.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post

I agree but it was a head scratching promotion to me when he did it.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I agree but it was a head scratching promotion to me when he did it.
    It was the easy way out for Holtz and Holtz ran the defense in year 1. He gave him more rope in year 2, then rewarded him with the new contract. Not many of us thought he deserved a new contract. I didn't. It worked out for all concerned, but the contract was really a silly thing to do. Baker wasn't going anywhere yet we paid him much more for two years. Another fail by our AD.
    Last edited by DocMarvin362; 01-10-2019 at 09:38 AM.

It was the easy way out for Holtz and Holtz ran the defense in year 1. He gave him more rope in year 2, then rewarded him with the new contract. Not many of us thought he deserved a new contract. I didn't. It worked out for all concerned, but the contract was really a silly thing to do. Baker wasn't going anywhere yet we paid him much more for two years. Another fail by our AD.
    Did the contract include a buyout?
    Last edited by DocMarvin362; 01-10-2019 at 09:39 AM.

I doubt it considering who is in charge of that type thing.

Puppy DurDog is a jewel in the roughDurDog is a jewel in the roughDurDog is a jewel in the roughDurDog is a jewel in the roughDurDog is a jewel in the roughDurDog is a jewel in the roughDurDog is a jewel in the roughDurDog is a jewel in the roughDurDog is a jewel in the roughDurDog is a jewel in the roughDurDog is a jewel in the rough

Will always be the case until LaTech can start being competitive from a salary standpoint in their own conference. Reason why the staff is made up of either young, inexperienced coaches or coaches in the twilight of their careers. That's what is affordable given the embarrassing coaches salary pool that currently exists.

+ Reply to Thread