+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey LA Tech!!

Big Dog ACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to all

Re: Hey LA Tech!!

You are right. Player development is key. Amariah has over 30 division 1 offers. The lists above don’t really tell you much. Every kid that received an all American nomination was justifiably excited. If you look at the list for each state you will see many were not so fortunate. I have no desire to take away from the joy of receiving a division 1 offer by taking shots at the level of school on a kids list.
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    That is not exactly an impressive list of schools. Two almost McDonald's All-Americans and not a single "big" school recruited 'em? Find something wrong in that picture.

And surely Hawkison and Roberson had others recruiting them/offering them too?

Of course, as I recall, we've had some pretty good players in football who were lightly recruited, or maybe not recruited at all....such as Tim Rattay, Trent Taylor, Boston Scott....all three made it to the pros.

Recruiting is not an exact science. Good players, hidden gems, slip through the "big school" net sometimes. Brooke landed two at NSU who could have played just about anywhere. Maybe not at UCONN or a super elite like that, but at just about any other "P5" school. So....who really knows?

Besides, it's really about player development. Good coaches can take an "average" player and make something out of them.

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Folks our issue is simple, we don't have a post game, we are missing it and it sticks out like a sore thumb, nobody respects our post game and they are willing to go one on one with out post which makes it so hard for the guards like Taylor to get quality shots off. I am not taking anything away from Taylor she is one of the finest shooters we have had but she is not a play maker nor does she need to be we have one of those heck we have a couple of those that can create for themselves but we are missing that post presence that causes teams to double down on the post freeing up the guards on the wing where they can move freely and relocate.
    We are in bad terrible need of a kid that is about oh 6ft 4 or 6ft 5 that stands about 230 or 240. We need a thick kid in the middle and that really doesn't fit the style of uptempo we are wanting to play but it does mean teams would have to defend the post.

That being said, we got post players we just don't have post players that are hitting the floor every night with the mindset, YOUR not gonna stop me from doing my thing on this court and if you are gonna stop me then bring it because not one person is going to defend me. Whitney is strong enough that she could bully some but Cleaver is more finesse but she can easily work around the basket, heck I really like that we could go four out one in and let the Grayson Bright work in the paint she has the ability to do that.
    We just have to be hard to guard and right now we are way too easy.
    I will go down with this ship though because I just really see that we could be a really good team if they just believe in themselves individually.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ACSlatech1994 View Post
    You are right. Player development is key. Amariah has over 30 division 1 offers. The lists above don’t really tell you much. Every kid that received an all American nomination was justifiably excited. If you look at the list for each state you will see many were not so fortunate. I have no desire to take away from the joy of receiving a division 1 offer by taking shots at the level of school on a kids list.
    Stanard announced those 20 offers, and she is by far the most highly recruited Stoehr has landed. She's obviously C-USA caliber, but all-conference? We'll see.

Contrary to what you think, I think offer lists tell you a lot, especially about a coach's ability to recruit. I have no clue what you are talking about with "girls being excited by nominations" and "taking away joy from receiving offers" and "taking shots at kids lists." Can we honestly talk about Stoehr's recruiting without getting emotional?

Here are the ASGR recruiting rankings if you think those are better than offer lists.

As of last week, this year's class mentioned above currently ranks #10 in C-USA, #176 in the NCAA.
    https://asgrbasketball.com/notre-dam...ss-rankings-3/
    https://asgrbasketball.com/western-k...lass-rankings/

Programs like MTSU and Rice are bringing in entire signing classes with their lowest-ranked recruit ranked higher than Tech's top recruit.

Last year's Lady Techsters class ranked last at #14 in C-USA, #306 in the NCAA.
    https://asgrbasketball.com/conferenc...lass-rankings/
    https://asgrbasketball.com/top-350-r...ings-for-2018/

Tech's top recruit ranked #1,601 in the country.

Brooke's first signing class: #9 in C-USA, not ranked in Top 75. (could only find rankings for early signing period, but you get the picture)
    http://rankings.asgrbasketball.com/w...s-version-2-0/
    http://rankings.asgrbasketball.com/w...ings-for-2017/

You can say player development is key, but I don't think Geno could win a C-USA championship with our talent level. Here we are in Year 3 of the Stoehr era, and where is the player development? We only have one lady who can score in double-figures, and she'll be gone in two months. Two if you count Stahly, but she's a senior, too.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 01-17-2019 at 12:04 PM.

+ Reply to Thread