+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Former Bulldog John Simon Now Coaching at Memphis

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Re: Former Bulldog John Simon Now Coaching at Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    I'll get you the much discussed list later. I think you know that very few of those "hired away" from Tech were actually sought after coaches. Holtz has taken care of coaches when he hired them and he has taken care of coaches when he told them it was time to move on. You can count the number of those who were desired by other programs on one hand. There are 2 to 3 times that many who moved on (or still need to) who took lateral positions or steps down.

BTW, I've only said our OC and OLine coaches need to go. The proof is in our poor offense and poor offensive line for the past 2 years.
    What about our poor QB play the last two years?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    What about our poor QB play the last two years?
    Our coach and many of our Holtz fans disagree with you. It's the Oline's fault...even the defenses fault. Never the rockstar or COYHCSH.

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Our coach and many of our Holtz fans disagree with you. It's the Oline's fault...even the defenses fault. Never the rockstar or COYHCSH.
    You want to fire the OC and OLine Coach.... why not the Qb coach? If the QB coach gets a pass, why not the OC and O Line coach? It’s all Holtz fault anyway.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

You want to fire the OC and OLine Coach.... why not the Qb coach? If the QB coach gets a pass, why not the OC and O Line coach? It’s all Holtz fault anyway.
    Because the QB coach didn't make our QB into what he is. He was bad when he got here and he is uncoachable. You are too football ignorant to see that.

We all know our OC is only the eyes in the sky. Why pay a guy that much to do what any good Jr high coach can do? Because he is Holtz' butt buddy.

How can you defend the OLine coach? Because you are football ignorant.

Go back to WBB and figure out how to shoot foul shots and layups.

Because the QB coach didn't make our QB into what he is. He was bad when he got here and he is uncoachable. You are too football ignorant to see that.

We all know our OC is only the eyes in the sky. Why pay a guy that much to do what any good Jr high coach can do? Because he is Holtz' butt buddy.

How can you defend the OLine coach? Because you are football ignorant.

Go back to WBB and figure out how to shoot foul shots and layups.
    Lol! There is someone ignorant as it concerns football in this conversation and it’s not me.

Lol! There is someone ignorant as it concerns football in this conversation and it’s not me.
    Yeah it is. Especially if you think our OLine coach is not a dud.

I’m not defending the oline coach, nor the OC , but our qb has sucked as well. If you use the same standards as the OC , and oline coach....

I’m not defending the oline coach, nor the OC , but our qb has sucked as well. If you use the same standards as the OC , and oline coach....
    See that's how I know you are either ignorant to the game of football or just hating on Rattay.

The best NCAA or NFL QB coach can't help our QB. He has some skills, but the guy is just not a good QB. I've said this many times, but a QB coach can't teach touch, feel in the pocket/when to run, or how to look off receivers. This is all natural ability that we see in most decent high school QBs. Our QB never showed this in high school. He showed athleticism. Turns out he is even lacking in the run department. The guy runs like a D Lineman. I suppose that's Rattay's fault too.

BTW, I've never blamed our OC for the horrible offense, but since Holtz won't take ownership he needs to give the fans a reason or show he cares about fixing it.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pawdawg View Post
    but since holtz won't take ownership he needs to give the fans a reason or show he cares about fixing it.
    "give us a scalp"
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

See that's how I know you are either ignorant to the game of football or just hating on Rattay.

The best NCAA or NFL QB coach can't help our QB. He has some skills, but the guy is just not a good QB. I've said this many times, but a QB coach can't teach touch, feel in the pocket/when to run, or how to look off receivers. This is all natural ability that we see in most decent high school QBs. Our QB never showed this in high school. He showed athleticism. Turns out he is even lacking in the run department. The guy runs like a D Lineman. I suppose that's Rattay's fault too.

BTW, I've never blamed our OC for the horrible offense, but since Holtz won't take ownership he needs to give the fans a reason or show he cares about fixing it.
    Well, since you mentioned it... Rattay is credited with recruiting J’mar and his dad played with Rattay at Tampa Bay, i’m sure it’s just a coincidence.

Well, since you mentioned it... Rattay is credited with recruiting J’mar and his dad played with Rattay at Tampa Bay, i’m sure it’s just a coincidence.
    Interesting. Is this in Smith's bio?

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Interesting. Is this in Smith's bio?
    https://latechsports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=626
    PERSONAL
    Jamarius Contrell Smith … Goes by J’Mar … Son of Kenny Smith and Vashonda Davis … Born on Sept. 24, 1996 in Meridian, Mississippi … Has three younger siblings: Jaluja, Kyah and Gia Bella … Father, Kenny, was a defensive lineman at Alabama in 1997 when LA Tech beat the Crimson Tide 26-20 and went on to play for the Saints, Patriots and Chiefs … Chose Louisiana Tech over Memphis and Mississippi State … Recruited by Tim Rattay.

Champ zharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant future zharkins's Avatar

I'll get you the much discussed list later. I think you know that very few of those "hired away" from Tech were actually sought after coaches. Holtz has taken care of coaches when he hired them and he has taken care of coaches when he told them it was time to move on. You can count the number of those who were desired by other programs on one hand. There are 2 to 3 times that many who moved on (or still need to) who took lateral positions or steps down.

BTW, I've only said our OC and OLine coaches need to go. The proof is in our poor offense and poor offensive line for the past 2 years.
    Kim Dameron - [2013] - Hired as head coach by Eastern Illinois - In 2018 he was making $185K at Eastern Illinois
    Stan Eggen (inherited, but Skip could have let him go) - Hired by Iowa State - In 2018 he was making $150K at New Mexico
    Jeff Koonz (inherited, but Skip could have let him go) - Hired by Cinncinati - In 2018 he was making $185K at UNT
    Matt Moore - [2013-2014] - Hired by Troy as OC (was OL Coach for us) - In 2018 he was making $195K at Troy
    Oscar Giles [2014] - Hired by Houston - In 2018 he was making $400K at Texas
    Ronnie Bradford - [2013-2015] - Hired by USC as the secondary coach - They don't release salaries, but the lowest paid UCLA coach in 2018 was $250K, so he was making at least that.
    Jabbar Juluke - [2013-2015] - Hired by LSU - In 2018 he was making $200K at ULL
    Tony Peterson - [2013-2015] - Hired by East Carolina as OC - In 2018 he was making $305K at East Carolina
    Manny Diaz [2014-2015] - Hired by Mississippi State as DC; went to Miami as DC; hired by Temple to be HC and swiftly hired back by Miami to be HC - Rumored to be making $3.1 million a year as Miami HC.
    Karl Scott [2015] - Hired by Texas Tech; Two seasons later hired by ULL as a DC and swiftly hired away in a month to be an assistant at Alabama. - In 2018 he was making $350K at Alabama
    Mickey Joseph [2016] - Hired by LSU - In 2018 he was making $235K at LSU
    Kevin Curtis [2016-2017] - Hired by SMU - SMU doesn't report salaries
    Lanier Goethie [2016-2017] - Hired by Duke - Duke doesn't report salaries
    Tony Ball [2017-2018] - Hired by UTSA
    Blake Baker [2014-2018] - Hired by Miami as DC
    Erik Link [2018] - Hired by App State.

Tim Rattay [2013-Present]
    Joe Sloan [2013-Present]
    Robert McFarland [2014-Present]
    Rick Petri [2015-Present]
    Todd Fitch [2016-Present]
    Jeff Burris [2018-Present]
    Brian Gamble [2018-Present]

So 16 coaches have been hired away. Link took a lateral job for more money because we were only paying him $50K and Ball went lateral to UTSA in what appeared to be a mutual parting. So 15 of 16 coaches got better jobs and/or better pay after leaving Tech, and 13 of those 15 still made more in 2018 than the highest paid assistant currently on staff at Tech (OC Todd Fitch - $155K). Stan Eggen came in $5K short of our OC.

I'm giving Pawdawg 3 Pinocchios instead of 4, because he is right about Fitch and McFarland needing to find a new home.

zharkins is lumping together in his list.

Remove...
    Baker
    Joseph
    Scott
    Diaz
    Peterson
    Juluke
    Bradford
    Gyles
    Koonze
    Eggen

All of these got significant raises to go to larger programs. That's 10 coaches in 6 years hired away. That's not a problem and I consider it "very few" just like I said above.

Of the six remaining

Link - Underpaid and held back by his boss. See our punt receiving team. He couldn't wait to GTH out of Ruston.
    Ball - As you stated above, needed to go.
    Kevin Curtis - Got a raise
    Lanier Goethie Got a raise
    Moore - Was fired, but Skip took care of him
    Dameron - Same as Moore.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to follow your argument. I'm saying Holtz doesn't make a bunch of bad hires. In fact, he usually makes good hires. What are you saying?
    Have you considered those Dogs?

+ Reply to Thread