+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Former Bulldog John Simon Now Coaching at Memphis

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Former Bulldog John Simon Now Coaching at Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    Holtz has brought in more good coaches than bad. That's why they keep getting hired away.
    How can you say that? Only a handful in 6 years have been hired away. Many were hired by other programs because Tech was a one or two year resting spot, but we have been stuck with more of the Holtz hires than benefited from them. We went over this years ago when the silly need for contracts was being debated.

Question: Do you include Diaz in the good hires? I count him as one of the few bonuses we got from being in the middle of the Holtz drop spot for assistants. Think about the money we've squandered on OCs and OLine coaches. All of them were and continue to be Holtz's buddies not real coaches.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    How are we going to pay them? Looks like Simon was making 250,00+ in Arizona, I’m sure he didn’t take a pay cut moving to Memphis.
    As usual, you don't know that, you are making uneducated guesses on Simon. Look what we are paying our current OC and OLine coaches. Both are useless.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    How can you say that? Only a handful in 6 years have been hired away. Many were hired by other programs because Tech was a one or two year resting spot, but we have been stuck with more of the Holtz hires than benefited from them. We went over this years ago when the silly need for contracts was being debated.

Question: Do you include Diaz in the good hires? I count him as one of the few bonuses we got from being in the middle of the Holtz drop spot for assistants. Think about the money we've squandered on OCs and OLine coaches. All of them were and continue to be Holtz's buddies not real coaches.
    I don't care to look up who all went where but I do know coaches have been hired away from Tech. People tend to hire those guys with whom they are familiar. You have named 2 coaches. You've implied that Fitch and McFarland aren't good at that jobs. Which of the others aren't? I really don't know.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I don't care to look up who all went where but I do know coaches have been hired away from Tech. People tend to hire those guys with whom they are familiar. You have named 2 coaches. You've implied that Fitch and McFarland aren't good at that jobs. Which of the others aren't? I really don't know.
    I'll get you the much discussed list later. I think you know that very few of those "hired away" from Tech were actually sought after coaches. Holtz has taken care of coaches when he hired them and he has taken care of coaches when he told them it was time to move on. You can count the number of those who were desired by other programs on one hand. There are 2 to 3 times that many who moved on (or still need to) who took lateral positions or steps down.

BTW, I've only said our OC and OLine coaches need to go. The proof is in our poor offense and poor offensive line for the past 2 years.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I'll get you the much discussed list later. I think you know that very few of those "hired away" from Tech were actually sought after coaches. Holtz has taken care of coaches when he hired them and he has taken care of coaches when he told them it was time to move on. You can count the number of those who were desired by other programs on one hand. There are 2 to 3 times that many who moved on (or still need to) who took lateral positions or steps down.

BTW, I've only said our OC and OLine coaches need to go. The proof is in our poor offense and poor offensive line for the past 2 years.
    I understand the hesitancy to fire someone unless they are insubordinate or run afoul so I'm sure he helps some find other jobs instead of terminating them. I think Holtz works within a fairly good network of coaches. I would argue that 90% of coaches work within a network. Money is definitely an issue at Tech. That right there requires more risk in who he can bring in. All that said, I don't feel sorry for coaches at our level or above. They are all well-compensated and understand the requirements of the business.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Compare the up and comers Holtz has hired like our ST guy or Baker to the many retreads he has hired. Holtz wants comfort. His comfort zone is 6-8 wins. He can do that with the retreads.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Compare the up and comers Holtz has hired like our ST guy or Baker to the many retreads he has hired. Holtz wants comfort. His comfort zone is 6-8 wins. He can do that with the retreads.
    With our weak-azz schedule and the talent we can recruit...just because...anyone can achieve 6-8 wins here. And apparently, given the mediocre coaching/results we get, that's what he have now...just "anyone." I'd like to see what Tech Football can accomplish with a good HC and staff.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

I think John Simon would do fantastic here. He has been building his resume the right way and proven very competent. Arizona State is a good place to come from as a coach. It is a Pac 12 school which has had some very good coaches to learn from and not overly talented and wealthy to the point that you can hide deficient coaching with talent. Memphis has a proven offensive system with a good coach and a solid conference that is weak on the back end so you can pad your resume while gaining experience. If they hired John Simon as new OC replacing Fitch, I would be through the roof.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Is Fitch leaving? Why are we talkong about replacements to a good buddy of Holtz who doesn't actually call plays? He isn't going anywhere anytime soon...
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Is Fitch leaving? Why are we talkong about replacements to a good buddy of Holtz who doesn't actually call plays? He isn't going anywhere anytime soon...
    Of course he is not leaving. Him staying is Holtz giving EllAye Tech fans the finger.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Of course he is not leaving. Him staying is Holtz giving EllAye Tech fans the finger.
    Only to the ones who believe Fitch is actually responsible for the O. The others just want a scalp on the wall whether it'll help or not.

Right?
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Only to the ones who believe Fitch is actually responsible for the O. The others just want a scalp on the wall whether it'll help or not.

Right?
    I don't want a scalp. I want Holtz to stop his BS that is driving fans away in droves. I actually care about our program, not some retread OC getting paid to do nothing.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I don't want a scalp. I want Holtz to stop his BS that is driving fans away in droves. I actually care about our program, not some retread OC getting paid to do nothing.
    Then go after Hotlz. Who do you think Holtz would replace Fitch with? Good grief man. You don't even believe canning Fitch would do anything.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    With our weak-azz schedule and the talent we can recruit...just because...anyone can achieve 6-8 wins here. And apparently, given the mediocre coaching/results we get, that's what he have now...just "anyone." I'd like to see what Tech Football can accomplish with a good HC and staff.
    Who would you consider a good HC? What is the going rate for a good HC? Are they willing to work with a budget staff? How do we generate the funds to pay all these good coaches? We have had multiple winning seasons in a regional conference and attendance is stale or declining. What are the solutions? Just win 10 games and everthything improves?

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

80 college football teams had worse records than Louisiana Tech in the 2018 season. Some were in better, worse, or equal conferences. Most have more financial resources. Few had more talent for the respective conference affiliation. That is the only thing that Skip Holtz has direct control over, the talent level. Does he underachieve? Well, win a conference championship and put that to rest. Time to hang skins on the wall.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncf/trends/win_trends/

+ Reply to Thread