+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Bulldog John Simon Now Coaching at Memphis

Big Dog Longdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to all

Former Bulldog John Simon Now Coaching at Memphis

Former Bulldog John Simon is the new wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator at Memphis.

He has been the Arizona State associate head coach and running backs coach for three years but “thinks the move will get him closer to landing a position as an offensive coordinator and, eventually, a head coach,” according to Michelle Gardner in her az.central.com story, “ASU running backs coach John Simon leaving to coach at Memphis” at https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...is/2494631002/

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Former Bulldog John Simon Now Coaching at Memphis

We just lost our RB coach. No one is happy with a certain figure “OC”. Why can’t we make this happen?

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar

If he's been learning at ASU and is going to Memphis to be the passing game coordinator, then his type of offense would be way too fast-paced for our HC.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockdog View Post
    We just lost our RB coach. No one is happy with a certain figure “OC”. Why can’t we make this happen?
    Tony Ball to UTSA, yuck.

Skip call up Ryan Moats. He's in Ruston.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Yall are way more loyal to former athletes than they are to Tech. Most of these guys are mercenaries to the highest bidder. Nothing to do with Ryan, but I'm talking in general.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    Yall are way more loyal to former athletes than they are to Tech. Most of these guys are mercenaries to the highest bidder. Nothing to do with Ryan, but I'm talking in general.
    Trying to make more money, I don’t think that applies to just football coaches, do you?

What I do have a problem with is the “good old boy” network where coaches continue to resurface regardless of ability. Like Todd Fitch.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    Trying to make more money, I don’t think that applies to just football coaches, do you?

What I do have a problem with is the “good old boy” network where coaches continue to resurface regardless of ability. Like Todd Fitch.
    Not at all. But some seem to have the perception that former players in the coaching profession maintain some kind of romanticized loyalty to Tech. They don't.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Not at all. But some seem to have the perception that former players in the coaching profession maintain some kind of romanticized loyalty to Tech. They don't.
    We never gave Simon the time of day when we had an opening and he was available last time. Not saying he would have been interested, but so far Rattay is the only coach hired by Holtz with Tech ties. All the others are/were in his coaching circle.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    We never gave Simon the time of day when we had an opening and he was available last time. Not saying he would have been interested, but so far Rattay is the only coach hired by Holtz with Tech ties. All the others are/were in his coaching circle.
    I imagine he's interested in furthering his career. But every time there's an opening we get a bunch of suggestions of former players.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I imagine he's interested in furthering his career. But every time there's an opening we get a bunch of suggestions of former players.
    I've noticed and it's understandable. At this point our HC has proven he can't be trusted to hire for improving the team above helping out an old pal. More old pals have been hired than good coaches.

It's a discussion point to me. I LOVE Longdog's updates on former players because I like to follow their careers. That said, I'm not thinking former players are necessarily the best candidates to coach here just because. Holtz has brought in more good coaches than bad. That's why they keep getting hired away.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Longdog View Post
    Former Bulldog John Simon is the new wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator at Memphis.

He has been the Arizona State associate head coach and running backs coach for three years but “thinks the move will get him closer to landing a position as an offensive coordinator and, eventually, a head coach,” according to Michelle Gardner in her az.central.com story, “ASU running backs coach John Simon leaving to coach at Memphis” at https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...is/2494631002/
    Thank you for posting that. I knew John Simon had played a few years in the NFL, but I had no idea he was in college coaching today. Interesting that he coached Ito Smith at USM back in 2015. No wonder Smith was so good.

Before coming to ASU, Simon coached at Southern Mississippi. In 2015, Simon groomed a pair of 1,000-yard rushers in Ito Smith and Jalen Richard. The two also combined for 799 receiving yards, with Smith catching 49 passes for 515 yards.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    I've noticed and it's understandable. At this point our HC has proven he can't be trusted to hire for improving the team above helping out an old pal. More old pals have been hired than good coaches.
    ^^^THIS!

It's pretty simple. If Holtz doesn't want people telling him how to do his job, then do it better than I could.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

John Simon #8 was terrific as a player, and Rattay knows him very well. I think starting to bring in some of those guys from that high-powered offense, who now have coaching experience, would be a very good thing for Tech football. Couldn't hurt...

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    John Simon #8 was terrific as a player, and Rattay knows him very well. I think starting to bring in some of those guys from that high-powered offense, who now have coaching experience, would be a very good thing for Tech football. Couldn't hurt...
    How are we going to pay them? Looks like Simon was making 250,00+ in Arizona, I’m sure he didn’t take a pay cut moving to Memphis.

+ Reply to Thread