Quote Originally Posted by brtransplant View Post
All good questions. Problem is, I don't think we have any good answers.

The biggest obstacle we face is our limited athletic budget. Ours is still one of the lowest in all of FBS. Our attendance at events is putrid, and it's steadily getting worse. Of course, almost everyone else's is tanking too, so that may not hinder us as much as it once would have.

Other than being an option for a conference if they were looking to add a regional school that'd make someone a good travel partner, we don't exactly have a lot to offer a conference.

The only viable option I see us having at this point is to try and make sure that we're included in any kind of new regional conference that may be formed. I can easily envision a new one forming that includes Tech, USM, UAB, MT, Ark St, ULL, UNT, Rice, UTSA, and UTEP. That'd be a pretty decent 10 team conference that I could live with.
The Belt boards have pushed this concept for at least the past 5 years. A couple of years ago UL-Lafayette's president sent a letter to the CUSA presidents proposing a study of something like this. I was told that at the CUSA summer meetings that year it was met with laughter. It's not going to happen - at least anytime soon.

Also, please consider the source when you read things like this on social media or on certain message boards. Much of it is coming from the same people who swore there was no way Tech was getting into CUSA before ULL, Arkansas State, etc... You are also reading stuff from folks whose administration was quietly telling their biggest donors they had a secret plan to get into the Big 12.