+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which college FB teams should drop to FCS

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Which college FB teams should drop to FCS

Yes, it is true attendance is down across the nation, even for successful programs. So some of our decline can be accounted for by this national trend. But! I think a greater influence is the absolutely crappy QB play we've had to endure with Smith, and the overall anemic offense the past two years.

2019 could be a total disaster. We're stuck with the crappy QB/anemic offense, but now we'll have a new DC so who knows if the defense will be able to salvage the season, like they've done the past two years.

Tech Football is the one sport I still have an interest in and a passion for. But that hangs in the balance. I can easily adopt the same attitude I have for Tech MBB, yeah I hope they win, but don't care even one iota when they lose. Doesn't bother me at all.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

We couldnt even fill the Joe with Higgins, Henderson, and Taylor on offense. Some of it may be the offense now, but it seems to be complimenting a bigger trend.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Our AD doesn't know how to market.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    I agree. If we are determined to have an SLC minded guy running our program we might as well go "Gulf States" again.

Play Northeast and Southwestern in all sports every year. That's what we have been dreaming of for the past 30 years right?
    1. A Gulf States Conference would be better for attendance than the current conference we find ourselves in. No one in the State of Louisiana cares about playing Charlotte, ODU, FIU, or FAU,

Nobody said that playing in an 8 or 9 team conference with a smaller footprint would mean playing Northeast or Southwestern, although playing them occasionally would boost our attendance numbers drastically. All politics are local.

The past 30 years have found us jumping from one sinking ship to another, The Big West, WAC and eventually this incarnation of CUSA. Thirty years of separation has been more like 30 years of singling ourselves out for ridicule. Tech has a long history of not playing well with others, especially in-state. For that we have been awarded with no press coverage, missed bowl opportunities, and growing resentment among our peers. No one in Louisiana outside of the Tech diehards even consider Tech to be above ULM, ULL, Northwestern or McNeese St. To add insult to injury, ULL has a larger Athletic Budget, More season ticket holders, and a burgeoning relationship with a local bowl game (NOLA BOWL). Do I disagree with our overall strategy? No, the WAC was a good call and CUSA was at the time a better option than the Sunbelt. I do however lament the growing attitude outside of Ruston that Tech is a small school full of snobs that would rather play someone nobody cares about than risk playing a local team out of fear of losing. So to be fair, the 30 years of dreaming has gotten us exactly nothing. We are no more prominent in 2019 then we were in 1988.

If we want local television and local papers to talk about Tech, we need to play a local FCS or FBS team every year. This would boost attendance and increase conversation across the state about Tech football.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

No thank you to local teams if you're talking about NLU.

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

Bring back Derrick Dooley as athletic directory or bring in Marty. Either way, the marketing will be problem solved.

With Timmy... er Tommy, we die a slow painful death.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

I'd have no problem with us playing ULL every year, but our playing ULM would only help them. It would do absolutely nothing for us. Our situation with attendance may be worsening, but it's already at a critical point over at ULM. If they can't turn things around very soon, they will be desperate. So desperate, in fact, that they may resort to something like trying to bullshit the Monroe community into voting for a tax to support ULM (which will never pass), or maybe dropping down to FCS, or just quitting football altogether. Our agreeing to schedule them would be a strategic error on our part, which is why I fully expect to see our AD do it.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    No thank you to local teams if you're talking about NLU.
    But you’re ok with Grambling?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    But you’re ok with Grambling?
    If we have to schedule an FCS, then yeah, I prefer Grambling over NLU.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

For everyone posting to this thread or reading this thread keep in mind the story in the first post is click bait. None of these scenarios is ever going to happen.

It's a typical story coming from a writer with Sun Belt ties who has an agenda. Nothing more.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post

No one in Louisiana outside of the Tech diehards even consider Tech to be above ULM, ULL, Northwestern or McNeese St.

I know you might be venting over the story in the first post of this thread. But see my previous post. It's just click bait from a writer with an agenda.

And read some of what you posted again. Do you really believe some of that? Also, how much do you get out of north Louisiana or out of state? I think you would be shocked just how different our brand is out of state or even in south Louisiana.

I spent more than 250 weeks out of state in the early part of my career. Even I was shocked at how differently we're viewed outside of north Louisiana. For the longest time we've had money problems, attendance problems, and leadership problems. But winning more than most over a long period of time in many sports overcomes a lot of negatives.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    If we have to schedule an FCS, then yeah, I prefer Grambling over NLU.
    NLU is not FCS.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Also, how much do you get out of north Louisiana or out of state? I think you would be shocked just how different our brand is out of state or even in south Louisiana.

I spent more than 250 weeks out of state in the early part of my career. Even I was shocked at how differently we're viewed outside of north Louisiana. For the longest time we've had money problems, attendance problems, and leadership problems. But winning more than most over a long period of time in many sports overcomes a lot of negatives.
    I agree, but our people don't take advantage of what we've been able to do over the past 30 years. Our biggest fail is not marketing to our graduates. Our second biggest fail is hiring a guy who has an SLC mentality. He has been given more to work with than any AD before him. He is KILLING our football and MBB programs.

The first Agreed Upon and Procedures Report that will reveal his shell game is about to be released. The numbers should reflect the horrible job he has done, but even if it takes one more year for the numbers to reveal his ineptness, we've seen it in attendance the past two years. It's time for his boss to demand that he does his job.

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    NLU is not FCS.
    Ah...sometimes my wicked sense of humor doesn't translate well.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Ah...sometimes my wicked sense of humor doesn't translate well.

I knew what you meant. It was a swipe at NLU. But the reality is they are in the Sunbelt, which is on a par with CUSA.

I’m not in favor of playing NLU every year. But if it’s Grambling/Southern vs. NLU/ULL, I’ll take the latter.

The truth is a lot of this board is afraid of what would happen if we were to play NLU/ULL right now. If we’re as dominate as we think we are it shouldn’t be an issue.

+ Reply to Thread