+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Art Briles

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Re: Art Briles

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    I didn’t really follow the Baylor situation that closely. How many rape convictions came out of that situation? And if Briles covered it up would that not have been obstruction, or he an accessory? How did he escape the legal system?
    https://deadspin.com/how-baylor-happened-1828372303

Great read on this.

Tyler Dummit was a young predator who should have never been a HC. It was a terrible hire to begin with. Done for publicity only. His offense is predatory and offensive, and I’m sure the family collected a good chunk of change from the university. I’m actually surprised that this didn’t get TMac fired.

Art Briles was a win at all costs coach. He brought in thugs and criminals that no other school in the country would take just to win. Then he proceeded to hide their criminal activity and cheat on their tests so they could play football.

Both are disgusting. Both should never coach again.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

With millions pouring in to Baylor football at the time with a $266 Million stadium, the pressure to win is very high.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Tyler and Art are not comparable cases. But both were fireable offenses.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

USM announced they will not hire Briles

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    What Tyler did was not excusable. It was horrible and a blemish on Tech that will last a while. What Briles did was MUCH worse. 50 rapes covered up vs. a 20+ year old coach having an affair with a player is not comparable. Saying that, we don't get through that by hiring a massive rape cover up artist. I wouldn't want to ever hire Summit for anything and I CERTAINLY wouldn't want to hire Briles. Briles needs to retire and go home with his money.
    I disagree. One issue involves interactions only between students, which is often difficult to police. Lots of he said/she said stuff, etc...The other issue involves paid faculty and the head coach of a department preying on someone's daughter who was clearly in a subservient position.

I guess some of you just see what you want to see.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Finally someone (the AD) made an intelligent decision at USM. The football coach made a pretty bizarre tweet defending his decision to hire Briles in the first place.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I disagree. One issue involves interactions only between students, which is often difficult to police. Lots of he said/she said stuff, etc...The other issue involves paid faculty and the head coach of a department preying on someone's daughter who was clearly in a subservient position.

Isn't that what you do, as well?

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Apparently Hopson was interviewing him without the AD’s permission? Idk Im just seeing some stuff pop up here.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

If the first statement were true you would be correct. The cover up at Baylor was much worse than the Summit affair at Tech. While they are both terrible, you will find few allies even among people who hate Tech who would agree with your assessment.

The Summit episode is a scarlet letter on the university. It's also the reason hiring someone like Art Briles would be a terrible look for us.

Tyler was in an inappropriate relationship. Immoral, yes, but it was a consensual relationship between two adults. I believe they are still in that relationship according to her facebook page.

He was immature and did not handle his job correctly. But a personal affair does not equal enabling rape. It gets you deservedly fired, of course. Probably removed his name from coaching a women’s team any time soon. But he didnt commit any crime.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Playing the devil's advocate...is 50+ rape cases merely a "lapse in judgment'"? If Briles had covered for one player, guilty of rape, hoping that player would benefit but instead, raped again, that would represent a lapse in judgment. In Briles' and Baylor's case it was systemic.

And while no one is perfect...some of us are much closer than others.
    Here's the more important question: is there any real evidence of cover up or of 50 rapes? There has been one rape conviction for any Baylor football player. There have been few, if any, charges brought at all. The only thing we've seen is a few attempts to go the civil route because it's easier to win a settlement than a conviction.

I'm not saying nothing was wrong at BU, but I am saying a lot of you are making judgments based on what a plaintiff lawyer and ESPN have said -- not based on anything you really know has been proven.

Briles failed to do his job correctly. He needed to be fired. I don't think I'd support hiring him somewhere else unless he made credible explanations about why some of the accusations should be rejected. But the big problem at Baylor was Ken Starr and his refusal to recognize the Obama admin's interpretations of Title IX. I have yet to see any credible evidence that Briles was actively trying to cover up rapes -- there's a lot of attempts to connect distant dots in the articles, but there are very few facts that they're actually hanging the story on. Trial by media doesn't impress me much.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    If the first statement were true you would be correct. The cover up at Baylor was much worse than the Summit affair at Tech. While they are both terrible, you will find few allies even among people who hate Tech who would agree with your assessment.

The Summit episode is a scarlet letter on the university. It's also the reason hiring someone like Art Briles would be a terrible look for us.
    You are 100% correct in your assessment! There is a reason this is the second job Briles didn't get "approved for". Same thing happened in the CFL. He needs to stay with his team in Italy.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    Tyler was in an inappropriate relationship. Immoral, yes, but it was a consensual relationship between two adults. I believe they are still in that relationship according to her facebook page.

He was immature and did not handle his job correctly. But a personal affair does not equal enabling rape. It gets you deservedly fired, of course. Probably removed his name from coaching a women’s team any time soon. But he didnt commit any crime.
    He got caught and was told to stop. He kept it up and got fired. That's not immaturity, that's stupidity. All the while he never stopped "witnessing" to the camera.

Some might argue that a coach having sex with a player is a form of rape.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    Here's the more important question: is there any real evidence of cover up or of 50 rapes? There has been one rape conviction for any Baylor football player. There have been few, if any, charges brought at all. The only thing we've seen is a few attempts to go the civil route because it's easier to win a settlement than a conviction.

I'm not saying nothing was wrong at BU, but I am saying a lot of you are making judgments based on what a plaintiff lawyer and ESPN have said -- not based on anything you really know has been proven.

Briles failed to do his job correctly. He needed to be fired. I don't think I'd support hiring him somewhere else unless he made credible explanations about why some of the accusations should be rejected. But the big problem at Baylor was Ken Starr and his refusal to recognize the Obama admin's interpretations of Title IX. I have yet to see any credible evidence that Briles was actively trying to cover up rapes -- there's a lot of attempts to connect distant dots in the articles, but there are very few facts that they're actually hanging the story on. Trial by media doesn't impress me much.
    I thought I saw recently that it was three, but I agree that based on the reports that is not many actual convictions. The whole crux of the scandal was that the fact that the allegations were covered up and prevented from getting that far. To Hogdawg's point, that lies at the feet of the police. If that were the end of the story then Art Briles and the Baylor admin wouldn't deserve the beating they have taken. The text messages prove that Briles knew (at least in some instances) that this was happening and didn't remove the players from the team or take any other action. He also had a habit of recruiting players that had previous legal issues.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

So if I'm understanding the logic here, if he shows up suddenly our players decide to become rapist?

+ Reply to Thread