+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh, What Could Have Been!

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Oh, What Could Have Been!

Kim got insulted, so what. The offer made to her was more than fair. She might’ve been a top notch recruiter but Tech lost Alana Beard because of Kim.

I have no ax to grind with Kim. I was friends with her and Randy. In fact, when I was a practicing CPA, Kim and Randy were clients, as were Leon and Nell Fortner, among others associated with the program.

Kim would never have achieved here what she has at Baylor. She was smart enough to realize that back then. She was never going to stay here, Reneau just gave her a convenient out.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    Since Leon retired for good the succeeding coaches have been Curt Bduke, Chris Long, Teresa Weatherspoon and now Brooke.
    Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    In Women's BB circles, LA Tech will always be known for 2 things: 1) An incredible 25-yr run at the top of the game, and 2) the school that foolishly ran off HALL OF FAME coach Kim Mulkey. You just can't make this stuff up.
    I guess everyone is forgetting about Tyler Summit

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post

I guess everyone is forgetting about Tyler Summit
    Great point. But I was trying not to drag LA Tech totally thru the mud. But yes, the point is LA Tech's administrators have been known to screw stuff up. And hiring 23-yr old Tyler Summit as head coach of the Lady Techsters was just another example in a long line of "mistakes". So, anybody that thinks Reneau didn't or couldn't screw up the Mulkey contract negotiation, well....they need to put away the crack pipe.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Great point. But I was trying not to drag LA Tech totally thru the mud. But yes, the point is LA Tech's administrators have been known to screw stuff up. And hiring 23-yr old Tyler Summit as head coach of the Lady Techsters was just another example in a long line of "mistakes". So, anybody that thinks Reneau didn't or couldn't screw up the Mulkey contract negotiation, well....they need to put away the crack pipe.
    We all agree on Summit.

But, you pigtails' supporters are the ones needing to put something away.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

None of this matters anymore. It is done...... RECRUITING is now the problem and, for the life of me, I can't understand why a program like ours cannot out recruit CUSA teams. It should be us and ODU battling it out for the best recruits in conference. It isn't even about "on the court" coaching. It is about recruiting.... We can't out recruit top 20 programs, but we could surely out recruit Rice...... That is all I am going to say.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    None of this matters anymore. It is done...... RECRUITING is now the problem and, for the life of me, I can't understand why a program like ours cannot out recruit CUSA teams. It should be us and ODU battling it out for the best recruits in conference. It isn't even about "on the court" coaching. It is about recruiting.... We can't out recruit top 20 programs, but we could surely out recruit Rice...... That is all I am going to say.
    Legit point!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Out recruit Rice that was dominant in CUSA...and all they got was a 12th seed? Apparently, Rice can't out recruit top 40 teams.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Out recruit Rice that was dominant in CUSA...and all they got was a 12th seed? Apparently, Rice can't out recruit top 40 teams.
    Yes, and we can't seem to out recruit them. That is a starting point and we, at least, need to get there quickly. Plus, I think Rice deserved a 8 seed - that is not the point, though.

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Playing the "what could have been" game with another Tech hiring decision:

Missouri State's ladies team is in the sweet 16, having upset DePaul and then beat #13 Iowa Stats in the NCAA tournament. They beat us twice in 2018 and have 11 freshmen and sophomores on this year's team with only one senior.

Their head coach was Tech's other finalist in 2005 when Chris Long was picked for the job. Who is she?

Kellie Jolly Harper, who played for Pat Summit at Tennessee.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm continually astounded as to how far the "proud" Lady Techster network of former coaches, players, alumni and administrators have let the program fall. This just doesn't happen at most schools....at least not like this. It's almost as if when Kim Mulkey left for the Baylor job, everyone else baled on the program too. Including Leon Barmore. Yeah, I know that Leon wanted to retire at age 57 or 58, but sometimes you gotta put in a little extra time to take care of business.

The Lady Techsters truly have a proud history. They own 3 national championships, have made 13 Final Four appearances, produced 3 Wade Trophy winners, 5 Olympic medalists, 16 All-Americans, 21 WNBA players and they have 8 members in the Women's BB Hall of Fame. They also still have the 3rd best all-time winning percentage in NCAA history. More importantly, that's a lot of depth in the Lady Techster "alumni ranks"...enough to protect the program going forward for many years to come. You would think that these alumni of former players & coaches would do ANYTHING to protect this wonderful legacy. But unfortunately, they haven't.

Former Head Coach Sonja Hogg owns two of those NC's with the Lady Techsters, and was inducted into the Women's BB Hall of Fame back in 2009. Where is she now? Where are those 16 All-Americans, and 21 WNBA players? And the 8 members of the Women's BB Hall of Fame? Yeah, I know some make "guest appearances" every few years or so.....but why aren't any of them looking out for the program? It's THEIR legacy.
    Did you see the broadcasters point out Magic Johnson at the game tonight. They said whenever there was a big game , he is there. If he is not too important to support his alma mater, then our alum have no excuse.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Did you see the broadcasters point out Magic Johnson at the game tonight. They said whenever there was a big game , he is there. If he is not too important to support his alma mater, then our alum have no excuse.
    I agree all of our alum should support TECH- I just am confused by the thought that we have any "big" games. We aren't anywhere near having a "big" game at this point. Fans will be coming out of the woodwork to say they have always been there if we ever have a winning program. We just don't have that.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Can't compare wbb to basketball and the fan support amongst famous alums & grads

Wbb is such an quirky counter culture for a better term that it doesn't cross over to the main stream for support

Our famous grads and alums do tend to support the men's side - probably not as much as we would like but there is support there as evidenced by the contributions by Karl and Paul and smaller contributions by others
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

What ever happened to Kim's $25,000 donation that she said she would make for something to honor Leon at the TAC?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Can't compare wbb to basketball and the fan support amongst famous alums & grads

Wbb is such an quirky counter culture for a better term that it doesn't cross over to the main stream for support

Our famous grads and alums do tend to support the men's side - probably not as much as we would like but there is support there as evidenced by the contributions by Karl and Paul and smaller contributions by others
    I agree that you can’t compare the 2 sports. I definitely wouldn’t put it on our former athletes to provide the same support as Magic. We just don’t hear about any support from former female athletes. I may not be paying attention to the right sources, but I haven’t seen it.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I agree that you can’t compare the 2 sports. I definitely wouldn’t put it on our former athletes to provide the same support as Magic. We just don’t hear about any support from former female athletes. I may not be paying attention to the right sources, but I haven’t seen it.
    There is no money in wbb -

Except for Mulkey and Spoon - none have really made big $$$

I remember Venus Lacy giving back $25,000 in the early 90's off one of her overseas contracts

Most are coaching hs or low level college ball if they are still in the game - Amber Obaze Ford comes to mind

I don't even know what Cheryl is doing and I see Daryll quite often around the parish
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

+ Reply to Thread