+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Tornado damage Ruston/LaTech

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: Tornado damage Ruston/LaTech

I'm surprised that Tech hasn't bought the land across from the TAC. It would be great for athletic expansion.
    IMG_20190426_145845_01.jpg

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    We don't know yet. But some of what was said yesterday indicated that the concrete that fell onto the stands acted like a wrecking ball. There is damage to the concrete structure of stadium. Is that worth fixing if it means problems down the road that means constant upkeep for decades to come.
    According to information from our staff used on the Rice broadcast, the structure has been condemned.

Also mentioned was that the WKU series will be played at the Ruston High stadium.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    According to information from our staff used on the Rice broadcast, the structure has been condemned.

Also mentioned was that the WKU series will be played at the Ruston High stadium.
    I thought Ruston High played in the city rec park on the south end of Ruston. Isn't all of that still under construction for the new, huge city rec project?

I guess more to the point is, where am I supposed to go for next weekend's games?

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    I thought Ruston High played in the city rec park on the south end of Ruston. Isn't all of that still under construction for the new, huge city rec project?

I guess more to the point is, where am I supposed to go for next weekend's games?
    1) They do.
    2) It was the last time I was in Ruston.
    3) Norfolk. Tech doesn't play at home again until two weeks from tonight.

Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough

I haven’t read all the post on here nor will I. A lot of the concrete roof is gone. I worked at Tech for almost 35 years and that concrete has been deteriorating for a long time. That being said I see no way that they cannot replace it all.
    Now that being said the most important thing is all the people that have lost everything. The pictures you have seen on the news do not even to begin to show the just how bad it is. The Barnett Springs area is total devastation. Yes it’s sad what has happened to the sports complexes but in no way is that as bad as to the families that have lost everything.Tech Athletics is on the bottom of the list . Shane Griffin

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Darbonnedawg View Post
    I haven’t read all the post on here nor will I. A lot of the concrete roof is gone. I worked at Tech for almost 35 years and that concrete has been deteriorating for a long time. That being said I see no way that they cannot replace it all.
    Now that being said the most important thing is all the people that have lost everything. The pictures you have seen on the news do not even to begin to show the just how bad it is. The Barnett Springs area is total devastation. Yes it’s sad what has happened to the sports complexes but in no way is that as bad as to the families that have lost everything.Tech Athletics is on the bottom of the list . Shane Griffin
    Shane: I think we all agree that the most important thing is the people who were impacted. At the same time please don't take offense if we're discussing Tech athletics or the facilities impacted.

Both the baseball and softball seasons are moving forward. The state is going to move forward with its assessments of Tech's facilities, and Tech officials are going to have to make decisions in a relatively short period of time that will impact Tech athletics for decades to come. Many will have an opinion on it.

At the same time, you might have been impacted by this in so many ways. Directly or indirectly. I would encourage you to comment or at least read this board and keep us with Tech athletics, as well. I was impacted by both 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina. I made a mistake in the days and weeks after Katrina by not bringing more normalcy into my life. It was a dramatic help when I did.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Overwhelmed by Support! Tech students coming through. From TMAC's Twitter feed:

Last edited by The Historian; 04-28-2019 at 08:10 AM.

Clean up effort volunteers this morning meeting at JAS. From Dr. Guice's Twitter feed:

Last edited by The Historian; 04-28-2019 at 08:11 AM.

From the Tech softball page. Senior Weekend. The picture says it all.

Last edited by The Historian; 04-28-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

What a turnout for the work day today! It was/is amazing to see all of the support the campus and city have. Right now, it is kind of slow going because the power lines are down, the trucks are working trying to get power restored, and debris is everywhere. It is awesome to see the students, alumni, and community come together to help each other. I had seen the pictures of the baseball complex, but hadn't realized most of the apartments around there were damaged in some way- either windows out, the roof, etc. That said, there is nothing wrong with moving on- that's what you have to do. We all should be helping where we can, but life goes on- and sports is a part of that.

According to Mayor Walker this morning the state fire marshal's office and city inspectors had conducted 1,283 inspections. About 70 of those were for trees down on property but not impacting structures. The other 1,200+ are structure inspections. Those numbers show the magnitude of the damage.

No one on this thread has downplayed the impact on Ruston and its residents. But the decisions that Tech has to make regarding facilities in very quick order will impact Tech athletics for decades to come. It is imperative that the right decisions be made, but I don't have full confidence for those in power to make all of the right decisions.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Shane: I think we all agree that the most important thing is the people who were impacted. At the same time please don't take offense if we're discussing Tech athletics or the facilities impacted.

Both the baseball and softball seasons are moving forward. The state is going to move forward with its assessments of Tech's facilities, and Tech officials are going to have to make decisions in a relatively short period of time that will impact Tech athletics for decades to come. Many will have an opinion on it.

At the same time, you might have been impacted by this in so many ways. Directly or indirectly. I would encourage you to comment or at least read this board and keep us with Tech athletics, as well. I was impacted by both 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina. I made a mistake in the days and weeks after Katrina by not bringing more normalcy into my life. It was a dramatic help when I did.
    We got DRILLED. We had one of the most beautiful tracts of land in Ruston. 8 acres half a mile from TECH. Almost every square inch of it impacted, but thankfully the least impacted was the home. I take no offense in discussions of the new park. My family is alive and well and property can be replaced and improved. Y’all figure it out, as long as you get rid of the dumbass lightweight AD.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post

The RHS ballpark is south of town where the new complex is being completed. I'd say Tech wants to play/practice there due to the fact they have a brand new all-turf field (turf mound).

The University of West Monroe played there last month.
    At the time we had to enter the complex from the Farmerville Street side. The US167 entrance (across from the Ruston Country Club) was closed at the time until the next entry is completed.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

At the same time please don't take offense if we're discussing Tech athletics or the facilities impacted.
    My home is in a neighborhood across the street from the Tech campus where Jenkins/McFarland used to be. My home lost some shingles, but was otherwise left unscathed. My neighbors were not so fortunate. The homes of every neighbor contiguous to my property received massive damage. There is no other way to put it; our neighborhood was demolished.

But you certainly owe us no apology for being concerned about Louisiana Tech. I can speak for our entire neighborhood. We have nothing but praise for how Ruston, Louisiana Tech, Lincoln Parish, and even parishes contiguous to Lincoln Parish have handled this disaster. The tornado hit our neighborhood at 1:52 a.m. (Yes, I took time to check the time when we first heard the tornado) I will post pictures later if you care to see them, but you literally could not tell where the roads were because they were covered with so many trees. There was no way in or out without literally climbing over the debris. At places, the debris was six feet or more on the roads. There was no way in for emergency vehicles to get to us. Because the tornado intensified and wiped out Ruston near the interstate, and we were tucked away, I doubt emergency workers even knew to come.

By 3:15, the first volunteers from the city and Tech (all students) started to show up. By daybreak and army of citizens and students had climbed over the debris to get to us. Most were carrying chain saws. By noon a volunteer group from Homer had come in with logging equipment and cleared a path through the debris so vehicles could enter our neighborhood. By the end of the day hundreds of people had brought in food, water, and muscle.

A promenent poster/administrator on this board brought us a generator.

So, I want all of you to know that I have no doubt that everybody was concerned about us; that everybody was willing to help with money, time, muscle, equipment, and expertise. We do not feel the least bit unloved nor neglected. In fact, we are overwhelmed by the love the community has shown us. I have never felt more loved nor more cared for than I do right now. I think all of you have enough love to share with us and your alma mater.

Thank all of you.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

That's amazing. Thank you for sharing.

+ Reply to Thread