+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Tornado damage Ruston/LaTech

Big Dog dawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud of dawg1984's Avatar

Re: Tornado damage Ruston/LaTech

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    It's been discussed on campus for the past 10 years. It's the answer, and everyone knows it. But a couple of administrators on Tech's campus have been against it, because it infringes on the greenspace/intramural fields that have been discussed for that space for the last 25 years.
    Given the location of student housing and the intramural complex, it makes more sense to have the green space/intramural fields where the baseball/softball/soccer fields are located. I can understand the resistance to relocate the athletic fields prior to this catastrophe. Now, though, Tech has the opportunity to build a state of the art complex and all that would be required is to demolish the remaining dorms across the railroad tracks.

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

At this point I don’t think it really matters where Tech plays it’s remaining home games. No matter where it is, it isn’t home. Just like this year, the Ruston High field doesn’t exactly have a great home field aura about it as far as winning big games goes. Ruston was #6 hosting #11 seed and lost 2 of 2 in a 3 games series to be eliminated in the state playoffs. Watching both my son’s play at Ruston some years ago it was the same thing. In general Ruston teams underachieve, so Tech fits in quite comfortably.

In addition up until recently the Dawgs were a very good road team. We really can’t say that any more and we’ve got several more challenges staring us right in the face. Who we are at this point game by game is a coin flip. Our team identity has been literally blown in the wind. I truly hope we find our footing before we get buried by bad things continuing to happen.

I’m all in for building a new era field sports complex. It makes perfect sense to me to level the western region of old dorms and start anew.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    At this point I don’t think it really matters where Tech plays it’s remaining home games. No matter where it is, it isn’t home. Just like this year, the Ruston High field doesn’t exactly have a great home field aura about it as far as winning big games goes. Ruston was #6 hosting #11 seed and lost 2 of 2 in a 3 games series to be eliminated in the state playoffs. Watching both my son’s play at Ruston some years ago it was the same thing. In general Ruston teams underachieve, so Tech fits in quite comfortably.

In addition up until recently the Dawgs were a very good road team. We really can’t say that any more and we’ve got several more challenges staring us right in the face. Who we are at this point game by game is a coin flip. Our team identity has been literally blown in the wind. I truly hope we find our footing before we get buried by bad things continuing to happen.

I’m all in for building a new era field sports complex. It makes perfect sense to me to level the western region of old dorms and start anew.
    Yes, I'd like to see them play again this year in Ruston, but it won't be the same if not at JC Love. My hope is that we can swap out next year's series with WKU.

I believe building from scratch would be much faster than a demolition of JC Love then building from scratch.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    My home is in a neighborhood across the street from the Tech campus where Jenkins/McFarland used to be. My home lost some shingles, but was otherwise left unscathed. My neighbors were not so fortunate. The homes of every neighbor contiguous to my property received massive damage. There is no other way to put it; our neighborhood was demolished.

But you certainly owe us no apology for being concerned about Louisiana Tech. I can speak for our entire neighborhood. We have nothing but praise for how Ruston, Louisiana Tech, Lincoln Parish, and even parishes contiguous to Lincoln Parish have handled this disaster. The tornado hit our neighborhood at 1:52 a.m. (Yes, I took time to check the time when we first heard the tornado) I will post pictures later if you care to see them, but you literally could not tell where the roads were because they were covered with so many trees. There was no way in or out without literally climbing over the debris. At places, the debris was six feet or more on the roads. There was no way in for emergency vehicles to get to us. Because the tornado intensified and wiped out Ruston near the interstate, and we were tucked away, I doubt emergency workers even knew to come.

By 3:15, the first volunteers from the city and Tech (all students) started to show up. By daybreak and army of citizens and students had climbed over the debris to get to us. Most were carrying chain saws. By noon a volunteer group from Homer had come in with logging equipment and cleared a path through the debris so vehicles could enter our neighborhood. By the end of the day hundreds of people had brought in food, water, and muscle.

A promenent poster/administrator on this board brought us a generator.

So, I want all of you to know that I have no doubt that everybody was concerned about us; that everybody was willing to help with money, time, muscle, equipment, and expertise. We do not feel the least bit unloved nor neglected. In fact, we are overwhelmed by the love the community has shown us. I have never felt more loved nor more cared for than I do right now. I think all of you have enough love to share with us and your alma mater.

Thank all of you.
    Great post, Sooner.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

In that cult favorite, and surprisingly very good movie "Starman" the alien is asked what he thinks of Earthlings, humans. He says: "you are at your best, when things are at their worst."

That sums of the human spirit that times like this in Ruston bring out.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhere on this board I read the grandstand had already been condemned. And I heard someone say it on Sportstalk yesterday afternoon. But I haven't heard or read that from a Tech official. So my question is, is it true the grandstand has been condemned and who/when was that made public?

No agenda, just want to know what the situation is.

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

Looks like gonna play the WKU series at ULM. Practice at RHS not that big of deal, little inconvenient but nothing that should disrupt the teams ability to prepare. Hopefully we get back to winning baseball tonight. Move the chains, move the chains, score more points!!

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

I have been told that the mayor said in his fireside chat this morning that 100% of the power has been restored to Ruston. I guess he is counting my generator. ;-). All kidding aside, I am sure it will be awhile before power can be safely restored in our neighborhood.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    Somewhere on this board I read the grandstand had already been condemned. And I heard someone say it on Sportstalk yesterday afternoon. But I haven't heard or read that from a Tech official. So my question is, is it true the grandstand has been condemned and who/when was that made public?

No agenda, just want to know what the situation is.
    I haven't seen anything official from Tech, but our baseball and softball staffs have been openly talking about it. Coach Montgomery was on the morning drive show on 97.7 yesterday and said that baseball, softball, and soccer had all been deemed a total loss.

I picked up on part but not all of it. Unfortunately, 97.7 doesn't have the ability to stream or archive shows right now. So I can't tell you exactly what was said.

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Not that I have any say, but I’m not in favor of playing our remaining games at ULM. Ruston is our home town so if its possible to play at the Ruston High field then that’s what I’d rather see happen. I know it’s not likely to be to the standard of the Tech field or even the ULM field but it is Ruston ground. I also have no idea how fair a field it would be for college players as far as outfield distances go. Meaning, I’m not interested in seeing some sort of home run derby competition. The last thing is that I hope by then the series really matters and that we’re not just going through the motions to end the year.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Yes, I'd like to see them play again this year in Ruston, but it won't be the same if not at JC Love. My hope is that we can swap out next year's series with WKU.

I believe building from scratch would be much faster than a demolition of JC Love then building from scratch.
    Will Tech be able to afford new facilities? What is the range insurance will pay?

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    I have been told that the mayor said in his fireside chat this morning that 100% of the power has been restored to Ruston. I guess he is counting my generator. ;-). All kidding aside, I am sure it will be awhile before power can be safely restored in our neighborhood.
    Does Ruston still have its own Ruston owned plant and system?

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

@FletchWorldwide: Burroughs: The Love Shack is probably going to have to be replaced. It's blocked off right now to everyone. Locker rooms and offices were cleaned out yesterday. We're grateful to use Ruston High as our practice facility for the rest of the season.

Burroughs: It's not a done deal, but Coach Federico at @ULM_BSB reached out to let us host Western Kentucky at their stadium. It's 95% done, but not quite yet.

Burroughs: They say adversity reveals character. Grant Jones is a young man that has only had one at bat and doesn't travel with us. He took it upon himself to get the valuables out of the locker room to keep in a safe place, and move everyone's cars.

Fletch has some more quotes on his Twitter

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    @FletchWorldwide: Burroughs: The Love Shack is probably going to have to be replaced. It's blocked off right now to everyone. Locker rooms and offices were cleaned out yesterday. We're grateful to use Ruston High as our practice facility for the rest of the season.

Burroughs: It's not a done deal, but Coach Federico at @ULM_BSB reached out to let us host Western Kentucky at their stadium. It's 95% done, but not quite yet.

Burroughs: They say adversity reveals character. Grant Jones is a young man that has only had one at bat and doesn't travel with us. He took it upon himself to get the valuables out of the locker room to keep in a safe place, and move everyone's cars.

Fletch has some more quotes on his Twitter
    https://twitter.com/FletchWorldWide

+ Reply to Thread