+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Kentucky Derby

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

The Kentucky Derby

I love the ponies! Have been a thoroughbred horse racing fan my whole life. My grandpa took my brother and I out to the old Jefferson Downs, where Lafreniere Park is now, when we were knee high to a midget. Later I would accompany my dad and my Aunt Elaine to the track. My dad had a saying, "Hope I break even, I could use the money."

Anyway...I am disappointed in the reaction of the connections of Maximum Security. The stewards made the right call, based on the rules. Bad enough they acted like spoiled babies, whining and complaining and pulling their horse from the Preakness and I suppose, the Belmont as well, but now...filing a lawsuit??? They have sunk to an all-time low! Maximum Security is a wonderful colt. He is a beautiful specimen and a damn good racehorse. Too bad his human handlers have decided to be slugs and enlist the services of scumbag lawyers.

Now...exactly what do they hope to accomplish? Their only recourse is to take their grievances to the Kentucky Racing Association, which they already have filing an appeal, which was reviewed and then rejected. In case you did not know, there is no national organization overseeing horse racing. Each state governs its own tracks and own racing. So, the HIGHEST authority with jurisdiction in such a lawsuit is the Kentucky Racing Association. It is a private organization, with bylaws. A lawsuit, I assume, would be filed in a public court. What then? Will a judge or a jury be sought to decide this matter? Expert witnesses would be called, which would be professional, certified, and licensed racing stewards, all of whom are beholden to the Kentucky Racing Association for their livelihood. And! such a panel was just convened to review Saturday's race, and the decision, and it was upheld.

Yes, I know, horse racing is a $billion industry and big bucks are at stake. But, Maximum Security has already proven himself. He is a wonderful horse with more wins in his future and exorbitant stud fees soon to follow. Move on!

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: The Kentucky Derby

Three million dollars. They're kinda dumb NOT to file a lawsuit.

But it would be pretty difficult to find a neutral jury.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

I grew up on a horse ranch. This type of foul is called all the time, at any track on any given day. It’s the right call, as much as, it sucks for the horse. I agree the owners are just reaching now.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

The Preakness has taken a beating in this. A rematch of Max Security and Country House would have been a compelling story line. Even just Country House would have at least left the "will there be a triple crown?" question in tact. Now, it's just another race--without even a horse that the average semi-fan could name.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Yep! Pimlico is paying the price. Max Security is built for a race/course like the Preakness. With its tight turns it favors a front-runner, and I think he would have won it.

Point Given lost in the Kentucky Derby as a beaten favorite, the fault of the jockey Gary Stephens, who by his own admission turned in a amateur ride. Different circumstances, but the horse and his connections didn't pout, instead they used the disappointment as motivation and PG went on to sweep the Preakness, Belmont, Haskell, and Travers stakes and earn Horse of the Year honors.

Here's his Belmont Stakes that year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pic4Oj1G0GE

+ Reply to Thread