Quote Originally Posted by zharkins View Post
I was trying to not have a position and simply offer perspective. Personally, I would not have extended the contract, but at the same time, he would not be on a hot seat either. The truth is, if we ever have MTSU's recent success, he will be out the door anyway, making $3 million a year like Kermit Davis. So basically you have to decide, have we been close enough to breaking through to keep giving this guy a chance, or do we blow it up, have 10 guys transfer out, hire a brand new coach at the same pay, start from literal scratch, and roll the dice on the next 5 years with an unproven coach. I would certainly lean much more toward the former than the latter, especially given the unusual losses of Joniah, Jean, and Christon over the last two seasons.
We should be gearing up to blow it up in 2 years. If he isn't in the top 4 this year, hell have a bad year the year after that, too many pieces leaving. So that will leave us with 4 unacceptable bad seasons in a row. Instead we are locked in further.

Tommy is betting his career on Konkol IMO. I don't get it.

BTW "blowing it up" isnt as bad in bball as other sports. The flip side of college free agency is teams can re-load in 1-2 years. But I agree firing him after last season was not really an option even without the prior extension.