+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Pelicans get #1 Draft Pick

  1. #1
    Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    McKinney, TX & Franklin, TN
    Posts
    31,102

    Pelicans get #1 Draft Pick

    I don't know if many of you Louisiana guys are fans of the NBA's New Orleans Pelicans, but if not, you may become one shortly. Last night, the Pelicans shocked NBA fans and followers everywhere by winning the 2019 draft lottery, and thereby gaining the #1 overall draft pick this year. This of course, gives the Pelicans the right to draft Duke's All-World Zion Williamson (6'7, 285) in the upcoming NBA draft. Furthermore, this probably improved the Pels chances of quelling the trade demands of Anthony Davis, the Pels' only previous overall #1 draft choice (in 2012).

    IMO, this could change everything for the New Orleans Pelicans. For those of you who don't know, Zion is only 18-yrs old, and dominated his college opponents this past season, winning college basketball's coveted Naismith Award, for best college player. He appears to be a "once in a decade" pick, and one of the most acclaimed prospects in league history. He's drawing almost as much draft attention as LeBron James did back in 2003 when he skipped college and went straight to the NBA.

    Zion is truly a difference-maker that an ownership group can build a franchise around. And he's headed to New Orleans.

    What say you?

    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/s...a-lottery.html

  2. #2
    Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    18,806

    Re: Pelicans get #1 Draft Pick

    Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I don't know if many of you Louisiana guys are fans of the NBA's New Orleans Pelicans, but if not, you may become one shortly. Last night, the Pelicans shocked NBA fans and followers everywhere by winning the 2019 draft lottery, and thereby gaining the #1 overall draft pick this year. This of course, gives the Pelicans the right to draft Duke's All-World Zion Williamson (6'7, 285) in the upcoming NBA draft. Furthermore, this probably improved the Pels chances of quelling the trade demands of Anthony Davis, the Pels' only previous overall #1 draft choice (in 2012).

    IMO, this could change everything for the New Orleans Pelicans. For those of you who don't know, Zion is only 18-yrs old, and dominated his college opponents this past season, winning college basketball's coveted Naismith Award, for best college player. He appears to be a "once in a decade" pick, and one of the most acclaimed prospects in league history. He's drawing almost as much draft attention as LeBron James did back in 2003 when he skipped college and went straight to the NBA.

    Zion is truly a difference-maker that an ownership group can build a franchise around. And he's headed to New Orleans.

    What say you?

    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/s...a-lottery.html
    I love the video of the Ticket office after it was announced. Their job just got easier!

  3. #3
    2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Shreevesburg
    Posts
    26,257

    Re: Pelicans get #1 Draft Pick

    Wonder what Anthony Davis has been thinking.

  4. #4
    Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Franklin Parish
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: Pelicans get #1 Draft Pick

    If AD was smart he would sign a super-max (which nobody else can offer) and apologize to the fan base for being a whiny baby. I quit watching the Pels when it became apparent to me that Del Demps was an idiot who planned to run the organization in the ground but now that they have Griff. I am starting to turn. Zion and AD are the two hottest prospects to come out of the NBA draft since LBron. For once the right people are in place to make something of it.

  5. #5
    Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,455

    Re: Pelicans get #1 Draft Pick

    Scroll down in the article for the behind the scenes view from the secure room when the lottery balls actually dropped! I love Gentry's reaction....(Expletive) yeah!!!


    https://www.nola.com/pelicans/2019/0...no-1-pick.html

  6. #6
    Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,455

    Re: Pelicans get #1 Draft Pick

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Wonder what Anthony Davis has been thinking.
    Last night, the NBC affiliate in New Orleans spoke to a source close to him who said "nothing's changed". He still wants out.

  7. #7
    Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    McKinney, TX & Franklin, TN
    Posts
    31,102

    Re: Pelicans get #1 Draft Pick

    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Last night, the NBC affiliate in New Orleans spoke to a source close to him who said "nothing's changed". He still wants out.
    He's an idiot. AD has no clue how the franchise in New Orleans just because one of the top in the NBA. All eyes are going to be on the Pelicans for the next few years. He should want to be a part of that. It's an opportunity for him to LEAD his team to greatness. Then again, maybe he's just not the "leader" type.

    Can you imagine another player in Cleveland or Miami (we'll leave LA out of it. LOL!) saying, "nah...I don't want to play with LeBron James".

    If AD insists on leaving, maybe the Pelicans can trade him for a couple of really good players to accommodate Zion.

  8. #8
    Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,455

    Re: Pelicans get #1 Draft Pick

    Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    If AD was smart he would sign a super-max (which nobody else can offer) and apologize to the fan base for being a whiny baby. I quit watching the Pels when it became apparent to me that Del Demps was an idiot who planned to run the organization in the ground but now that they have Griff. I am starting to turn. Zion and AD are the two hottest prospects to come out of the NBA draft since LBron. For once the right people are in place to make something of it.
    Agreed. I never thought Gayle Benson could get David Griffin, of all people, to take the Pelican's GM job. As he said, he made outrageous demands of her and she actually met them.

    He appears to be on the road to putting together a talented front-office staff, and the entire organization will be free of Mickey Loomis and the Saints leadership having to make decisions about the Pelicans, who became second-class citizens on Airline Drive.

    Regarding Anthony Davis: He and his agent looked idiotic during the season with the mid-season trade demand that completely backfired. Now they look like complete idiotic jackasses. The question is: Does Anthony Davis have the character to step to the plate to do what I think everyone knows he should do at this point and work his way back into the Pelican's organization? Somehow I doubt it. Too much pride!
    Last edited by The Historian; 05-15-2019 at 03:08 PM.

  9. #9
    Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    48,352

    Re: Pelicans get #1 Draft Pick

    Gayle Benson will be the key in this signing personnel chess match. And I think she will prove very adequate.

  10. #10
    Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    30,574

    Re: Pelicans get #1 Draft Pick

    I haven't been a fan of the NBA since Karl Malone retired. But, I could be again if the Pelicans can pull off keeping AD, and he gets his head on straight, and they find another CP3 to play point, along with Zion coming in.

  11. #11
    Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Franklin Parish
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: Pelicans get #1 Draft Pick

    Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Gayle Benson will be the key in this signing personnel chess match. And I think she will prove very adequate.
    Gayle Benson has a much more personal attachment to the Pelicans than she does the Saints. I mean this by the fact that she and her husband bought the team together. She chose the colors and the name and has been behind the scenes a lot more there than across the street. While Tom saw it as an excellent business opportunity, she had been invested from the start. Now that she is the controlling owner, there is no telling what they can do.

  12. #12
    Champ LT is just really niceLT is just really niceLT is just really niceLT is just really niceLT is just really niceLT is just really niceLT is just really niceLT is just really niceLT is just really niceLT is just really niceLT is just really nice
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,356

    Re: Pelicans get #1 Draft Pick

    538 has Jaxson Hayes with the 4th highest upside in the draft. If that's true, we fleeced the Hawks.

  13. #13
    Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nev
    Posts
    5,400

    Re: Pelicans get #1 Draft Pick

    The Pelicans have been getting a ton of great press for their handling of the AD trade and the draft. David Griffin has already earned his paycheck.

    This AD trade looks like the NBA equivalent of the Hershel Walker trade... (I stole that from Jeff Duncan on Twitter).

  14. #14
    Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    48,352

    Re: Pelicans get #1 Draft Pick

    Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    538 has Jaxson Hayes with the 4th highest upside in the draft. If that's true, we fleeced the Hawks.
    Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    The Pelicans have been getting a ton of great press for their handling of the AD trade and the draft. David Griffin has already earned his paycheck.

    This AD trade looks like the NBA equivalent of the Hershel Walker trade... (I stole that from Jeff Duncan on Twitter).
    I love screwing Atlanta and their fans in football and BBall!! New Orleans had an A+ draft and trades that will put them in contention for years to come.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts