+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NCAA Rule Changes

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Re: NCAA Rule Changes

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    After watching the finals last night, I have to say - I'm not really sure what the point of the offensive interference foul is. What does that accomplish? Why would that be a rule?
    Good question. I suspect it is just a uniformity issue. Clearly, nobody wants defensive interference. Scoring would be rare, because any ball that touched the rim would be swatted away. Probably also is a remnant of the no dunking rule from the late 60’s which was to keep the bigs from taking over the game.

I still like the rule, but I am a short old fart.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    Good question. I suspect it is just a uniformity issue. Clearly, nobody wants defensive interference. Scoring would be rare, because any ball that touched the rim would be swatted away. Probably also is a remnant of the no dunking rule from the late 60’s which was to keep the bigs from taking over the game.

I still like the rule, but I am a short old fart.
    I assume it has something to do with balancing out goal-tending. Like, if the D can't touch the ball under X circumstances, neither should the offense. Quick google search gave me something about Wilt Chamberlain's teammates just throwing up trash for him to throw down, but alley-oops are (and should be) legal. On the broadcast they said that David Stern used to lobby for the international rule which says the ball is live (again) once it's touched the rim. I'm not sure why anyone would ever have opposed that, but I'll admit there could be some reason I'm missing.

I feel the same way about off-sides in soccer and hockey - I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to just let the natural consequences play out without having the rule.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    In the 70's into the 80's teams were playing REAL basketball. The playground crap on display now "your use!" sucks.
    I quite agree. I lost interest in basketball when they went with the old playground rules. Why not just play half court? I liked when you shot every foul and penalty meant one and one (make the first and then you get another). Of course the NBA was three to make two and two to make one. They hardly call "too many steps" (travelling/walking) when driving toward the basket. And now someone wants to give another person foul before fouling out. If there is no penalty for a foul then all you do is put some goon in to foul any one driving toward the basket.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post

Other proposal
    • The panel approved a proposal where players will be assessed a technical foul should they use derogatory language about an opponent’s race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identify, sexual orientation or disability.
    • Coaches will be allowed to call live-ball timeouts in the last two minutes of the second half and the last two minutes of any overtime periods. Previously, coaches weren’t allowed to call any live-ball timeouts during the game.
    So what is sexual disability?

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    [/LIST]So what is sexual disability?
    I think they should have put an Oxford Comma there

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

[/LIST]So what is sexual disability?
    Priapism?

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

So what is sexual disability?
    conservatism

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    See I differ on fouls -

I think there needs to be improvement in officiating with an official czar in charge of all officials in D1 basketball - not conference offices

Call a travel a travel, a charge a charge, an armbar an armbar etal

Reign in the gray areas

Consistent, quality officiating will solve alot of these problems - along with proper interpretation of the rules

And I think it will improve the offensive quality of play - in the early 70's teams were avg more pts per game than they are now without a shot clock - I want THAT ballgame in 2020
    The defensive foul calls when a defender jumps straight up and the offensive player jumps into the defender drive me nuts.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    The defensive foul calls when a defender jumps straight up and the offensive player jumps into the defender drive me nuts.
    I hate the shooter jumping into the defender to draw a foul. Should be a charge

+ Reply to Thread