+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Republicans Don't Understand Democrats—And Democrats Don't Understand Republicans

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Republicans Don't Understand Democrats—And Democrats Don't Understand Republicans

Interesting article in the Atlantic:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...=pocket-newtab

I thought this was particularly interesting:
    "Perhaps because institutions of higher learning tend to be dominated by liberals, Republicans who have gone to college are not more likely to caricature their ideological adversaries than those who dropped out of high school. But among Democrats, education seems to make the problem much worse. Democrats who have a high-school degree suffer from a greater perception gap than those who don’t. Democrats who went to college harbor greater misunderstandings than those who didn’t. And those with a postgrad degree have a way more skewed view of Republicans than anybody else."

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Republicans Don't Understand Democrats—And Democrats Don't Understand Republicans

The longer the indoctrination, the less you question it.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Re: Republicans Don't Understand Democrats—And Democrats Don't Understand Republicans

Would you agree that more educated people tend to read more news?

If so, then it seems like the news media is mostly responsible for the “perception gap” rather than the educational system.

I could probably count on one hand the number of times either “Republican” or “Democrat” was mentioned by a teacher, and that includes law school.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I can’t say that I remember Rep or Dem being mentioned in class, but I had very few professors who taught without letting us know their political leanings. Most to the far left, except in the business school. I was at Tech in early 2000’s so I can’t speak to before or after that.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I can’t say that I remember Rep or Dem being mentioned in class, but I had very few professors who taught without letting us know their political leanings. Most to the far left, except in the business school. I was at Tech in early 2000’s so I can’t speak to before or after that.
    But how does “Letting you know their political leanings” translate into the “perception gap.” The “perception gap” is the caricature of what the OTHER party believes.

That sort of messaging comes from the left wing and right wing media.

I feel like political leanings are presented as fact and non negotiable in many classrooms. Kids believe professors and give them credibility simply because of their position. After long enough, you can believe anything.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I feel like political leanings are presented as fact and non negotiable in many classrooms. Kids believe professors and give them credibility simply because of their position. After long enough, you can believe anything.
    ...like the reason the south fought northern aggression. Makes for a better story when race is at the center.

...then 100 years later the democrats are holding back race relations.

...then 50 years later the democrats are blaming the republicans for bad race relations.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Would you agree that more educated people tend to read more news?

If so, then it seems like the news media is mostly responsible for the “perception gap” rather than the educational system.

I could probably count on one hand the number of times either “Republican” or “Democrat” was mentioned by a teacher, and that includes law school.
    I agree that there are definitely other factors besides education at play. I agree, I never heard democrat or republican mentioned by a teacher. Neither Tech nor LSU were particularly politically indoctrinating ( at least partially a function of studying engineering), but Tulane was pretty rampant with liberal ideology. There were definitely political/ideological discussions about fairness, equality, morality, diversity, ethics etc that were enough let me know where most of my professors stood politically.

I did find it interesting that they said conservatives were not more likely to misrepresent their opponents. They didn't say they were better, just not worse. It's a funny way of wording it, but interesting.

Hard sciences tend to be a little more balanced on the political spectrum than other departments. i would suspect business would be a little better than some of the liberal arts. I did not feel like I was indoctrinated in my higher education, but my classmates and professors in business at Tulane were certainly more liberal than my classmates at Tech or LSU. It has probably influenced me at least in some respects.

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    I agree that there are definitely other factors besides education at play. I agree, I never heard democrat or republican mentioned by a teacher. Neither Tech nor LSU were particularly politically indoctrinating ( at least partially a function of studying engineering), but Tulane was pretty rampant with liberal ideology. There were definitely political/ideological discussions about fairness, equality, morality, diversity, ethics etc that were enough let me know where most of my professors stood politically.

I did find it interesting that they said conservatives were not more likely to misrepresent their opponents. They didn't say they were better, just not worse. It's a funny way of wording it, but interesting.

Hard sciences tend to be a little more balanced on the political spectrum than other departments. i would suspect business would be a little better than some of the liberal arts. I did not feel like I was indoctrinated in my higher education, but my classmates and professors in business at Tulane were certainly more liberal than my classmates at Tech or LSU. It has probably influenced me at least in some respects.
    Tulane attracts a lot of people from the Northeast. I didn’t think the law school was very political. The study of law is too granular, too fact-specific, for that.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

I entered Tech as a moderate. I graduated as a staunch, Reagan conservative. I won't name names, but being exposed to a few liberal Tech professors was all I needed to show me which way was the right way for me.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Tulane attracts a lot of people from the Northeast. I didn’t think the law school was very political. The study of law is too granular, too fact-specific, for that.
    That's pretty funny right there!

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Was your law school experience different?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Was your law school experience different?
    Thank the Good Lord I didn't go to law school. I have plenty of Christian lawyer buddies and a few that aren't (Tyler is a huge hub for lawyers). They will tell you immediately what a biased and liberal stance their professors took in law classes. Yes they might state or have you study the facts of cases and the law behind it. But the bottom line was they also tried to cut from your brain those conservative morals and life guidelines which were instilled and formed you as well as what you were taught or experienced growing up. If you didn't get totally confused about your beliefs and personal "lines in the sand" as a undergrad; then law school surely would attempt to mess you up.

+ Reply to Thread