+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Graph on Nobel Prize Winners

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting Graph on Nobel Prize Winners

Note that Jews have won 21.1% of Nobel prizes while muslims have won 0.8%. Jews make up only 0.2% of the world's population while muslims make up about 20% of the world's population. https://www.google.com/search?q=nobel+prize+winners+by+religion&tbm=isch& source=iu&ictx=1&fir=Dv9Ivc8qho8O5M%253A%252ChyqeN sTvMpPuYM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kS2F9g_wtg6sKgbc7Umf_dMGb1Sig&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwifqu _j3qHjAhUHK80KHYmjCu8Q
    L
    ooks like praying to allah 5 times a day is not helping them.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Re: Interesting Graph on Nobel Prize Winners

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    I believe in God. If I'm wrong, I'll never know it.

You do not believe in God. If you're wrong, you will definitely know it.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brtransplant View Post
    I believe in God. If I'm wrong, I'll never know it.

You do not believe in God. If you're wrong, you will definitely know it.
    That is known as Pascal’s wager.

You believe in one specific god. You could also be wrong about which one is the right one. You very well could suffer eternal damnation for choosing wrongly.

If I am wrong, I don’t want any part of your god’s “heaven”, so I am good either way.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

That is known as Pascal’s wager.

You believe in one specific god. You could also be wrong about which one is the right one. You very well could suffer eternal damnation for choosing wrongly.

If I am wrong, I don’t want any part of your god’s “heaven”, so I am good either way.
    It's ending up in hell that should worry you.

It's ending up in hell that should worry you.
    Why should I worry about something that isn’t going to happen?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Pascal needed some more time in 1st Corinthians 15.

Why should I worry about something that isn’t going to happen?
    Read the Bible.

Read the Bible.
    I prefer nonfiction.

I prefer nonfiction.
    Seriously, have you ever read it, or is your position based on only what others have told you it says? You should at least read the New Testament before making up your mind about a matter as serious as this.

Seriously, have you ever read it, or is your position based on only what others have told you it says? You should at least read the New Testament before making up your mind about a matter as serious as this.
    I have read it. Have you?

Because I don’t see how anyone could read the Bible and not conclude the following:

1. This is a time capsule of how humans without the benefit of scientific learning and enlightenment tried to make sense of the world and establish a moral code.

2. More importantly, the god of the Bible is an evil, petty, jealous, spiteful, capricious god. He commits murders, plagues, mass enslavements and chooses who to spare and save. He was kind of like Hitler.

3. None of it is believable. But if you were to believe it, I can’t see why you wouldn’t be just as likely to conclude that hell separated from such a terrible god wouldn’t be better. And perhaps, if there is a real god, the Bible is just a test: will you follow an evil powerful god on the promise of salvation or will you use your experiences in life to understand how people SHOULD be treated and then recognize that this god is evil. In this scenario, your salvation could actually be tied to rejecting the poisoned fruit offered by a lower god.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

3. None of it is believable.
    I've been looking into atheism lately but when I traced it all the way back to the beginning (Big Bang), I realized that if this was just a random happening by chance and there is no god then I must be delusional. There is something about me that thinks life matters. Things like love and forgiveness and justice. I admit I am biased because I have believed in God for so long, so these things may seem more real than they actually are. But if atheism is true, then none of this matters. Natural selection has just tricked our minds into "thinking" these things matter. Our brain really just evolved in a way to trick us to survive, for no apparent reason other than reproduction (but not even that matters). Hitler wasn't "wrong" to kill people, his brain just failed to evolve correctly, right? There is no wrong and right, just opinion based on how an individual's brain evolved through the billions of years. I find that unbelievable. Almost everyone seems to believe their life and their decisions matter. Therefore, I think that's why most people believe there is God. The other option leaves us admittedly delusional.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    I've been looking into atheism lately but when I traced it all the way back to the beginning (Big Bang), I realized that if this was just a random happening by chance and there is no god then I must be delusional. There is something about me that thinks life matters. Things like love and forgiveness and justice. I admit I am biased because I have believed in God for so long, so these things may seem more real than they actually are. But if atheism is true, then none of this matters. Natural selection has just tricked our minds into "thinking" these things matter. Our brain really just evolved in a way to trick us to survive, for no apparent reason other than reproduction (but not even that matters). Hitler wasn't "wrong" to kill people, his brain just failed to evolve correctly, right? There is no wrong and right, just opinion based on how an individual's brain evolved through the billions of years. I find that unbelievable. Almost everyone seems to believe their life and their decisions matter. Therefore, I think that's why most people believe there is God. The other option leaves us admittedly delusional.
    Memetics is the field that seeks to explain what you are describing.

Memetics is the field that seeks to explain what you are describing.
    And the various world religions are all great examples of successful memes. A meme is not successful because it is good for its “host”, but because the host and the idea enjoy a certain type of memetic symbiosis that allows the meme to survive and spread.

Hitler himself was “infected” by a certain meme that was very powerful, but in the context of other dominant memes of the time, fortunately, was anathematic. Similar variants of Hitler’s meme are recurring. These ideas hold power in the brains of their subjects.

The whole world doesn’t have to reduce to black and white. The real beauty of the world is best appreciated in color.

+ Reply to Thread