+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: “Conservative” nationalism subverts individual liberty

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: “Conservative” nationalism subverts individual liberty

Anti-individualism seems to be the unifying theory of the ascendant political right. If government infringements on personal liberty are the price of achieving good outcomes, conservatives are more than happy to pay it.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

It is weird. Prior to Trump, I was under the impression that folks in this forum cared about liberty as much as I do. I am not sure if Trump changed people or if he just exposed what people on this forum actually cared most about.

He has divided this forum (and America) over ideas that used to unify people.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

But then again FoxNews also made a big change once Trump became the presumptive nominee. They really started to push this populism theme. The Republican Party then started to look a lot more like the Occupy Wall Streeters/Warren/ Sanders types and started to hate successful business like Big Tech that were deemed to be too powerful.

Bizarre world.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

LOL!! OMG!

Well, now that we've had our little laugh over that piece of crap article...we return you to reality.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    LOL!! OMG!

Well, now that we've had our little laugh over that piece of crap article...we return you to reality.
    Stings huh?

Here's another one that I thought particularly interesting: Rush Limbaugh Abandons Fiscal Conservatism

Limbaugh: Nobody is a fiscal conservative anymore. All this talk about concern for the deficit and the budget has been bogus for as long as it's been around.

Also Limbaugh (pre-Trump water carrying posture): They are admitting that big spending is a huge problem. In pointing to this piece, "Hey, it isn't me, it isn't me," they are admitting, they are accepting the premise, if you will, the Tea Party premise, our premise, that Obama's spending is reckless, that it's dangerous, that it is destroying the future of your kids and grandkids. That's why the Tea Party exists. People know that this is happening. They know they've never seen spending like this. They know they've never seen indebtedness racked up this fast. They know it instinctively. That's why the Tea Party came into existence.

Trumpbaugh: How many years have people tried to scare everybody about [the deficit]? How many years, how many decades have politicians tried to scare us about the deficit, the national debt, (Sen. Jim Sasser pronunciation) "the dafycit," any number of things? Yet here we're still here, and the great jaws of the deficit have not bitten off our heads and chewed them up and spit them out.

Hope y'all realize you're getting bamboozled before it's too late.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Relatedly, Trump is about to have the first Trillion dollar deficit ever.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill...for-2019%3famp

And that is with a great economy and low unemployment. What do you think will happen when the inevitable recession hits?

Those rosy return projections that many on her were championing (while I was a near lone voice explaining that the tax cuts were going to balloon the deficit) didn’t really pan out.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Here's another one that I thought particularly interesting: Rush Limbaugh Abandons Fiscal Conservatism

Limbaugh: Nobody is a fiscal conservative anymore. All this talk about concern for the deficit and the budget has been bogus for as long as it's been around.

Also Limbaugh (pre-Trump water carrying posture): They are admitting that big spending is a huge problem. In pointing to this piece, "Hey, it isn't me, it isn't me," they are admitting, they are accepting the premise, if you will, the Tea Party premise, our premise, that Obama's spending is reckless, that it's dangerous, that it is destroying the future of your kids and grandkids. That's why the Tea Party exists. People know that this is happening. They know they've never seen spending like this. They know they've never seen indebtedness racked up this fast. They know it instinctively. That's why the Tea Party came into existence.

Trumpbaugh: How many years have people tried to scare everybody about [the deficit]? How many years, how many decades have politicians tried to scare us about the deficit, the national debt, (Sen. Jim Sasser pronunciation) "the dafycit," any number of things? Yet here we're still here, and the great jaws of the deficit have not bitten off our heads and chewed them up and spit them out.

Hope y'all realize you're getting bamboozled before it's too late.
    So you think the democrats are going to lower the deficit?

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    So you think the democrats are going to lower the deficit?
    Last president that ran a budget surplus was a Democrat. You guys hate his wife, who was also a centrist Democrat.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Last president that ran a budget surplus was a Democrat. You guys hate his wife, who was also a centrist Democrat.
    He had a lot of help from Newt Gingrich and a republican congress.

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    He had a lot of help from Newt Gingrich and a republican congress.
    Trump had a Republican Congress and the only thing he passed was a budget busting tax cut.

Btw, debts are a drag on future economic growth. Japan is a couple decades ahead of us and Europe about 10 years.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Stings huh?
    You really are lost. I could say more, a lot more, but think on this...while I appreciated the lunch, there is a reason you never saw a dime of all that money I had to invest.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

I believe that a total reset of the entire financial system is inevitable, and that it's too late to do anything about it.

Whenever I've had to keep a close eye on a person a business that was in the process of going bankrupt, I've noticed that that process always seems to include a few very predictable steps. The first step that usually starts all the trouble is when a person or a business has attempted to grow too large, too quickly. That is usually followed by never ending attempts to secure new and larger credit lines that will keep the enterprise afloat a while longer (you know, the old borrowing from Peter to pay Paul ploy). Finally, when the person running the enterprise comes to the realization that all is lost, that person will begin to borrow from any and everybody that will give him credit. Interest rates don't matter to him. Prices don't matter to him. Nothing matters to him because he now has no intention of ever repaying any of it.

I believe that we're in this final stage now with our nation's debt. The deep state that runs DC knows that there is no hope of ever repaying our ever growing debts and unfunded liabilities. What they're doing now is enriching themselves with as many real assets (physical precious metals, fine art, land, foreign investments, etc.) as is possible before the entire thing implodes. I was once an avid Tea Party member, but now I see no hope at all of ever bringing the spending in Washington under control. It's simply too late for that. I believe that we're all going to have to adjust to a lower standard of living in the future. Baby boomers will suffer, but it's our kids and our grandkids that will bear the brunt of all the irresponsible federal spending that's taken place over the last 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    You really are lost. I could say more, a lot more, but think on this...while I appreciated the lunch, there is a reason you never saw a dime of all that money I had to invest.
    🤣

That’s great. I must’ve hit a nerve. I wasn’t being snarky. It does sting. I’m still smarting from realizing that many of the folks I thought championed conservatism were really just power hungry posers. It’ll get better 80.

+ Reply to Thread