+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rutgers Univ sues Ruston High

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Rutgers Univ sues Ruston High

Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    Fred Dean and Johnny Robinson played for RHS, La Tech, and the NFL. Kentrell Brice didn't play during that era, but has been successful. He plays for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers now. Justin Rockett committed to LSU, but changed to La Tech. I don't think he ever played. Dude was 6' 8" and weighed in over 400 lbs. I'm not sure what happened with him.

Coach Billy Laird was a quarterback at La Tech. Coach Chick Childress earned his masters degree from La Tech. Unfortunately, Tech wasn't Division I-A until 1989, and wasn't pulling 3+ star recruits until after RHS' heyday.
    Tech was I-A for Johnny Robinson's entire career (1977-80) after moving up in 1975. Matt Dunigan's career is counted as I-A since 1982 was the only year he played in I-AA.

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    Tech was I-A for Johnny Robinson's entire career (1977-80) after moving up in 1975. Matt Dunigan's career is counted as I-A since 1982 was the only year he played in I-AA.
    Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but Tech was in the Southland Conference from 1971–1986. I don't recall that conference ever being Division I-A. Please enlighten me with citations.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but Tech was in the Southland Conference from 1971–1986. I don't recall that conference ever being Division I-A. Please enlighten me with citations.
    Division I separated into Division I-A (the predecessor to the FBS) and I-AA (predecessor of the FCS) prior to the 1978 season.
    1978-1981 SLC was 1-A https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_N...rogram_changes
    1982 SLC dropped to 1-AA
    This was the first season the Ivy League, Southern Conference, and Southland Conference competed at the I-AA (FCS) level.[7] Southwestern Louisiana] was the only team from those three conferences to remain in Division I-A, becoming an independent.
    • Ivy League — Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Pennsylvania, Princeton, and Yale
    • Southern Conference — Appalachian State, Chattanooga, East Tennessee State, Furman, Marshall, The Citadel, VMI, and Western Carolina
    • Southland Conference — Arkansas State, Lamar, Louisiana Tech, McNeese State, and Texas–Arlington
      • Southwestern Louisiana, who had been a member of the Southland during the 1981 season, remained in Division I-A as an Independent. The school was renamed the University of Louisiana at Lafayette in 1999.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Just curious, but 1A was not called 1A until there was a 1AA right? Before that it was division 1 which confuses many Tech fans who have forgotten that we played in two division 1 bowl games in the 70s when there were only 11 or 12 bowl games total. Many of our fans are as confused about our "1A" history as they are about powder blue being on of our original colors.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Just curious, but 1A was not called 1A until there was a 1AA right? Before that it was division 1 which confuses many Tech fans who have forgotten that we played in two division 1 bowl games in the 70s when there were only 11 or 12 bowl games total. Many of our fans are as confused about our "1A" history as they are about powder blue being on of our original colors.
    That is COLUMBIA blue sir, and it was worn since 1894... beginning with Harry Howard

Varsity Bulldog Schoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    Speaking of that, did any of those RHS guys go on to Tech? Or did they go SEC? I wasn’t born yet but was always interested in it. In middle school we played Ruston and I noticed their scoreboard with their accomplishments and was kinda blown away.
    More specifically for that era and to the best of my recollection, one of the three '80's state champ teams had no players go on to play at "major" colleges and that was a source of pride for Childress (state champ with no superstars). The '90 team was loaded, however.

Rodney Young - LSU and NY Giants
    Bobby Williams - LSU
    Roymon Malcom - Auburn
    Charles Green - Nebraska
    Brad Laird - NSU
    Marsh Buice - McNeese

There may have been more but I can't remember.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

I also may be forgetting a few but here are some additions to that 90 list. A few of these guys were Jrs on the all-world 90 team but signed as Seniors.

John Carr, WR Tech
    Bryan Houston DT, ulm
    Young, OL Grambling
    Bonner Seamans, OL Northwestern State
    Shane Coleman, OL SAU
    Ron Ainsworth, DS Tech

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    Division I separated into Division I-A (the predecessor to the FBS) and I-AA (predecessor of the FCS) prior to the 1978 season.
    1982 SLC dropped to 1-AA
    I learned something new. I'm not sure how any of it is relevant to what I said originally. Tech simply wasn't pulling 3+ star recruits like they do now. That was the gist of what I was saying all this other stuff is trivial.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Rutgers Logo/Old Ruston

New Ruston Logo

I think the New logo would have been better off w/o the Serifs. It would look sharp with the rounded edges. I'm guessing someone has that already trademarked and they wanted something that was uniquely theirs.

They now have 10 years to stop using the Rutgers logo.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

BTW there was no lawsuit and our friends at Learfield, though not the Tech office, were in the middle of this ridiculous exchange.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    1982 SLC dropped to 1-AA
    And before the Division I split into I-A and I-AA, all Division I records count toward what is now FBS (what was I-A). The Southland Conference was in Division I starting in 1975 when Tech moved up from Division II.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Met a guy today that is a Rutgers alum. We discussed schools a bit and I brought up the tornado & Ruston High "R" thing.

He couldn't believe his school took a high school to task on the logo. He didn't think anyone would confuse a high school in Louisiana with a university in New Jersey regardless the logo. The cease & desist was out of line but he guessed he wasn't surprised by the school's admin.

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    The cease & desist was out of line but he guessed he wasn't surprised by the school's admin.
    Here's a good essay from Marquette Sports Law https://scholarship.law.marquette.ed...sist%20logo%22

In El Paso, New Mexico, Cathedral High School had been known as the Fighting Irish in the community for eighty-six years. Eighty-six years! Now they will just be known as the Irish.

Wisconsin has asked nearly forty schools in over two dozen states to stop using its logo and phase out its use on Web sites, uniforms and elsewhere.

+ Reply to Thread