+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YOU are the coach's coach. What constructive advice would you give to Holtz?

Big Dog Rama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant future Rama Jama's Avatar

YOU are the coach's coach. What constructive advice would you give to Holtz?

Let's pretend that you are the head coach to the head coach. He will adjust/change/implement what you say here. What is your plan and what needs to happen for Tech to run the table this year? (I'm just as frustrated as anyone, but if we can bring to the forefront, from multiple people, common changes needed, MAYBE we can get results.)

I'll start:

1. Let your OC and DC COACH. Leave them alone.
    2. Rotate QB2, and QB3 into the second quarter of the first couple of games. Turn them loose and see if the chemistry changes and if points are scored.

What else?

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: YOU are the coach's coach. What constructive advice would you give to Holtz?

I don't know if QB rotation is necessarily the answer although I am open to it.

However, when the QB's head is obviously not in the game, some perspective from the pine seems to help.

If you feel your lead is comfortable and you stop playing fast and hard, the opponent will keep playing.

7 > 3.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: YOU are the coach's coach. What constructive advice would you give to Holtz?

It's not like we've never seen J'mar play good. The question is, what makes J'mar play good? I honestly think he's an enigma to his own self. Rattay was waiting for him to figure it out, but maybe he can't. So that's my question--have you figured out what helps J'mar play better?

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Play fast and uptempo.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Play fast and uptempo.
    I think you design more runs for him (not rpo's) and tell him don't slide and pick up a few yards.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Well if I am the coach’s coach wouldn’t that make me the AD. First thing I would do is fire myself, after making sure a quality replacement like Mr. Cordaro up in Omaha takes over, and having left a special provision that every time Skip leaves obvious points on the field HogDawg gets to step on the field and give him a swift kick in the ass, in front of all 200 paying fans. Of course this is after he runs the 40 yd dash and comes back with an icee.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

What's this? Holtz doesn't need any advice. We have had FIVE straight winning seasons capped by FIVE straight bowl wins! You do know that only Wisconsin has matched us in this feat!

Some of you have ridiculous expectations. Have you seen our pathetic budget? You do know Ruston is very rural? LSU, and its controlled legislature, won't allow Tech to thrive. Heck, we don't even pay Holtz and the assistants as much as most of CUSA pays their coaches. How can you expect to compete at all, let alone win FIVE straight bowls!

I can remember days at Aillet with truly fewer than 5,000 fans in the stands at kickoff, down to maybe 1,000 by the time our lousy team limped into the 4th qtr, losing the single most pathetic game, IMO, in Tech history, 13-10 to SW Missouri State, da Bears! I was one of 26 fans still there when our last minute drive petered out...

Now, we have the luxury of complaining about 8+ wins and bowl wins every year, wow! Count your blessings...

How was that Dogsince65, did I nail it?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Play fast and uptempo.
    Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I think you design more runs for him (not rpo's) and tell him don't slide and pick up a few yards.
    Yep. Play loose and play fast. Accept that we'll have a few more turnovers and let it ride.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

No he won't, he absolutely positively will not change what the coaches coach tells him to, haha. He hasn't altered any such thing that has been blatantly obvious to the masses for years, so he's sure not going to get into changing anything that might be somewhat complicated. Holtz is a simpleton. He trusts more in the fate of something than trying to orchestrate its outcome. Basically just do what you do any hope its the right thing meanwhile we'll wait for the other team to do something stupid or unlucky so we can win more by default than anything else. He plays the time tested and old school proven odds of things like the scout from Moneyball, he's the scout, we're Billy. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ugN5aD5p2NU

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    Well if I am the coach’s coach wouldn’t that make me the AD. First thing I would do is fire myself, after making sure a quality replacement like Mr. Cordaro up in Omaha takes over, and having left a special provision that every time Skip leaves obvious points on the field HogDawg gets to step on the field and give him a swift kick in the ass, in front of all 200 paying fans. Of course this is after he runs the 40 yd dash and comes back with an icee.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Pretend every game is a bowl game!

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m concerned about your health. I suggest you retire.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Yep. Play loose and play fast. Accept that we'll have a few more turnovers and let it ride.
    When all Holtz can say positively is "he didn't put the ball in harm's way" in recapping a game, that's a problem. I agree, I want to start talking about good plays rather than non-bad plays. This low risk, low reward stuff doesn't win many tight games and makes potential decisive wins much closer.

Big Dog Rama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant future Rama Jama's Avatar

Play fast and uptempo.
    I agree. They really play better fast and up tempo.

I would also advise to go back and study Spurrier's "Fun and Gun" culture and strategy. When I was at Tech in the 80's games were fun to watch and we could not even tailgate.

+ Reply to Thread