+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Two more mass shootings

  1. #1
    Champ FriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond repute FriscoDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Frisco, TX
    Posts
    1,921

    Two more mass shootings

    When I was in school back in 70's and early 80's I actually brought guns to school. They were in the back window of my truck in my gun rack. We would sometimes go hunting before or after school. I locked my truck and no one ever stole my guns or shot up a school or anywhere else for that matter. There were crazy people back then just as there are today. Racism was more open, much less tolerance for things such as homosexuality etc. So what has changed in the last 40 years to get us where we are today?

    I have my own opinions but I would like to hear what others think.

  2. #2
    Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    30,867

    Re: Two more mass shootings

    This is not the reason for the shootings, well, not a big reason, but it doesn't help. The news conferences...

    Those stupid news conferences where the mayor, police chief, assistant police chief, sheriff, some FBI guy, the dog catcher, the governor, the cat catcher, and other politicians all take their turn at the mic and all say the exact same thing. Blah, blah, blah....know what? This is part of the motivation for these lunatics to do mass shootings...they want to be remembered like Bonnie & Clyde, Al Capone, or some such...don't give them the publicity they crave.

    Besides, these news conferences never have much in the way of news. "I can't speak to anything about the investigation." Next question, "Sorry, I can't answer that." And so on...

  3. #3
    Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    30,867

    Re: Two more mass shootings

    Oh...since the El Paso shooter survived...they usually go down in a blaze of in-glory...he might shed some light on why he, and others, do it.

  4. #4
    Varsity Bulldog ETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of light ETxBullDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    314

    Re: Two more mass shootings

    Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDog View Post
    When I was in school back in 70's and early 80's I actually brought guns to school. They were in the back window of my truck in my gun rack. We would sometimes go hunting before or after school. I locked my truck and no one ever stole my guns or shot up a school or anywhere else for that matter. There were crazy people back then just as there are today. Racism was more open, much less tolerance for things such as homosexuality etc. So what has changed in the last 40 years to get us where we are today?

    I have my own opinions but I would like to hear what others think.
    Desensitizing ultra violent video games and social media with instantaneous fame are a couple of major changes from the old and might I say simpler days.

  5. #5
    Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    3,352

    Re: Two more mass shootings

    Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Oh...since the El Paso shooter survived...they usually go down in a blaze of in-glory...he might shed some light on why he, and others, do it.
    It won't make any sense no matter what it was. This idiot obviously had a few screws loose, so whatever "logic" he may have used won't make any sense to the normal person. Kind of like the manifesto of the unibomber.

    I do see how this is now being used as a political battering ram and to continue a false narrative that nobody is willing to oppose. I heard old Beto say that Trump's rhetoric saying that there are good white supremacists and Nazis in Charlottesville is what made this guy think this was acceptable. Only Trump did not say that...the media did. Trump repudiated the very people they said he supported, and when he referred to "both sides" he was speaking about the people there to support the historical significance of the monuments AND the people there to demand they be taken down. It wasn't until the right and left wing loons showed up that it turned ugly. Another one that bothers me is when they say he said ALL Mexicans were rapists and murderers, when in fact he said no such thing. He said there were rapists and murderers among the people illegally jumping the fences from Mexico, and said we had the right to determine who comes into the country.

    Perhaps the media has a big role here in stoking these nutcases. Kind of like the guy that attacked the Republican baseball game because he viewed Republicans as EVIL. Wonder where he got that idea?

  6. #6
    Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ruston
    Posts
    11,967

    Re: Two more mass shootings

    I think it boils down to a handful of things. Lack of attention to mental health, lack of attention to those crying out by their actions for someone to give them instruction in life, and a huge need for Jesus which is being suppressed on all sides it seems.

  7. #7
    Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    baton rouge
    Posts
    2,566

    Re: Two more mass shootings

    It's a mental health/drug abuse issue. We need more psychiatric hospitals (once known as insane asylums) in this country. Some people are simply too crazy to be allowed to stay on the streets. When the only viable option is to lock a psycho away and throw away the key, we need that option available to us.

  8. #8
    Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    30,867

    Re: Two more mass shootings

    The Dayton shooter was mentally ill. People who knew him say he generated lists, usually girls, of people he wanted to kill. Of course, is generating a list enough for authorities to act? Someone...the police, a mental health worker, etc...might sit down and speak to such a person and try to learn why he felt the need to list people he says he wanted to kill. But up to that point he hadn't acted on it, hadn't committed any actual crime. Now, if he tried to enlist help and actually had a plan to carry out his killings that would be conspiracy to commit murder, which I believe is a crime. Still...what could "the state" do to such a person? Probably just refer him for some psychiatric screening.

    Students at the Dayton shooter's school say they fully expected him to shoot-up their school! If they had reported him they would probably have been chastised for over-reacting.

    Now the El Paso shooter... is "hate" a mental illness? For instance, can we say that Hitler's hatred for Jews was really a mental illness? Can someone get so caught up in hatred that they lose the ability to reason, lose all rational thought and thus slip into a state of mind where they no longer have control of themselves? Just like the good ole lefty who shot fellow Rummel Raider Rep. Steve Scalise at the baseball practice was motivated by hate; is it fair to say he was mentally ill?

    If yes, then how do we (society) identify such folks and then isolate them so they cannot shoot up Walmarts or baseball games? I guarantee the ACLU and other such entities would be screaming hysterically about the violation of those people's rights. And, they would have a point.

    I have other thoughts on this matter...

  9. #9
    Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    48,595

    Re: Two more mass shootings

    Quote Originally Posted by ETxBullDawg View Post
    Desensitizing ultra violent video games and social media with instantaneous fame are a couple of major changes from the old and might I say simpler days.
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post
    Perhaps the media has a big role here in stoking these nutcases. Kind of like the guy that attacked the Republican baseball game because he viewed Republicans as EVIL. Wonder where he got that idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I think it boils down to a handful of things. Lack of attention to mental health, lack of attention to those crying out by their actions for someone to give them instruction in life, and a huge need for Jesus which is being suppressed on all sides it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by brtransplant View Post
    It's a mental health/drug abuse issue. We need more psychiatric hospitals (once known as insane asylums) in this country. Some people are simply too crazy to be allowed to stay on the streets. When the only viable option is to lock a psycho away and throw away the key, we need that option available to us.
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    The Dayton shooter was mentally ill. People who knew him say he generated lists, usually girls, of people he wanted to kill. Of course, is generating a list enough for authorities to act? Someone...the police, a mental health worker, etc...might sit down and speak to such a person and try to learn why he felt the need to list people he says he wanted to kill. But up to that point he hadn't acted on it, hadn't committed any actual crime. Now, if he tried to enlist help and actually had a plan to carry out his killings that would be conspiracy to commit murder, which I believe is a crime. Still...what could "the state" do to such a person? Probably just refer him for some psychiatric screening.

    Students at the Dayton shooter's school say they fully expected him to shoot-up their school! If they had reported him they would probably have been chastised for over-reacting.

    Now the El Paso shooter... is "hate" a mental illness? For instance, can we say that Hitler's hatred for Jews was really a mental illness? Can someone get so caught up in hatred that they lose the ability to reason, lose all rational thought and thus slip into a state of mind where they no longer have control of themselves? Just like the good ole lefty who shot fellow Rummel Raider Rep. Steve Scalise at the baseball practice was motivated by hate; is it fair to say he was mentally ill?

    If yes, then how do we (society) identify such folks and then isolate them so they cannot shoot up Walmarts or baseball games? I guarantee the ACLU and other such entities would be screaming hysterically about the violation of those people's rights. And, they would have a point.
    The above comments are 100% correct IMHO; As well as TDS that being on TV 24/7 for 3 years is a huge issue as well. BTW, the ElPaso kid wasn't a Trump lover and in fact was a huge Enviro-Wacko parroting the leftist (read his dribble). Besides, killing people for fun or out of pure hate is evil to the core and mentally ill.

  10. #10
    Varsity Bulldog ETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of light ETxBullDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    314

    Re: Two more mass shootings

    Per El Paso newspaper:

    Since 2006, 11 mass shootings — not including Saturday's — have been committed by men who are 21 or younger.

  11. #11
    Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute detltu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Madisonville, LA
    Posts
    5,192

    Re: Two more mass shootings

    The crazy thing about the two shootings over the weekend is they both had warning signs. Like the MSD shooting in Florida, the perpetrators were noticeably unwell mentally. The question as dawg80 stated is if that unwellness was actionable. There is not an easy answer on that. Any action you take against people who post violent things online is a slippery slope and there will be collateral damage (people who lose their freedom even though they shouldn't). If posting violent messages and stories online is enough to lose your rights, then Beto O'Rourke could very well be one of those whose rights are removed.

    If there was an honest media outlet or any smart democrats they would be framing the discussion as this: "Is it worth some people losing their right to own a gun by mistake, to prevent some people dying in mass shootings"
    They won't prevent all mass shootings, and the number of people who wrongly have their gun rights taken away will greatly exceed those who correctly have their gun rights taken away. I think most people relatively in the middle politically would take that trade if they felt like the government would be responsible with that power.
    There would still have to be due process and you would need the ability to challenge any decisions, but if it meant saving lives I have to think the vast majority would have the discussion and potentially be agreeable with new proposals.

    The problem is we don't trust the government, we don't trust our political opponents, and we are left with proposals that want to ban certain types of guns while they make it fairly clear that they eventually would like to eliminate guns completely while the right says that any infringement on liberty is unacceptable.

    Furthermore, we throw around words like racist, bigot, ___phobe, concentration camp, nazi etc. as if they don't mean anything. Trumps opponents on the left and in the media constantly portray Trump as openly supporting racism, white supremacy etc. then say these shooters are emboldened by his "rhetoric". The Ohio shooter was reportedly a pretty hard core leftist. The guy in El paso was a right wing nutjob. The media and the left want Trump to take credit for all of it when the problem is much bigger than Trump and it's been going on long before he was in office.

    It's clear to me that nothing will be solved without some pain, and no one is willing to accept that pain.
    2017 LTAC Champion donor (110%)
    2017 Football Season ticket holder X3

  12. #12
    Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    48,595

    Re: Two more mass shootings

    Well, well......again all of these murders and murderer want-a-be's, no matter their politics or religion, are sicko's needing medication, help and put away and/or never allowed to carry, purchase or have guns. And murdering anyone is a hate crime!



    Dayton killer's demonic notebook scrawls...

    Satanic rituals...

    Meth smoker...




    In addition:

    Man goes on two-hour stabbing rampage in SoCal...

    'Pure evil'...

    SHOCK: Man stabs wife to death in front of horrified patrons at NYC salon...

    Woman In Hijab Stabbed At Pittsburgh Bus Shelter...

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts