+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Announcement

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Announcement

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Leadership in small towns vs. leadership in the rural areas...let me know how that turns out.

Voting bases control the towns that are going down the crapper. As you know, they'd be electing the parish wide leadership where now they only get one or two police jury members in most parishes like Richland (Delhi and Rayville).

KSDAWG, I figure Franklin Parish would be much worse off with parish wide voting rather than zoned police jurors. Y'all did the smart thing years ago with school consolidation. You may not have it great, but you have it much better than Richland, Morehouse, and the river parishes.
    School consolidation actually destroyed our parish. All the communities that invested in their local schools never bought in and moved their kids to private or out of parish schools. A large portion moved out period. Towns like Baskin, Gilbert, Fort and Ward III all had a school to rally around and once that was gone they dissipated. Richland has a fractured school system with two good schools, one ok and one bad. My wife teaches at Mangham so our kids are there and they have a lot of what I had growing up in Baskin. Mangham is top notch. They just did 12 million in renovations including an indoor football facility and locker rooms that even TECH would kill for. Delhi Charter is a good school but out of reach of the School Board, so they have had the Feds called on them many times.

Parish wide voting would be ok here in Franklin. You have two factions now. Winnsboro City and the Rest of Franklin. If there were a consolidation, a lot of redundancy would be replaced with newer and more important stuff. The reason it won't happen is as you discussed. City vs Parish. The City has shrunk and the parish has grown, but its still an everyday fight. I would say voting base is 67% Parish to 33% City.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by JAAgan View Post
    I never understood why North Louisiana was so reluctant to convert. To my way of thinking, a charter customized to the needs of your parish will always beat the generic. But it has been slow coming up here.
    God created the world in 6 days, but it took 6 and a half in North Louisiana.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    God created the world in 6 days, but it took 6 and a half in North Louisiana.

I tell people all the time that Franklin Parish is forty years behind the rest of the world. If it all ends tomorrow, I will still have plenty of time to fish.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    School consolidation actually destroyed our parish. All the communities that invested in their local schools never bought in and moved their kids to private or out of parish schools. A large portion moved out period. Towns like Baskin, Gilbert, Fort and Ward III all had a school to rally around and once that was gone they dissipated. Richland has a fractured school system with two good schools, one ok and one bad. My wife teaches at Mangham so our kids are there and they have a lot of what I had growing up in Baskin. Mangham is top notch. They just did 12 million in renovations including an indoor football facility and locker rooms that even TECH would kill for. Delhi Charter is a good school but out of reach of the School Board, so they have had the Feds called on them many times.

Parish wide voting would be ok here in Franklin. You have two factions now. Winnsboro City and the Rest of Franklin. If there were a consolidation, a lot of redundancy would be replaced with newer and more important stuff. The reason it won't happen is as you discussed. City vs Parish. The City has shrunk and the parish has grown, but its still an everyday fight. I would say voting base is 67% Parish to 33% City.
    How was the parish school system going to maintain all the community schools. You had C class schools in Ft Necessity, Baskin, Ward III with 1A schools in Crowville, Wisner, and Gilbert. The towns were dissapated long before the schools shut down. That was due to changes in the Ag industry, not school consolidation.

Richland Parish is in a mess with Mangham being the only bright spot. Even Mangham is requiring their HC/AD to teach classes now. The guy who put together all the great things you mentioned, Tommy Tharp, left because of the new demands put on him by the Richland Parish School Board.

Winnsboro has gone down hill over the past 30 years. Again, the Ag industry is the reason as it is with all the small towns in the region we both grew up in.

IMO, one of the exceptions is and has been Oak Grove and West Carrol Parish. Do you know what they don't have that ALL the other regional parishes have an abundance of?

How was the parish school system going to maintain all the community schools. You had C class schools in Ft Necessity, Baskin, Ward III with 1A schools in Crowville, Wisner, and Gilbert. The towns were dissapated long before the schools shut down. That was due to changes in the Ag industry, not school consolidation.

Richland Parish is in a mess with Mangham being the only bright spot. Even Mangham is requiring their HC/AD to teach classes now. The guy who put together all the great things you mentioned, Tommy Tharp, left because of the new demands put on him by the Richland Parish School Board.

Winnsboro has gone down hill over the past 30 years. Again, the Ag industry is the reason as it is with all the small towns in the region we both grew up in.

IMO, one of the exceptions is and has been Oak Grove and West Carrol Parish. Do you know what they don't have that ALL the other regional parishes have an abundance of?
    Under the conditions of the original agreement there would be three schools representing the main parts of the parish. Money was tight so many relented. By the time I was out of school they were down to two and finally one. It was based on a lie and the sole intent was to try and play 5A ball with the big boys. If Crowville, Winnsboro, and Wisner had been correctly administered as North, South and Winnsboro High, the folks in towns like Baskin and Ward III would have gone along with a consolidation with Crowvillle. Fort and Gilbert would have conceded to a Wisner under a new name too. But they didn't do as they promised and we hemorrhaged students for the next 15 years. Yes the communities were shrinking and yes it wasn't feasible to have a school in each Ward, but a core group of people got what they wanted by deception and deceit. Now we have a centralized school that is failing. This was a City vs. Parish fight and nobody knew it until it was over.

Richland is a mess and Mangham is a sole bright spot, but their teachers pay is light years ahead of the mean average and they allow out of parish students to follow their Teacher Parents. (Ouachita does not). Delhi High school is doing very well with what they have and Rayville is a mess. Tommy left because he was burnt out and unwilling to change. Everyone in NELA new his offense after 10 years of it and he wasn't putting in the time to condition his players anymore. He didn't invent the Mangham High Football tradition Moose Munyon did, He took the next step in progressing the program a lot like Skip has done here.

Winnsboro has followed the path of almost all the great Middle- America farm towns, albeit at a much slower pace. Being a crossroads for close to 70K people has allowed us to stem the tide shortly from the fates of St. Joe, Ferriday, Rayville, Delhi, Tallulah and Bastrop. Agriculture disappears and so did the factory jobs, but we still maintain over 10 lending institutions, a dozen insurance agencies and numerous other financial service based companies. Far too many for a normal town of 4500.

Oak Grove and West Carroll are another breed and no one can replicate that. They are so insulated from the rest of the world its scary. Its like Mayberry meets the Twilight zone when I go up there.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Under the conditions of the original agreement there would be three schools representing the main parts of the parish. Money was tight so many relented. By the time I was out of school they were down to two and finally one. It was based on a lie and the sole intent was to try and play 5A ball with the big boys. If Crowville, Winnsboro, and Wisner had been correctly administered as North, South and Winnsboro High, the folks in towns like Baskin and Ward III would have gone along with a consolidation with Crowvillle. Fort and Gilbert would have conceded to a Wisner under a new name too. But they didn't do as they promised and we hemorrhaged students for the next 15 years. Yes the communities were shrinking and yes it wasn't feasible to have a school in each Ward, but a core group of people got what they wanted by deception and deceit. Now we have a centralized school that is failing. This was a City vs. Parish fight and nobody knew it until it was over.

Richland is a mess and Mangham is a sole bright spot, but their teachers pay is light years ahead of the mean average and they allow out of parish students to follow their Teacher Parents. (Ouachita does not). Delhi High school is doing very well with what they have and Rayville is a mess. Tommy left because he was burnt out and unwilling to change. Everyone in NELA new his offense after 10 years of it and he wasn't putting in the time to condition his players anymore. He didn't invent the Mangham High Football tradition Moose Munyon did, He took the next step in progressing the program a lot like Skip has done here.

Winnsboro has followed the path of almost all the great Middle- America farm towns, albeit at a much slower pace. Being a crossroads for close to 70K people has allowed us to stem the tide shortly from the fates of St. Joe, Ferriday, Rayville, Delhi, Tallulah and Bastrop. Agriculture disappears and so did the factory jobs, but we still maintain over 10 lending institutions, a dozen insurance agencies and numerous other financial service based companies. Far too many for a normal town of 4500.

Oak Grove and West Carroll are another breed and no one can replicate that. They are so insulated from the rest of the world its scary. Its like Mayberry meets the Twilight zone when I go up there.
    Great thoughts you have put down here. We think alike for the most part.

Unlike almost every other small town in the region, Oak Grove/West Carrol never encouraged public housing. IMO, that is the biggest difference in where they are now vs towns like Rayville.

The biggest loss of what could have been in the region is Calhoun. Two exchanges on I-20, and those idiots go build a school down in Jackson Parish. Amazing!

Great thoughts you have put down here. We think alike for the most part.

Unlike almost every other small town in the region, Oak Grove/West Carrol never encouraged public housing. IMO, that is the biggest difference in where they are now vs towns like Rayville.

The biggest loss of what could have been in the region is Calhoun. Two exchanges on I-20, and those idiots go build a school down in Jackson Parish. Amazing!
    I agree with you. I'm in my mid thirties with four kids. North LA is my home and I only got to see the tail end of the golden era. I worry all the time about what its gonna take to make it to where my kids will stay or even if they should. While finishing my degree at Alabama, I did an eight page location analysis on for my senior project. I then turned around and used the same research criteria for NELA only to find grim results. A hundred years of neglect and harmful politics cannot be overcome by a few new ideas. Its ingrained in our culture and often what we struggle with at TECH. Tech produces some of the best and brightest in America, but seldom benefits from its fruits, because they all move away.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

May I quickly add something? I grew up in Ferriday mainly in the '50's and '60's. It was a thriving place and was strictly a "suburb" of Natchez. Most of the high paying jobs were across the river. In the early eighties, Natchez started losing it's industry base. Armstrong Tire and Rubber, Johns Manville and International Paper closed, with IP being the last and the largest. Whenever that occurred, Ferriday was doomed. Racial strife set in due to high unemployment and poor city management. Many of the service industries (banking, insurance, finance, etc.) either folded or began moving 8 miles eastward to Vidalia.

Vidalia has thrived primarily due to good city management and a stroke of luck. It had a very forward looking mayor, Sidney Murray, who was able to somehow get the financing and backing to build a hydroelectric plant in the very bottom of Concordia Parish off the Mississippi River. The agreement he struck was for cheap electricity rates for the town, which they are still reaping. Industry started coming in, and the town has thrived. Other things happened in Vidalia that left Ferriday in the dust. Ferriday is a just a shell of itself.

Ferriday and Vidalia are actually in east central Louisiana vs. northeast Louisiana. Folks identify more with Alexandria than Monroe, and Natchez is still the main player by far in the region. It still has a very strong agricultural base but the small farms are being consolidated into larger conglomerates. I see Ferriday fading away and being a footnote when it once was the strong point of Concordia Parish. The schools are showing the strain as well.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses View Post
    May I quickly add something? I grew up in Ferriday mainly in the '50's and '60's. It was a thriving place and was strictly a "suburb" of Natchez. Most of the high paying jobs were across the river. In the early eighties, Natchez started losing it's industry base. Armstrong Tire and Rubber, Johns Manville and International Paper closed, with IP being the last and the largest. Whenever that occurred, Ferriday was doomed. Racial strife set in due to high unemployment and poor city management. Many of the service industries (banking, insurance, finance, etc.) either folded or began moving 8 miles eastward to Vidalia.

Vidalia has thrived primarily due to good city management and a stroke of luck. It had a very forward looking mayor, Sidney Murray, who was able to somehow get the financing and backing to build a hydroelectric plant in the very bottom of Concordia Parish off the Mississippi River. The agreement he struck was for cheap electricity rates for the town, which they are still reaping. Industry started coming in, and the town has thrived. Other things happened in Vidalia that left Ferriday in the dust. Ferriday is a just a shell of itself.

Ferriday and Vidalia are actually in east central Louisiana vs. northeast Louisiana. Folks identify more with Alexandria than Monroe, and Natchez is still the main player by far in the region. It still has a very strong agricultural base but the small farms are being consolidated into larger conglomerates. I see Ferriday fading away and being a footnote when it once was the strong point of Concordia Parish. The schools are showing the strain as well.
    Ferriday is also one of the absolute worst speed traps in the entire state.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brtransplant View Post
    Ferriday is also one of the absolute worst speed traps in the entire state.
    The voice of experience?

My mom lives in Baton Rouge so I spend a considerable amount of time in Concordia-Adams County traveling back and forth. Ferriday has one of the prettiest down-towns and is right on the cusp of two of the finest lakes in the region. It also has a fantastic golf course and great "bones" if you will, but mismanagement is a major player in its downfall. Natchez too. The research that I have done over the last two years shows an economic disparity from Memphis down that is unlike any other in the country. We just happen to be dead in the middle of it. North LA as a whole has about 1.2 million people, just a bit smaller than the size of West Virginia. However our median household income is $10,000 below West Virginia. Let that sink in. There is no industry along the I-20 Corridor, and our tax base is 49th worst in the country for businesses. The majority of income created in NELA (outside of Ouachita Parish) is in the oilfield or on the farm.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

My mom lives in Baton Rouge so I spend a considerable amount of time in Concordia-Adams County traveling back and forth. Ferriday has one of the prettiest down-towns and is right on the cusp of two of the finest lakes in the region. It also has a fantastic golf course and great "bones" if you will, but mismanagement is a major player in its downfall. Natchez too. The research that I have done over the last two years shows an economic disparity from Memphis down that is unlike any other in the country. We just happen to be dead in the middle of it. North LA as a whole has about 1.2 million people, just a bit smaller than the size of West Virginia. However our median household income is $10,000 below West Virginia. Let that sink in. There is no industry along the I-20 Corridor, and our tax base is 49th worst in the country for businesses. The majority of income created in NELA (outside of Ouachita Parish) is in the oilfield or on the farm.
    You are right on the money. It also has a community college. Prior city managements have set Ferriday back decades. I certainly hope they can pull out of it. Natchez as well.

You are right on the money. It also has a community college. Prior city managements have set Ferriday back decades. I certainly hope they can pull out of it. Natchez as well.
    I think that its possible but it will take a drastic shift in view on whats important. Many City Managers tend to focus on immediate needs and treat symptoms instead of long term needs that develop infrastructure to grow out of. Natchez will have to develop first for Ferriday to grow but with the rumor of I-14 coming through Natchez, Alexandria to San Antonio, we could see a Renaissance of sorts for Cenla.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by JAAgan View Post
    Just to clarify a bit, converting to Home Rule Charter at the parish level is not the same as consolidating municipal and parish government, ala Baton Rouge, Lafayette, et al. The basic difference in many of these parishes is simply that instead of having to use the generic, one-size fits all, charter, the parish is allowed to create and tailor the form of government to fit its own needs. In many if not most cases, you still elect members from Districts, just as you did with Police Jurors. Another major difference is the power of the head of the Jury. In most of the parishes retaining the Police Jury format, the President of the Jury is more of a figure head, than a true executive. Since most parishes have a Jury President that is part time and mainly just a presiding officer, the really power rests with the full-time administrator, often called the Secretary. Under most Home Rule charters, the elected Parish President is a full-time executive running the parish and answering directly to the voters. Rather than an employee who answers to the Jury. Notice a lot of "mosts" and "somes" and "manys" in my comments. There are as many variations on parish government as there are stars in the sky, but there are some basic similarities. After teaching Louisiana government for nearly thirty years, I never understood why North Louisiana was so reluctant to convert. To my way of thinking, a charter customized to the needs of your parish will always beat the generic. But it has been slow coming up here.
    Excellent summary as usual -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Excellent summary as usual -
    I agree.

+ Reply to Thread